Alaska. The last frontier

Help Support CattleToday:

I think that they are hippies, with no cattle sense or common sense. The one episode where they try to blow up the stump, he has a dozer, why doesn't he just use it to slowly cut away at the roots and then push the stump out rather than try to blow it up? It takes him forever to blow it up because he doesn't have anything but gun powder and if you looked closely at when he had it "blown up" there roots had been all cut with a chain saw.

Great show, I enjoy it. Iowa, it's the nature of reality TV, a dozer would have been too easy ..... Why doze it when you can blow things up!

I guess I am just critical when they call it reality TV and it isn't reality. False labelling. I agree blowing things up is awesome and a lot of fun. So is dozing things. Maybe I just like destroying things. If you are going to blow things up though at least know how to make a decent explosive or go buy some. They tried idk how many times and failed. O well there are a lot worse shows on and I do enjoy watching it. I really like the Last American Cowboy though on Animal Planet when I can catch it. Closest thing to reality in any reality show I have seen yet.

I agree with Iowa I tried to watch the show but it is too fake and doesn't go along with common sense, I used to watch Rattlesnake Republic till they filmed a show close by in the oil fields, the landwoner let out they brought the snakes in and seeded them all over the place. The reality shows are staged and you have to watch them for entertainment and not as a learning tool. I still like Dr Pol but I feel a lot of it is staged.

I have watched a few episodes. If they are native to the area, just preserving a way of life that is one thing. If they are not, I get the feeling they are just avoiding a 9-5 job. The guy with cattle is probably doing the best he can. He's management practices seem questionable. I have never raised cattle in an extreme climate, so I can't judge him too harshly.

How about when they went on their epic "Cattle Drive" to the head of the bay. Half way there they stopped for the night. Happened to have a shiny pipe rail corral with a squeeze chute to hold them in. Where the heck did that come from. Nothing near that nice at the "Homestead".

Then there are the moonshiners keeping everything hush hush with a camera crew on hand!

dun":219be4gx said:
Then there are the moonshiners keeping everything hush hush with a camera crew on hand!
Or the guys who are digging for gold who are about to lose their house every year and never get enough gold to cover expenses... but they are back next year.
I think they are all trying to ride the coat tails of Deadliest Catch except they have to Hollywood up the other stories to add a little excitement. Hard to Hollywood a Bering Sea crab boat.

Survivor has to be one of the worst dramas. Aint no way those city folks could cut it if it were real. Most of them wouldn't sign on. A guy burns his hands and he has access to get medivac out in a chopper.

We lived in Kenai, Alaska when I was a kid. No phones in town back then. We were stuck on the pennisula after the '64 earthquake. Carnation powdered milk was what we had for weeks at school. We were glad to get it.

You see these shows and realize how much more technology had advanced. Heck you can call in an emergency unit if you get in trouble. Solar battery chargers etc. People seem less innovative because of technology.

Went back up to Alaska when my eldest bro passed on a few years back. It is nothing now like what it was back in the early 60's. Still, it is all about survival there. Social class does not come in to the picture much. Poor people have the neccessities. Rich folks often don't. Survival is a great equalizer.

It took us 10 cords of wood to make winter each year. Some years we got by with 8 but Dad always had 10 cords stacked.

Alaska is still a different world than anywhere else in the states. I was proud of my nephew and niece and their families perspective on how to cope and survive.

dun":gzjspcf8 said:

I sort of enjoy taht one...ol' Tickle looks drunk all the time. But overall I hate reality shows. I remind myself there is always a TV film crew on the backside of the camera all the time. All I hear from folks now is "Duck Dynasty". Watched it one time and had enough.

TexasBred":3ppi67bc said:
dun":3ppi67bc said:

I sort of enjoy taht one...ol' Tickle looks drunk all the time. But overall I hate reality shows. I remind myself there is always a TV film crew on the backside of the camera all the time. All I hear from folks now is "Duck Dynasty". Watched it one time and had enough.
Unless I'm really, really bored the only one I will watch is deadliest catch, and for a laugh sometimes the idiot animal catcher in kentucky

dun":j8p4hle6 said:
TexasBred":j8p4hle6 said:
dun":j8p4hle6 said:

Unless I'm really, really bored the only one I will watch is deadliest catch, and for a laugh sometimes the idiot animal catcher in kentucky

Duck Dynasty. They're wannabe rednecks with a few million each of you check their net worth. They have just enough nickels such that nothing really matters. The old man is the one I admire.

dun":ki51h3iv said:
TexasBred":ki51h3iv said:
dun":ki51h3iv said:

You do know that's Bigfoot don't you?

cowboy43":3quv0k92 said:
I guess next you are going to tell me wrestling ain't real :mad:
Nope it's real, I'm champ of the MMWA (Midget Mud Wrestling Association)

cowboy43":3eziat79 said:
I guess next you are going to tell me wrestling ain't real :mad:

Hey, BACK THE HE!! UP, my hero in wrestling was Andy Kaufman, I want to mirror his wrestling career.... just can't any women takers in my weight group! It's real!!!

dun":383zn7v4 said:
TexasBred":383zn7v4 said:
dun":383zn7v4 said:

dun, that fellow TV star in Kentucky may have been the one that my son and I watched on TV. We don't have TV at home, just dvd and vcr stuff. But I took him with me on a road trip to Yukon OK about this time last year. We stayed in a Best Western, and watched TV :lol2: . We watched a guy dive into a cesspool for a dam turtle, and then that same feller went to a barn to catch skunks. My son looked at me about the same time I looked at him, with the same look of dis-amazement :? (I know that is not a word, but I can't explain the emotion of our utter dis-enchantment :lol2: ). I was real proud of my boy, He was promptly giving the TV a piece of his mind, and how that shyt don't happen in real life.
Some of my family think that I deprive my children of the finer things in life ;-) , and I do struggle with this, but after seeing my children recognize the stupidity of "reality" TV, and thier reaction to it, I just can't help but feel a bit of satisfaction in knowing that they DO know the difference.
So, what does satellite TV cost? ;-) I do remember Andre the Giant and the Freebirds wrestling stars from my childhood