8,000 Years Progress = 50 Years Progress

Help Support CattleToday:

Speaking of cloning and the morality issues, I just HAD to share a snippet that I lifted out of the LaGrand Hereford Dispersal Catalog today (page 3):

LaGrandBlurb.jpg

So, NOW that we know that MORALITY insurance is available, we can forge ahead with cloning!

George

Herefords.US":3cbq6mzx said:
Speaking of cloning and the morality issues, I just HAD to share a snippet that I lifted out of the LaGrand Hereford Dispersal Catalog today (page 3):

LaGrandBlurb.jpg

So, NOW that we know that MORALITY insurance is available, we can forge ahead with cloning!

George

That's fantastic....thanks for the post!

Perfect example!

But you can also just start with real world animals with a cattleman's eye.
Building a herd that is without a big name, but one that in time would retain one of its own.
The upside to the ideal is that you dont have to buy "high" and sale higher...
You can buy low and sale high. A reputaion for quality will get you a long way in this business.

Two herds that are close to me that have worked hard and have done well without the big name dollars behind em are thomas herefords in richmond ky raised p606 and own part of thm dunrango
and beckley hereford in irvine who bred the ontime bull right on his place.

Both didnt "buy" their place in line they bred it. Go old fashion planning with some sweat mistakes and blood....

Thats my plan, it isnt a short cut. but its a plan.

Sounds like a very good plan redfornow! Do you plan on using cloning and DNA recombining in addition to AI and ETs?

LaGrandBlurb.jpg

George

Hilarious! I guess the premium would be higher for some than others, huh?

HerefordSire":2gsmoyhk said:
I guess the premium would be higher for some than others, huh?[/i]
I know I couldn't afford it on my bull! I've got 4 calves sired by him, from his own daughters, in the last month - and I'm expecting 7-8 more!

George

Herefords.US":1vik3emq said:
HerefordSire":1vik3emq said:
I know I couldn't afford it on my bull! I've got 4 calves sired by him, from his own daughters, in the last month - and I'm expecting 7-8 more!

George

LOL...he was really incestual and immoral huh? Your premiums should really be high!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

From the 20X son or the Pounder son or another? Either way, I would be interested in the output, relatively speaking.

HerefordSire":2pk3yakk said:
Herefords.US":2pk3yakk said:
HerefordSire":2pk3yakk said:

George

LOL...he was really incestual and immoral huh? Your premiums should really be high!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

From the 20X son or the Pounder son or another? Either way, I would be interested in the output, relatively speaking.

20X son. So far, two heifer calves, 75 lbs, both little chunks. 1 bull calf, 82 lb. - solid. 1 bull calf - a little large at 86 lb. for a heifer, but I was expecting that one to be big - as her dam is linebred Enforcer 107H and her dam has typically thrown a little larger calf than most of my cows do. He's about the same size she was when she was born. All lively and going strong. So far, no problems noted and no evidence of anything sinister lurking in the genes. It'll be interesting to see how they develop out.

George

HerefordSire":7ynksiqn said:
Perfect example!

But you can also just start with real world animals with a cattleman's eye.
Building a herd that is without a big name, but one that in time would retain one of its own.
The upside to the ideal is that you dont have to buy "high" and sale higher...
You can buy low and sale high. A reputaion for quality will get you a long way in this business.

Two herds that are close to me that have worked hard and have done well without the big name dollars behind em are thomas herefords in richmond ky raised p606 and own part of thm dunrango
and beckley hereford in irvine who bred the ontime bull right on his place.

Both didnt "buy" their place in line they bred it. Go old fashion planning with some sweat mistakes and blood....

Thats my plan, it isnt a short cut. but its a plan.

Sounds like a very good plan redfornow! Do you plan on using cloning and DNA recombining in addition to AI and ETs?

I plan on going the old fashion way.

Alot of AI
Alittle ET
alot of linebreeding
and even more culling....

Give me ten years of good health and some luck? We should be fine.

20X son. So far, two heifer calves, 75 lbs, both little chunks. 1 bull calf, 82 lb. - solid. 1 bull calf - a little large at 86 lb. for a heifer, but I was expecting that one to be big - as her dam is linebred Enforcer 107H and her dam has typically thrown a little larger calf than most of my cows do. He's about the same size she was when she was born. All lively and going strong. So far, no problems noted and no evidence of anything sinister lurking in the genes. It'll be interesting to see how they develop out.

George

Are the four new calves 75% 20X? Also, what percentage does your 107H line bred cow's heifer have of 107H genes?

HerefordSire":efytwvlp said:
Are the four new calves 75% 20X? Also, what percentage does your 107H line bred cow's heifer have of 107H genes?

No, to be 75% 20X, they'd have to be 20X bred back to HIS daughters. They are 37.5% 20X. The cow(dam of the heifer) is 34.375% Enforcer 107H, a maternal granddaughter and traces back to him twice on the top side.(25 + 6.25 + 3.125 = 34.375%). She's a rather average looking cow, but she has really nicked well with my 20X son - producing 4 outstanding heifers and a son that I also used a little before selling him. I'll bet that most of my herd will eventually trace back to her, once I start retaining more bulls and linebreeding.

I haven't figured how much 107H blood is in 20X. But my bull's(20X son) dam is a straight Line 1 cow, so there isn't any Enforcer 107H back there.

George

Herefords.US":sedaa7cn said:
HerefordSire":sedaa7cn said:

No, to be 75% 20X, they'd have to be 20X bred back to HIS daughters. They are 37.5% 20X. The cow(dam of the heifer) is 34.375% Enforcer 107H, a maternal granddaughter and traces back to him twice on the top side.(25 + 6.25 + 3.125 = 34.375%). She's a rather average looking cow, but she has really nicked well with my 20X son - producing 4 outstanding heifers and a son that I also used a little before selling him. I'll bet that most of my herd will eventually trace back to her, once I start retaining more bulls and linebreeding.

I haven't figured how much 107H blood is in 20X. But my bull's(20X son) dam is a straight Line 1 cow, so there isn't any Enforcer 107H back there.

George

I would like to see you breed 107H to your line bred cow. What do you think you could do with the 37.5% 20X heifers when they are ready to breed to maximize value?

Herefords.US":vih1791u said:
HerefordSire":vih1791u said:
What do you think you could do with the 37.5% 20X heifers when they are ready to breed to maximize value?

I'm considering breeding them to a Black Hereford bull.

JN-Balder-3025_1780-pounds.jpg

That aint rite?!?!?!

Interesting. Are you getting concerned that Herefords may not be the way of the future because of the thousands and thousands of registered cattle hitting the blocks as the result of the recent dipersals?

HerefordSire":3s5u7w5d said:

Interesting. Are you getting concerned that Herefords may not be the way of the future because of the thousands and thousands of registered cattle hitting the blocks as the result of the recent dipersals?
an easy fix just put a black bull on em and your back in business. course you will have to lower yourself too a commercial status but wont be a total loss

HerefordSire":2cf38iby said:

No concern on my part. Good cattle, of any breed, will continue to be in demand.

It looks like there's a number of Angus breeders selling out as well. After all, Remitall has an equally large Angus herd being dispersed in a few days.

I just thought those Felton based Black Herefords could benefit from an infusion of Keynote muscle. You know - improve the breed! :tiphat:

George

Herefords.US":1l7xau15 said:
HerefordSire":1l7xau15 said:

No concern on my part. Good cattle, of any breed, will continue to be in demand.

It looks like there's a number of Angus breeders selling out as well. After all, Remitall has an equally large Angus herd being dispersed in a few days.

I just thought those Felton based Black Herefords could benefit from an infusion of Keynote muscle. You know - improve the breed! :tiphat:

George

Which Hereford animal is the Hereford component of the animal whose photo you presented?

Latest posts