Along the lines of crazy cow

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":11h2nd7u said:
I shouldn;t have, but I laughed the whole time she was in the ring. Didn;t laugh too hard when she sold for a pittance though.

dun

Yeah, that was definitely a shame. With her body style and volume, (boxcar on legs), she would have pounded out for more than she brought!

I've seen some that will hit those solid steel parts in the ring BAM and come back all bloody. My dad said he saw one knock herself out. I don't want anything to do with those cows.

The one we have is not that crazy. When she came at me I threw up my hands and hollared and she went away then came back also did the same thing to my husband. Still I don't like that one bit. I want them calm and sweet. :D

Rustler do you know how to judge which ones will calm when they get home or do you just take a chance?

At the Simm of the Ozarks sale last fall after our first walk-around, we had picked out 4 females we thought we wanted. When we went back for a more thorough look, one of them was going nuts. Her pen mates were gone so we thought she was just stirred up because of that. We found her pen mates being worked and tagged for the sale. Being worked included using a blowtorch instead of clippers to do the hair. They then took them inside and used a pressure washer to knock off the residue. They had apparently just finished her first. She was still nervous the next day for the sale but we figured under the circumstances, we'd take a chance. She has been fine since we got her home. That was my first experience with the blowtorching method of fitting, but upon discussion, it's apparently a fairly common practice. The owner didn't know anything about it. He had dropped them off and left for a bit and a couple of young men had told him not to worry about them, that they would get them ready for the sale for him.

fit2btied":pcyni9xg said:
At the Simm of the Ozarks sale last fall after our first walk-around, we had picked out 4 females we thought we wanted. When we went back for a more thorough look, one of them was going nuts. Her pen mates were gone so we thought she was just stirred up because of that. We found her pen mates being worked and tagged for the sale. Being worked included using a blowtorch instead of clippers to do the hair. They then took them inside and used a pressure washer to knock off the residue. They had apparently just finished her first. She was still nervous the next day for the sale but we figured under the circumstances, we'd take a chance. She has been fine since we got her home. That was my first experience with the blowtorching method of fitting, but upon discussion, it's apparently a fairly common practice. The owner didn't know anything about it. He had dropped them off and left for a bit and a couple of young men had told him not to worry about them, that they would get them ready for the sale for him.

I don't understand why more cows don;t go nust when they get torched. Seems like that would be a hugely upsetting process.

dun

Gate Opener,
Sometimes I just take a chance on being able to gentle them. In the case of the heifer that I mentioned in the previous post, I knew of the breeder (didn't really know him personally), but I knew that he had a good reputation as a breeder and had been around a long time. Plus, I had watched her out in the pens before the sale and she seemed very calm.

Now, there was a cow down in Gulfport, MS that came into the sale ring that I totally took a chance on. The only thing that I really knew about her was that she had come off of a farm in Maryland and that she had not really been handled. She had a great pedigree and was definitely worthy of joining my herd as far as her conformation and horn length (Longhorn). I didn't see her when they first brought her in to unload and pen her but I had heard that there was a wild, red cow that cleared all of the aisles and pens around her. They said that she came running off the trailer and hit the far side of the pen and bounced back. When she was brought into the sale ring of course she did everything that she was big enough to do. No one would dare raise their hand to bid. I thought about if for a minute or two and decided I'd be the fool to buy for her for $800.00. She wasn't too bad getting back home, I put her in the barn lot with some yearlings and introduced her to sweet feed. By the time she had been there a week she eagerly waited at the feed trough each morning. She's never been one that we can actually pet but she sure has earned her keep. We've done nothing but make money off of this cow. I guess my risk turned out to be a good one.

flaboy-":1zic7sb4 said:
The one I just hauled was a nice cow too and had nice calves. I managed to matador her two or three times in the pen and then I opened the squeeze door. When she charged I just stepped in and she banged into it. She did this 3 more times before I got her out. She had room to avoid me but didn't want to.

I am through messing with cows like that. I get hurt enough messing with calves.

remember a cow can kill or injure you just as bad as a bull.

GMN

I have had my fair share of crazy cows.One brahma zebu cow I had in the 80's was one I called wild b--ch.I sold her.The buyer and his 2 son-n-laws got put up on the fence trying to load her.
I try to drive her with my tractor back to the cowpen.She would fight and snort and bellowering every bit.Finally put a bucket of feed in the pen and a 200 ft hay string on the gate.
It worked.Finally got her in the trailer.But something I will never ever try again.I had to jump down into the trailer to slame the forward gate on her.She could have killed me,no doubt.Some of those crazy cows do put out some top quality calves.I have one right now about the same.But she is just fine out in the pasture or if you have some cubes.

Brahma Bull, I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about how my husband ran up in the trailer to slam the gate on that bull that tore up the auction pens and attacked every other animal he could get to once he got unloaded. I remember standing there with my eyes the size of saucers. I asked him why he felt he had to do that...and he explained that as crazy as that bull was acting he figured he better have him in as small an area as possible in the front of the trailer or else the ride to town would have been worse than it turned out to be anyway. Scary stuff!

Alice

Alice":1g2yvaj6 said:
Brahma Bull, I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about how my husband ran up in the trailer to slam the gate on that bull that tore up the auction pens and attacked every other animal he could get to once he got unloaded. I remember standing there with my eyes the size of saucers. I asked him why he felt he had to do that...and he explained that as crazy as that bull was acting he figured he better have him in as small an area as possible in the front of the trailer or else the ride to town would have been worse than it turned out to be anyway. Scary stuff!

Alice

When I had to close a nut case in the front I ran a rope from the gate and out the side. As she ran in the guy holding the rope ran just as fast and latched it behind her.

dun

cowboyup216":39bww9wi said:
Speaking of crazy cows. I was out feeding yesterday and looking over the calves to make sure all was well. Mind you I never turn my back on any cow and I saw old brangus #25 off in the distance with another cow eating their hay. So im walking about and I stop to admire the calves when this little heifer calf comes up to me and starts smelling of me. Well I reach down to try and check and see if she has any horn buds and I hear huffing and puffing and no sooner than I looked up 25 was hard charging head down and making deep grunting noises. I waited until she got into range and then clocked her with an axe handle across the top of her head and side stepped her and ran in a circle she went to stop suddenly and turn to come after me again and slipped on the rough ground and went down. After that she didnt want anymore cuz she hurt her leg and has been limping ever since course Im sure that axe handle to the head kinda rocked her head a little to. I think after I wean this calf off of her shes gone to mcdonalds.

I bet it was because she was attached to that calf, and the calf was by you at the time. Still that is very bizarre!

GMN

cowboyup216":3nn0fbg7 said:
Speaking of crazy cows. I was out feeding yesterday and looking over the calves to make sure all was well. Mind you I never turn my back on any cow and I saw old brangus #25 off in the distance with another cow eating their hay. So im walking about and I stop to admire the calves when this little heifer calf comes up to me and starts smelling of me. Well I reach down to try and check and see if she has any horn buds and I hear huffing and puffing and no sooner than I looked up 25 was hard charging head down and making deep grunting noises. I waited until she got into range and then clocked her with an axe handle across the top of her head and side stepped her and ran in a circle she went to stop suddenly and turn to come after me again and slipped on the rough ground and went down. After that she didnt want anymore cuz she hurt her leg and has been limping ever since course Im sure that axe handle to the head kinda rocked her head a little to. I think after I wean this calf off of her shes gone to mcdonalds.

I understand your thinking there but I always consider if mom is trying to protect her calf or not. Sometimes the most gentle get a little nuts with a calf on them. How is she with no calf? If she is sort of nuts with no calf then put wheels under her would be my advice.

Aye Alice I had another sort of crazy Brahma cow I had bought few years ago.We were having a difficult time geeting her in the loading shoot.So what worked is my wife ran along the fence on outside of the pen towards the shoot.You had to be there to see it.The cow ran right along the fence into the shoot.Should have got that on video.Might have made America's most funniest videos.

We had to haul a cow last weekend. I'm not sure if it was because of a full moon or what. Just went nuts on us. The neighbor called and said she was in his pasture. We got her up to his little pens. I should have known better. That witch tore them up. So after an hour or so of messing with her. I let her out on the road and walked her back to our place. After she got back in our place. Thats when she started running at me and acting a fool. Got her in our pens and she went over a 6 foot steel panel. Me and the hubby just looked in disbelief. She's never acted this way before. The next evening I took cubes down and put them in the pen. She really was not wanting to go in there,but she couldn't stand everyone else eating her cubes. Soon as she went in got the gate closed and I got to whipping her, to go in the shute. It took her about 5 seconds to be loaded. After,the trailor gate was close she went crazy. Pawing the floor ,blowing snot, jumping, kicking. That little ol trailor was just a rocking.
It was time for her to go. We had her checked at the sale barn. She had a calf last July. But she never bred back.

Brahma Bull":ovf4lats said:
Aye Alice I had another sort of crazy Brahma cow I had bought few years ago.We were having a difficult time geeting her in the loading shoot.So what worked is my wife ran along the fence on outside of the pen towards the shoot.You had to be there to see it.The cow ran right along the fence into the shoot.Should have got that on video.Might have made America's most funniest videos.

That would have been something to see! :lol:

Alice

Joy in Texas":b36899at said:
We had to haul a cow last weekend. I'm not sure if it was because of a full moon or what. Just went nuts on us. The neighbor called and said she was in his pasture. We got her up to his little pens. I should have known better. That witch tore them up. So after an hour or so of messing with her. I let her out on the road and walked her back to our place. After she got back in our place. Thats when she started running at me and acting a fool. Got her in our pens and she went over a 6 foot steel panel. Me and the hubby just looked in disbelief. She's never acted this way before. The next evening I took cubes down and put them in the pen. She really was not wanting to go in there,but she couldn't stand everyone else eating her cubes. Soon as she went in got the gate closed and I got to whipping her, to go in the shute. It took her about 5 seconds to be loaded. After,the trailor gate was close she went crazy. Pawing the floor ,blowing snot, jumping, kicking. That little ol trailor was just a rocking.
It was time for her to go. We had her checked at the sale barn. She had a calf last July. But she never bred back.

Well, whatever wacked her out hopefully she took with her...and away from you!

I'd never been around cattle that were crazy (only holsteins that were on the dairy) until a young cowboy that my brother knows dropped off several heifers he'd bought at the sale barn. Van and I went to help load them the next evening for their ride to the cowboy's place. My brother told us to watch 'em...they were crazy. I thought, crazy? Nah, surely not. Then I saw it happen...those crazy animals went ballistic. Ran right straight at my sister-in-law who was just standing around watching...drinking a beer...all mellowed out. I don't remember my brother moving so fast and hollering so loud.

I have no idea why my sister-in-law thought that the end of the run into the small holding pen was the place to be standing to enjoy the sight, but when my brother hollered and started running at her, she hauled butt. I think my brother scared her worse that the cows did.

Alice

Joy in Texas":1ni5yovr said:
Now days "I speak softly and carry a big stick" most of the time when I am around my bull and cows,can't ever completely trust them.My cow pen fence is over 6 foot tall.When I bought my property,it was Sartwell ranch.I heard those wild brahma cows cleared the fence no problem.Last year my bull wrecked the shute pen and busted down the gate when the vet tried to give him a vaccine.But outside the pen he is as gentle as a house cat when you have some cubes or apples.

Many, many years ago my dad had a Angus bull. My late brother and me used to go out and ride him around the pasture. Of course he went wherever he wanted to go and we just rode him. Of course I don't recommend this. We were kids.

The thing is that bull went nuts one day and went after my dad. If you got in the field with him he came charging. Had the vet check him after a bullet put him down and the vet said "rabies".

Latest posts