First ear’d cattle in over 35 years

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":2sbfhq1t said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2sbfhq1t said:
You'd think the Angus influence would take the goofy out of them.

the angus is what makes them goofy. PB Brahma are like little kittens.

Been my experience as well. My purebreds will follow me anywhere. Crazy about their babies though. Even my calmest cows really don't like to be put in a lot and run down a chute. Or put on a trailer and moved. Like many have said just be slow and steady and talk to them. It works. Even if people think you're crazy. They'll settle down.

I like them they look good. Feed bucket will calm them down along with age. I just try to never pen one by herself and always run at least two through the chute. I have bought some that never calmed down, but you got them young enough.

I moved two 14 month old heifers back to my commercial herd away from the bulls, which is where the 5 new tribe heifers will end up after they spend 60 days with the bulls. I figured I'd keep them where I can lay eyes on them daily, and keep a feed bucket in front of them for at least a couple of weeks.

The five began socializing a little this evening with the bulls, and two others, all this while I was milling around them slowly. Still ready to run like a deer if I moved too fast. Forgot to grab some decent pics until I was hauling down the road. Will tomorrow after I move some Simme cows with new calves around.

Caustic Burno":319cb2ei said:
M-5":319cb2ei said:
TennesseeTuxedo":319cb2ei said:

Dog gentle as you said.

Don't EVER be rough and loud with them.....they are like elephants; they will NEVER forget it.

TennesseeTuxedo":3cf5la6r said:
M-5":3cf5la6r said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3cf5la6r said:

Oh so all the legendary tales of high strung fence jumping Brahman cattle are simply BS?

Gotcha.
High strung comes in all breeds. A lot depends on environment and how cattle are handled. I have eared cattle. Most are dog gentle except when they have a new born calf. The occasional high headed one makes a better cow man out of me. You got to be smarter than the cow.

Gator's Rule, those are some good heifers. You will develop a greater appreciation for them as you see them perform in your hot ,humid climate.

BC":1to0z8ft said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1to0z8ft said:
M-5":1to0z8ft said:

Oh so all the legendary tales of high strung fence jumping Brahman cattle are simply BS?

Gotcha.
High strung comes in all breeds. A lot depends on environment and how cattle are handled. I have eared cattle. Most are dog gentle except when they have a new born calf. The occasional high headed one makes a better cow man out of me. You got to be smarter than the cow.

Gator's Rule, those are some good heifers. You will develop a greater appreciation for them as you see them perform in your hot ,humid climate.

I agree BC, I'm glad we dispelled the myth of wild Brahman cattle once and for all. Thanks.

TennesseeTuxedo":16cdpitr said:
BC":16cdpitr said:
TennesseeTuxedo":16cdpitr said:

Gotcha.

I agree BC, I'm glad we dispelled the myth of wild Brahman cattle once and for all. Thanks.
well there's always tomorrow,to look foward to a new one :cowboy:

I have a super baddie like that girl in the picture. She was halter broke bought her from the county fair commercial sale.
She is too gentle cept when she has a newborn, she is not playing then. After about two weeks she doesn't care what you do with the little leach.

M-5":niun0fwx said:
TennesseeTuxedo":niun0fwx said:

Don't know that I've ever seen Angus influence take the goofy out of anything.
:hide:

Silver":2wg3dg0l said:
M-5":2wg3dg0l said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2wg3dg0l said:

Makes ya wonder why the are so dang popular don't it?

TennesseeTuxedo":3rku4uly said:
Silver":3rku4uly said:
M-5":3rku4uly said:

They are actually not when you get to looking in pastures. Brahman influenced beef accounts for over 40% of the USA herd.

"HOUSTON, Texas (April 19, 2012) — David Riley discussed the challenge of being able to breed cattle in one part of the United States and raise them in another. Riley, a professor of animal science at Texas A&M University, spoke during the opening session of the 2012 Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) Research Symposium and Annual Meeting in Houston, sharing his research findings, Brahman Crossbred Performance in Distinct Segments of the United States Beef Industry.

David Riley
Most Bos taurus cattle have a difficult time performing in the southern United States due to the predominantly subtropical climate zone, Riley said. Bos taurus cattle maintain high body temperatures and respiration rates when exposed to extreme heat conditions. This doesn't mean that they can't survive; however, there is opportunity for the beef industry to utilize Bos indicus cattle, which can dissipate heat more easily, and create strong crossbreeding systems, Riley said. Today, Braham-influenced cattle comprise 42% of the U.S. cow herd due to their adaptability to rough conditions and the heterosis they offer in reproductive traits "

JMJ Farms":3lqdk39h said:
I will take a truck load if the money is right.

The money was right for me, so I took the whole pen. Since it wasn't private treaty, I will say I grabbed the gavel at $950, and should have taken the next pen of 5 from same breeder. Wish they were early bred, but now we will see just how they do with a Simmy calf. Pretty sure the baldy is bred if both did their job right.

Gators Rule":jbmcjjkg said:
JMJ Farms":jbmcjjkg said:
I will take a truck load if the money is right.

The money was right for me, so I took the whole pen. Since it wasn't private treaty, I will say I grabbed the gavel at $950, and should have taken the next pen of 5 from same breeder. Wish they were early bred, but now we will see just how they do with a Simmy calf. Pretty sure the baldy is bred if both did their job right.

I think you'll be well satisfied. Should make you some good cows.

Caustic Burno":1qcfn4sn said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1qcfn4sn said:
Silver":1qcfn4sn said:

They are actually not when you get to looking in pastures. Brahman influenced beef accounts for over 40% of the USA herd.

"HOUSTON, Texas (April 19, 2012) — David Riley discussed the challenge of being able to breed cattle in one part of the United States and raise them in another. Riley, a professor of animal science at Texas A&M University, spoke during the opening session of the 2012 Beef Improvement Federation (BIF) Research Symposium and Annual Meeting in Houston, sharing his research findings, Brahman Crossbred Performance in Distinct Segments of the United States Beef Industry.

David Riley
Most Bos taurus cattle have a difficult time performing in the southern United States due to the predominantly subtropical climate zone, Riley said. Bos taurus cattle maintain high body temperatures and respiration rates when exposed to extreme heat conditions. This doesn't mean that they can't survive; however, there is opportunity for the beef industry to utilize Bos indicus cattle, which can dissipate heat more easily, and create strong crossbreeding systems, Riley said. Today, Braham-influenced cattle comprise 42% of the U.S. cow herd due to their adaptability to rough conditions and the heterosis they offer in reproductive traits "
Today, Angus and Angus-cross cattle represent the majority of the total U.S. cow herd, with more than 60% of commercial cattle producers reporting their herds as Angus.
The top ten states in registrations for the 2018 fiscal year were:
Montana 30,445
Nebraska 25,708
Texas 22,735
South Dakota 21,698
Missouri 20,099
Kansas 18,915
Oklahoma 18,001
North Dakota 15,400
Iowa 12,557
Tennessee 10,919
I'm no angus pimp and i have no problem with brammers where they work but im tired of all the ******** going on.
To the OP glad you got a good price for them hope they work well for you.

Texas has nearly 11 million head of cattle and you think 23k is the majority?
Now that is Angus pimping.
I am sure Dr. Riley has no clue with decades of research in Fla. Mississippi and Texas.
I am not arguing with you. Your arguing
with one of the most known PhD in improving herd genetics.

Latest posts