This years replacements

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Here are some of our replacement heifers, the ones with blue tags are them. Some are by a Hereford bull and some by an Angus bull, one is by our neighbors Jersey bull.

76 Bar said:
Nice girls! When were they born & what do they weigh? What are your selection priorities for replacements?

They were born January and February, one black heifer came in early March from a purchased bred cow.
I don't have scales but sometimes use a weigh tape. Based on some of what we did weigh they should go somewhere around 550-650.
My selection priorities depend a lot on the cow, and whether or not she has been consistent, then overall health, growth and disposition of the calf.

If you ever get a scale you'll wonder how you managed without one. ;-)
My selection priorities depend a lot on the cow, and whether or not she has been consistent, then overall health, growth and disposition of the calf.
That covers all the bases that matter!

76 Bar said:
If you ever get a scale you'll wonder how you managed without one. ;-)
That covers all the bases that matter!

No doubt they are handy, I used to have a set of Paul scales for years under our old chute. A cable must have rusted and broke and being as how we no longer had an emphasis on selling registered cattle and the way it was set up it was hard to get cattle in the chute, I didn't replace the scales when I got another chute.

Latest posts