A shout out about the drought.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horticattleman":31ubsu6r said:
Be careful what you ask for. Obviously most of you haven't been thru the brunt of a hurricane before.

I have been through the brunt of a hurricane when I lived on the coast. It was bad.

I have also been completely burned out during a drought. Lost fences, barns, all contents of the barns - everything but the house. Hundred year old trees completely gone. The fire started miles from me and 9 fire departments could do nothing about it. It was too dry. That was much worse than a hurricane.

I completely abandoned pasture rotation. The little bit of rain I got a couple of weeks ago is allowing some grass to grow but not enough to keep up with the grazing. I leave the whole thing open and they are able to get enough but not to where I can confine them to one pasture long enough for another to grow.

I am gratefull for what rain we did get though. At least it allowed them to come down off the mountain and back into the fields. Heat is the big problem now but cooler temps are in the forecast along with a 10 to 50 percent chance of showers each day next week.

I've heard how bad it is around there....that's where we
were last year, i.e. no substantial rain from Oct 05 to
the late fall of 06---we were feeding hay in July 06.
I'm hoping the hurricane season will bring rain but no
damage to your area!

That's where we were last year too. :(

what grazing? all we have is dirt! you can't tell the grass in some spots from the dirt, its so brown.

Nowland Farms":bdikbpeo said:
MikeC":bdikbpeo said:
.....We should all go down to the Gulf and inhale real hard...

I'm at the gulf coast this week and am doing my part.Since I got here last Saturday, I already have one storm about to cross Cuba and come in the gulf. I have got it targeted to come up Mobile bay and arch up over NE Alabama, just like Opal did several years ago. I'll be here till Saturday, I should have the details worked by then. Stayed tuned.

Please just get it downgraded to a tropical depression before you send it our way. We only want the 24 hours worth of a good soaking rain.

Horticattleman":3oatxchi said:
Be careful what you ask for. Obviously most of you haven't been thru the brunt of a hurricane before.

Amen to that ride through a Cat 4 or 5 and see all the death and destruction and only an evil person could wish for one. You have a different outlook when you have to bury family members because of one. The last one took us three days to cut out of here with 13 men and equipment. A few days later I got to be a pallbearer for a cousin in a Rita related death.

hmmmm-1.gif

smbear2.gif

pray.gif

Caustic Burno":eq8sfa6b said:
Horticattleman":eq8sfa6b said:

Amen to that ride through a Cat 4 or 5 and see all the death and destruction and only an evil person could wish for one. You have a different outlook when you have to bury family members because of one. The last one took us three days to cut out of here with 13 men and equipment. A few days later I got to be a pallbearer for a cousin in a Rita related death.

CB,,,,I don't see any post in here with someone praying for a full fledged hurricane. I have had my share of hardships from hurricanes and imagine alot of people on here have also.

It still amazes me that we can turn a joking manner in which we deal with the drought and it turns into someone PRAYING for a hurricane and all its destruction.

This forum needs to issue several of us a chill pill at times and that imcludes me. We all need to take things a littler lighter at times and not make this forum of mostly opinions and BS so serious.

JMO

C HOLLAND":3jxra910 said:
Caustic Burno":3jxra910 said:
Horticattleman":3jxra910 said:

CB,,,,I don't see any post in here with someone praying for a full fledged hurricane. I have had my share of hardships from hurricanes and imagine alot of people on here have also.

It still amazes me that we can turn a joking manner in which we deal with the drought and it turns into someone PRAYING for a hurricane and all its destruction.

This forum needs to issue several of us a chill pill at times and that imcludes me. We all need to take things a littler lighter at times and not make this forum of mostly opinions and BS so serious.

JMO

Well, if a hurrycane gets in the gulf, it's going aground somewhere!

I'd just as soon it come by me then it would maybe save someone else the destruction!

Come on DEAN!!!!! :shock: :lol:

I sure am glad I took my chill pill today,,,:)

Mike I just got back from taking my wife to a follow up visit to the doc from a minor surgery she had Thursday and we stopped in Ozark at Walmart and it came a 5 minute shower and turned the place into a sauna. Nothing at my place 14 miles up the road though.

I want tropical depression dean, slow moving and lots of rain. No hurricane prayer coming from me.
:roll: :roll:

C HOLLAND":1zgxt0hk said:

Mike I just got back from taking my wife to a follow up visit to the doc from a minor surgery she had Thursday and we stopped in Ozark at Walmart and it came a 5 minute shower and turned the place into a sauna. Nothing at my place 14 miles up the road though.

I want tropical depression dean, slow moving and lots of rain. No hurricane prayer coming from me.
if you hadnt forgotten we was in a drought 2yrs.an when it broke it was flooding alot of people out.an when yalls drought breaks.yall maybe getting the rain thatweve gotten the last 4 months.i dont care if its droughts fires floods hurracanes.they are all deadly in their own way.

C HOLLAND":1y9u54rq said:

Hope the wife is doing OK. She has had a rough time. Prayers.

Tropical depression, Hurricane, Typhoon, Monsoon, Tornado, Snow Storm, I want SOMETHING to change the weather pattern! :lol:

OK, OK, I'm Chillin..........................

Bigbull, it's just like a bunch of NEVER HAPPY farmers, they want it like they are at Burger King and they want it THEIR WAY :lol: :lol:

My Mama told me "life is like a vacuum cleaner at times"

IT SUCKS,,, :lol: :lol:

Mike, dont blink, there may be a shower heading your way, I think even John may be getting some his way.

OK OK I am PRAYING now,,,,please let the rain hold together until it gets this far south.

C HOLLAND":2sjmbqd8 said:
Caustic Burno":2sjmbqd8 said:
Horticattleman":2sjmbqd8 said:

JMO

There is nothing good about a hurricane good hard working people somewhere are going to lose homes and lives. I have a heck of a sense of humor I just don't find people suffering humorus. In the county I live in 30% of the homes were destroyed in Rita.

Caustic Burno":1qa5oaqs said:
There is nothing good about a hurricane good hard working people somewhere are going to lose homes and lives. I have a heck of a sense of humor I just don't find people suffering humorus. In the county I live in 30% of the homes were destroyed in Rita.

Good post.

Hurricanes and drought are a part of life for folks. I wish no ill will on people.

The best thing to wish for at time like these would be "thy will, not my will be done"

In the end you will know if you did the right thing....... about the cattle that is.

If ya'll think anyone here is wanting suffering, death, and destruction, then you're as crazy as a runover dog. :p

MikeC":z94339ao said:
If ya'll think anyone here is wanting suffering, death, and destruction, then you're as crazy as a runover dog. :p

I never said that.

Wewild":114ovryq said:
MikeC":114ovryq said:

I never said that.

Well, you're not included in the "Ya'll" then. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts