Alaska: Last Frontier

Help Support CattleToday:

I knew they were divorced. I would still take Jewel any day. Ty Murray is a legend all his own and as cowboy as anybody to ever put on a hat. His training from back in the day is really interesting to read about. Now back to cows in Alaska…………..😂
I'm with you on that one. Now that's a woman to be admired in more ways than one. She's no China doll on a shelf.

There are 5 different types of Alaska within the State, the southeastern, southcentral (Anchorage-Kenai-Homer) Interior (Fairbanks-Delta-Nenana-Denali) Arctic (Prudoe Bay-Barrow) Western (Bethal-Nome-Kotsabeu) Interior is where the tough nuts like me live. Not a million people live in this state. Delta Junction is the end of Alaska Hi-way and has the most active commercial farms (60 thousand acres) attached like is one of the largest and I personally know a few of them.

You guys feed cattle with horses? How in the world can you get an engine to stay running?
They just run. This is our third winter with a heated shop for the feeding tractor. That takes a lot of stress off.
I will note that we do not put additives in our fuel, we run what they bring us.

There are 5 different types of Alaska within the State, the southeastern, southcentral (Anchorage-Kenai-Homer) Interior (Fairbanks-Delta-Nenana-Denali) Arctic (Prudoe Bay-Barrow) Western (Bethal-Nome-Kotsabeu) Interior is where the tough nuts like me live. Not a million people live in this state. Delta Junction is the end of Alaska Hi-way and has the most active commercial farms (60 thousand acres) attached like is one of the largest and I personally know a few of them.
Wow. You named a lot of places my dad worked. He went to Alaska for at least 15 years. He helped make the pioneer roads to take equipment in. He loved it there. The company flew him up in March and back home in November. This is a photo I have of him. He said he was the first one to "punch a hole in that rock." They were making a road to the creek below. If you look closely, you can see him in the dozer.

Attachments

• Copy_of_karensdad.jpg
    Copy_of_karensdad.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 33
They just run. This is our third winter with a heated shop for the feeding tractor. That takes a lot of stress off.
I will note that we do not put additives in our fuel, we run what they bring us.
Is it number 1 fuel? That would stay fluid in a lot colder temps. Our fuel guy blends ours when he fills the tank. I think 25% num 1 will get us to -50, but I don't want to test it.

Is it number 1 fuel? That would stay fluid in a lot colder temps. Our fuel guy blends ours when he fills the tank. I think 25% num 1 will get us to -50, but I don't want to test it.
I haven't heard them use the term "number 1" etc. We have summer, seasonal, and winter. Or at least that's how they describe it to us yokels. In the fall they start blending and increasing the winter to summer ratio as winter approaches. By November all diesel sold will be straight winter fuel.

I haven't heard them use the term "number 1" etc. We have summer, seasonal, and winter. Or at least that's how they describe it to us yokels. In the fall they start blending and increasing the winter to summer ratio as winter approaches. By November all diesel sold will be straight winter fuel.
Number 1 is the same as home heating fuel oil. This is a little out of my expertise, but num 1 won't get until colder temps. How ever, we get less efficiency/ power out of num 1 because it has a lower flash point.

Latest posts