Along the lines of crazy cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
I have one that is very skittish and when the pressure is on and she can't get away she will try to fight. I thought about penning her up in the barn and feeding her and just being around her(on other side of pen) to get her used to me. Have any of you ever tried this? Will I be wasting my time? She is a good looking cow.

Gate Opener":1o1ye40y said:
I have one that is very skittish and when the pressure is on and she can't get away she will try to fight. I thought about penning her up in the barn and feeding her and just being around her(on other side of pen) to get her used to me. Have any of you ever tried this? Will I be wasting my time? She is a good looking cow.
If she is a loony you might think she has calmed down and then she may blow up on you when you least expect it.

Some that are skiddish eventually settle down. Have a Lim cow that was flighty as a heifer but has settled down and stands to be touched and worked.
Take along time to build trust....DMc

Gate Opener":pznig8f1 said:

When you put pressure on a cow she should have a place to move to. When would you need to put pressure on a cow and she couldn't get away?

Fred":1uquvb26 said:
Gate Opener":1uquvb26 said:

When you put pressure on a cow she should have a place to move to. When would you need to put pressure on a cow and she couldn't get away?

Good point but cows are like people in there fight or flight zone it is different on everyone of them.

Fred":16834yvk said:
Gate Opener":16834yvk said:

Sorry Fred about not giving enough details. It was when we were trying to load her into the trailer from the corral. She didn't want to go into the trailer.

One wild eyed cow can stir up the whole bunch. When I get a pen full I do give them some time to settle. If they don't settle in, they are off the payroll and hauled back to the sale barn.

Last one I hauled off was a white face brindle cow that I liked. She had a 150 foot flight zone and stirred up everything on the place when someone came out with me. Her flight zone was probably about 50 foot when I was alone.

I have to coax cows across the county road when I change pastures. I use calling cubes to get them across as fast as possible. In that situation, I can't afford for the whole bunch to get stirred up. Cows need to settle in real quick for the program I run.

The one I just hauled was a nice cow too and had nice calves. I managed to matador her two or three times in the pen and then I opened the squeeze door. When she charged I just stepped in and she banged into it. She did this 3 more times before I got her out. She had room to avoid me but didn't want to.

I am through messing with cows like that. I get hurt enough messing with calves.

No matter how young you are you're still too old to put up with cows that have the inclination the hurt you. I would hazard a guess that most if not all of the senior citizens on these boards would have a lot fewer aches and pains today if they had gotten shut of some nutty cows when they were younger.

dun

backhoeboogie":3ufxn3ms said:
One wild eyed cow can stir up the whole bunch. When I get a pen full I do give them some time to settle. If they don't settle in, they are off the payroll and hauled back to the sale barn.

Last one I hauled off was a white face brindle cow that I liked. She had a 150 foot flight zone and stirred up everything on the place when someone came out with me. Her flight zone was probably about 50 foot when I was alone.

I have to coax cows across the county road when I change pastures. I use calling cubes to get them across as fast as possible. In that situation, I can't afford for the whole bunch to get stirred up. Cows need to settle in real quick for the program I run.

That is what this cow does. Makes me mad. She has even gotten our old pet cow(hey Caustic) Daisy stirred up. Some of the cows have her figured out and ignore her.

Gate Opener":2vcrgbrw said:
That is what this cow does. Makes me mad. She has even gotten our old pet cow(hey Caustic) Daisy stirred up. Some of the cows have her figured out and ignore her.

Sale barn. Your sanity is well worth anything you lose one her. I kept one like that for 3 years. Kept the whole herd stirred up and her calves were just like her. Told my wife if I won the lottery, the first thing I'd do was go shoot that danged cow.

Just got rid of a nut case last Saturday. Most of the time she wouldn't come in the pens; if she did and you made a move to shut the gate, she'd turn and haul a$$ out of there. Now for the rest of the story: she WASN'T even our cow!
The old biddy showed up in our pasture last August all skinned up from head to toe with a BCS of about 2 sporting a salebarn tag. After about a 2 weeks, I finally get a call from the neighbor about a cow he just bought that's missing. I still don't know why he was buying cows in August in North Central Texas with no grass for the other 3 head on his 4 acre Ponderosa. Months pass with no luck getting her in the pens. Then the poor old neighbor man up and dies! We contact the family and the son-in-law says as soon as we can pen her he'll come to get her. After another month the son-in-law calls and says if you can't pen would you buy. I allowed as how I wasn't really interested. I continue trying to pen her. Of course, he hasn't offered to reimburse me for the last 5 months worth of feed. Finally last Saturday the b_ _ tch went in the pen and I slammed the gate shut.The son-in-law arrived with a broken-down, open topped trailer with an weaning age donkey colt in the front section. Talk about a rodeo. I finally got her loaded that's when I realized the trailer gate is broken! I had to use baling wire to hold the bottom of the gate shut. All this time the cow is spinning like a top in the trailer looking for a way out and then decides to try to climb out the top. As I was showing her the consequences of that particular the choice, the son-in-law asks what he owes me for taking care of the cow. I told him to just get to the salebarn asap and then he could settle up later. Of course I realize that I will probably never see a stinking penny but at least the cow is GONE.

Last year at a registered sale we sold a cow that had alwasy been calm and easy going, alert but not spooky. When we unloaded her off the trailer a the sale she flippped a woman that was sitting in the alley but well out of the way. She then calmly walked into the holding pen. She was there 3 days and calm and easy going as could be. When it came time to move her to the ring for the sale she just plodded along and they hit her a couple of times with a hotshot. When she got in the ring she was a total freaking nut case. Slinging snot, nellering, trying to take on everyone in sight. Later I talked to the guys that loaded her out after the sale and they said she was hard to move because she was so calm.
What it all boils down to is, they're cows, they have no idea what they're gonna do next, how can a mere human outguess them?

dun

Sell the cow!!Life's tooo short,and there's a lot of good ones out there..besides,the sale barn NEEDS a little excitement.. :lol:

dun":3hahfy8g said:
...When she got in the ring she was a total freaking nut case. Slinging snot, nellering, trying to take on everyone in sight...dun

dun, she did indeed put on a show! Nothing wrong with her athleticism! They are a lot like kids - just when you get a decent offer on them they show their behinds and the docking begins! :shock: :)

fit2btied":23dbet9y said:
dun":23dbet9y said:
...When she got in the ring she was a total freaking nut case. Slinging snot, nellering, trying to take on everyone in sight...dun

dun, she did indeed put on a show! Nothing wrong with her athleticism! They are a lot like kids - just when you get a decent offer on them they show their behinds and the docking begins! :shock: :)

I shouldn;t have, but I laughed the whole time she was in the ring. Didn;t laugh too hard when she sold for a pittance though.

dun

When we bought this cow she went through the ring just fine. That is one of the things we look for. I figure if they can behave there then they are good. Maybe someone doped her. ???

Gate Opener":2k4f5lq4 said:
When we bought this cow she went through the ring just fine. That is one of the things we look for. I figure if they can behave there then they are good. Maybe someone doped her. ???

The looney heafier that we finally darted and got back to the sale barn was calm when I bought her and a total lunatic by the time we got her home. Sound familiar?

dun

A friend of mine has a couple of brangus that you can,t get in the pasture with most of the time.
Why would anyone want to keep a cow like that?
Not me , there down the road if they don,t behave.

I've been known to buy a crazy acting cow at a sale-usually they're fine once they get home. Last fall, at the Butler Breeders sale in Lockhart, Texas I bought a good heifer for $900.00, nobody would even bid on her. The day before in the pens she was calm and gentle. When they brought her into the sale ring she did everything but fly. She tried to get up into the auctioneer's booth. She snorted, pawed and bucked every way she could. I figured she just got upset being in front of the crowd and with all of the excitement. The sale barn was packed. After the sale, the breeder told me he had no idea why she did that, that she's always been calm and easy to work. She follows me around at home like a dog. She would have probably brought somewhere between $2,500.00 and $5,000.00 had she behaved in the sale ring. I felt bad for the breeder but pretty good for myself.