am i the only one

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
I am such a wimp when it comes to cold weather. I freeze to death this time of year . Im not scared of much of anything even rode bulls for a while but if it gets below 50 degrees im froze, I live in the mountains of VA and it don't get real cold here, it may get down in the teens a couple times a year. But as I get older (37 now) it seems like cold just cuts me to the bone . I don't see how you northerners take it .

I think im gonna move to Florida or Texas where its warm.

Ok im done whining now I gotta put another log on the fire!

It gets worse as you get older. Usually I toughen up as the weather gets colder but this year its just not happening. and its only 25 tonight but I had to put on a coat. When I was young I would sleep out in worse weather than this.

The more you stay outside, the more acclimatized you get. 20F seems cold in October, -20F seems cold in December, -40F seems cold in January, but anything above that, at that time, is just peachy. Wind is the biggest factor. I can handle -30F just fine in January, with absolutely no wind, but a 15 mile/hour wind is just too much at that temp.

Aaron":2rg6pb19 said:
The more you stay outside, the more acclimatized you get. 20F seems cold in October, -20F seems cold in December, -40F seems cold in January, but anything above that, at that time, is just peachy. Wind is the biggest factor. I can handle -30F just fine in January, with absolutely no wind, but a 15 mile/hour wind is just too much at that temp.

Aaron is right

But 37 and complaining about the cold?

LOL Aaron is bang on with his comments.

I am old enough to be Aarons daddy at nearly 59 and tonight it is touching close to minus 40 with the wind chill.

I will simply throw another log in the wood stove, make sure the doors and windows are all closed and go to bed.

Tomorrow I will dump an extra load of feed in front of all the animals and break the ice off of my moustache a few times while I do the chores.

All part of life. Cold tomorrow, hot the day after. In the end it all boils down to a day in the life of .....

Enjoy it as if it is your last - because as much as I hate to say it - for any one of us - it could be.

Best to all

Bez

Aaron":3jh0w00x said:

Yep... it's funny how we get to used to it up here that after a stretch of WELL below zero, -5 feels pretty darn balmy as long as the wind isn't blowing! It's -28 here right now and I just walked out to the barn to do chores in tennis shoes, a headband, gloves and a winter coat and didn't really bother me at all. Different story had the wind been blowing!

LazyARanch":11r7vgg4 said:
Aaron":11r7vgg4 said:

Yep... it's funny how we get to used to it up here that after a stretch of WELL below zero, -5 feels pretty darn balmy as long as the wind isn't blowing! It's -28 here right now and I just walked out to the barn to do chores in tennis shoes, a headband, gloves and a winter coat and didn't really bother me at all. Different story had the wind been blowing!

Well Lazy A - I can say I am just in from the night check and I wore about the same - so we are on the same page for clothing.

Cheers

Bez

Going down to minus 12 here tomorrow. And we get crazy wind. Once I'm in the thick of winter, I'm ok. It's the shoulder seasons when I get cold! A raw 35 degree day in Nov. is harder than a sunny 5 degree day in Jan. And by Feb. the days get just a bit longer, which tricks me into thinking it's warmer! (Gotta say I love my snow pants though!)

Now, a 90 degree day with high humidity? Ugh. I melt

Trapper, are you dressing properly. I am 63 and the weather does not stop me except for a pouring rain. I have not found the perfect rain gear. The weather beat me was just north of Yellowstone National Park in 1988. My neighbor talked me into a December elk hunt reserved for those who had not filled their regular season license. We backpacked in far enough to get away from the casual hunters. The snow was already about 20 inches deep. The elk were coming out of the park and going to lower meadows on the Yellowstone River. The first night got -20 degrees F. I was in a one man tent and put all my clothes on and still almost froze in a -10 rated bag. The next day, I told Mike I would not stay another night. That day I shot the only 6 point (One side count) bull I ever got. The bull fell in the 20 inches of snow and I could not begin to turn him by myself. I raked his guts out as best as I could. I got back to camp and when Mike got back it was too late to go back to the elk. We slept there another night and it was the longest night of my entire life. I would have welcomed the fires of He$$. The next day we walked out and I paid a guy with a horse at the trail head to pull my elk in. A bunch of guys helped load it in my pick-up. I took it to the butcher and he called and said the elk was spoiled. It was hard to believe but the snow on the side of the elk that was in the snow held in enough heat that I lost all the meat. But I have a 6 point bull elk mounted European style.

I am 33 and I tell ya hunting everyday kicks my butt the beta blockers I am on cause me to be really cold or really hot and I am sure it drives my family crazy. I can only stand the cold outside for short periods of time. My wife sleeps with a fan on in the bedroom and I freeze. Before I was on meds I never knew what being cold was.

Wearing plenty of clothes coveralls coat and 2 shirts. My neighbor freezes me to death she wears shorts year-round. The cold used to not bother me to bad now I get cold with almost no exposure. And no im not on any medicine. I guess im just gonna have have to deal with it and wait for 90 degrees again.

This is going to sound like Bez's Good Coyote/Bad Coyote theory.

Cold is more in your sense of perception than it is a threat. Sure it can make you uncomfortable. But apply mind over temperature. Tell your sense receptors they are receiving invalid data. Don't hunch up and restrict your circulation. Relax, stretch and say to yourself, this is invigorating. Before you know it, you'll be running around in your short pants.

inyati13":3s36zbc8 said:

Cold is more in your sense of perception than it is a threat. Sure it can make you uncomfortable. But apply mind over temperature. Tell your sense receptors they are receiving invalid data. Don't hunch up and restrict your circulation. Relax, stretch and say to yourself, this is invigorating. Before you know it, you'll be running around in your short pants.

My body will quickly say bull crap :D and my mind will follow shortly

inyati13":y8gochi5 said:

I notice this strategy didn't work so well for you on that Elk hunt in Yellowstone.

It is a matter of what you are use to. Anything above 50 degrees I am just wearing a Tee shirt and driving with the window down. I am not fond of below zero but I can always put on another layer. Above 90 I hate. I can only take off so much. Nice thing about where I live, it very rarely gets above 90 or below 0. Of course with global warming on its way I may need to move further north.

Latest posts