a good dog...

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
mine is at least..;)

This calf has gotten alittle to big for his britches and has been bowing up at Fletcher..
picture.php

Fletcher is telling him to back off and go eat with the others in the above picture..calf tries to butt him and Fletcher proceeds to snap in his face, and drive the calf back..
picture.php

Calf gives up trying to pummel dog and goes back to eating.
picture.php

Last night, had cows WAY up at the top of the field..my pasture has alot of mesquite at the moment..the two momma cows were close and came right down when they heard me dump cubes..the steer and calves didnt.

I pointed up to the top of the field, told Fletcher "bring them down"..he took off into the mesquite..I didnt think he'd actually bring them down..figured he'd get up aways and then come back down..nope...I hear tromping and moo-ing..the steer and calves come trotting down with Fletcher behind them..driving them.

Now, I know..the cattle were probably moving in the general direction anyway..and it might have been different had Fletch been trying to move them somewhere they didnt want to go..but I sure was proud of this dog last night.

he doesnt take kindly to "sass"..so we did have an issue with the stud horse right after we got him..he took a real good kick in which the old boy saw stars..scared me, but he recovered just fine.

I think it stems from his immense desire to "help" and be an overacheiver..but after careful work, he gets along fine with the horses..he LOVES to go with us if we trail ride on them..he never gets far, stays right with us. I think he views all stock as his charges and I personally dont think he really "likes" any of them..but he respects that I call the shots, so he doesnt harass..but I can hear him muttering under his breath about how useless he feels the horses are..;)

There's a Blue Heeler in my neighborhood that challenges my Pitt Bull mix almost every time we take our 2 mile daybreak stroll. One morning recently there were two deer in that dogs yard and you know she sat up under the bushes watching those deer like they were hers and only came out to charge me and my dog as we passed by her "herd". What instincts the herding dogs have!

spinandslide":6m6l5nue said:
wait, your husband is an overacheiver and wants to help?

Lordy, send him down my way..LOL..;)

Well he is a hard-workin' man for sure, but I was thinking more along the lines
of the "muttering under his breath about how useless horses are"! :banana:

but I keep reminding him... the horses were here FIRST! ;-)

true LazyA!

Thankfully, my husband is "horsey"..probably more in the "competing" side then I am..I think going to hard, to heavy into competing at a young age burned me out..3AM mornings get harder and harder..much prefer teaching, trail rides, and demo's now!

TT-Heelers are tough dogs. my first "Stock" dog was a heeler..used him alot to move the grouchy roping steers thru the chutes. he was a tough tough customer..he looked like a bull terrier..big head, big body..
this was him on my mare..lost him to cancer 2 years ago.
spinandslide-albums-other+photos-picture63717-aqha-mare-lilly-with-dakota-on-board.jpg

Fletcher reminds me sometimes of him..in his mannerisms.

spinandslide":13f7sqy3 said:
true LazyA!

Thankfully, my husband is "horsey"..probably more in the "competing" side then I am..I think going to hard, to heavy into competing at a young age burned me out..3AM mornings get harder and harder..much prefer teaching, trail rides, and demo's now!

TT-Heelers are tough dogs. my first "Stock" dog was a heeler..used him alot to move the grouchy roping steers thru the chutes. he was a tough tough customer..he looked like a bull terrier..big head, big body..
this was him on my mare..lost him to cancer 2 years ago.
spinandslide-albums-other+photos-picture63717-aqha-mare-lilly-with-dakota-on-board.jpg

Fletcher reminds me sometimes of him..in his mannerisms.

He looks just like my dad's late BH Tia .

Fletcher is a real keeper :D

Great pics !

you know hillsdown, I havent encountered many heelers with "his look"..I find alot that look like my retired female..but not many with that big bully look to them.

Fletcher is a keeper!

Dare I admit, we are training for agility too?

Latest posts