2006 fall Mid-Atlantic Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Hill Creek Farm

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just came from the 2006 Fall Mid-Atlantic Bonanza Sale in Harrisonburg, Virginia. I think that this sale is getting better every year. Our top lot sold for $5300.00 to Dunrovin Farm and Bay Brook Farm, both of Virginia. Our Hereford bulls sold well with one going for $4000.00 to Triple L Ranch, TN. Some other bulls sold for $3000, $2500, and $1500. One bull, sired by 517, didn't sell, couldn't get a bid. So, the sale was really great and ran well. I would figure that the avg was around $2200. Take care everyone.

Hill Creek Farm":1eeio6qc said:
Hello everyone! I just came from the 2006 Fall Mid-Atlantic Bonanza Sale in Harrisonburg, Virginia. I think that this sale is getting better every year. Our top lot sold for $5300.00 to Dunrovin Farm and Bay Brook Farm, both of Virginia. Our Hereford bulls sold well with one going for $4000.00 to Triple L Ranch, TN. Some other bulls sold for $3000, $2500, and $1500. One bull, sired by 517, didn't sell, couldn't get a bid. So, the sale was really great and ran well. I would figure that the avg was around $2200. Take care everyone.

I'm just qouteing this for future reference.

And I'd like to mention the fact that Hill Creek is not listed as a consigner for this sale. Just scroll to the bottom of the linked page.
http://www.reedent.com/midwest/catalogs/va/16.html

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken - but I was under the impression that this . . . .person. . . . caved in on the Polled Hereford game, and became a - - you-betcha', sure as heck, top dog Angus enthusiast - - Black through and through! Even changed the farm name. None of this "Hill Creek" jazz anymore! :roll: Straight arrow, high class, premium stuff only - - ANGUS.

When did he get out?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":qjl8edbf said:
Someone please correct me if I am mistaken - but I was under the impression that this . . . .person. . . . caved in on the Polled Hereford game, and became a - - you-betcha', sure as heck, top dog Angus enthusiast - - Black through and through! Even changed the farm name. None of this "Hill Creek" jazz anymore! :roll: Straight arrow, high class, premium stuff only - - ANGUS.

A check of the Hereford cattle that Matthew advertised in the Hereford World magazine in July and August all show new owners. Perhaps he was just using the word "Our" as he would "We", in terms of "We cattle owners living in Virginia". I certainly don't think he meant that any cattle sold in the sale belonged to him personally. But I'm not certain that he didn't post that way just to get a reaction, though.

I was a lurker back when the HCF "meltdown" took place on this forum. I think the combination of his enthusiasm and lack of maturity really got him into trouble with people on this forum. Then with every subsequent action - and reaction - Matthew just dug the hole deeper and deeper to the point that he would never gain any respect here. I honestly felt sorry for him. I kept thinking how I would react if I had my hands on some of the best Hereford breeding cattle in the country at such a young age and I was challenged about it, as he was by other board members. Truthfully, I'm not sure that my reaction would have been that much better at 22. Now, I've got 30+ more years "experience" under my belt that has made me smarter than I was at 22.

I think Matthew failed to understand that buying and owning great cattle doesn't make you a great cattle breeder. Only after you've owned them for while, bred them, and produced a couple of generations of offspring from the breeding decisions that you've made would most cattlemen begin to regard you as a "breeder" at all. And the HCF prefix might have meant something then.

Matthew has saddled himself with an albatross that will be very difficult to overcome. Regardless of what he has - or hasn't learned from his experiences on this forum, he will have to work extra hard to live it down in the future. The cattle industry(even Angus breeders) is not SO large that he won't be reminded of his posts and antics here sometime in the future, as I'm sure that some have preserved the posts and threads on their computers for future reference.

He will certainly have to endure some ribbing, good natured and otherwise, if he continues with his dream of becoming a successful cattle BREEDER. I wish him well! And I especially wish him the insight to understand that the best thing he could do is to take at least a 5 year hiatus from this forum - until he has a couple or three generations of actually breeding cattle under his belt.

I'm reminded of a statement made to me in my youth by an elderly gentleman. He said, "Son, a smart person makes mistakes! But a smart person doesn't make the same mistake over and over!"

I do wish you luck, Matt!

George

I'm reminded of a statement made to me in my youth by an elderly gentleman. He said, "Son, a smart person makes mistakes! But a smart person doesn't make the same mistake over and over!"
George- I concur with your empathetic comments in regard to Matt. As a retired practitioner in the healing arts, I have encountered a few patients who exhibited similar actions as Matt has on these posts, and I am skeptical that he will be able to learn the lessons to which you refered - because the inner drive which precipitates those syndromes is strong and persistant. But I wish him luck, also, and perhaps his ego can be directed in a more convincing manner, and others may find credence in his words.

DOC HARRIS

I think IF Matt will just stay on the farm and breed the cows he has for the next ten years his antics here won't hurt him too much in the long run. Now there may be people who will be scared too deal with him 30 years from now, because of memories of this debacle; but I don't think this board is so widely read that it hurts him that bad LONGTERM. Now if he keeps acting as nutty as he has here in the REAL world he will be a local legend and nobody will want too deal with him at all.

George - That was an excellent post and you are a very eloquent speaker. I would never wish ill on anyone, and hope everyone succedes in their dreams. But I question if this young man has the self-control and humility to do these things you have suggested. Time will tell.

cfpinz

I was at the dag on sale and the $5,300 lot 1 was sold by Sky Acres out of Bradford VT. The bulls were consigned by Deer Track farm, bay brook farm, Norvue farms, and Donrovian Farms. Didn't see and from Hill Creek Farm and I checked out their papers pretty darn good and don't see any partial ownerships. If HCF was there and sold stuff then I met a dead man face to face. :lol: :lol:

If you were there HCF can you tell me what was for lunch and did you pick up one of the white papers off of the VHA table. If so what did the paper talk about?
EDIT:
This really burns my hide! Bet, you can't tell. I bought lot number 4 and 56.

The problem is he did not get any response from his 100% black angus post. Couldn't stand anyone not paying attention. It is interesting though, what kinda bs he keeps espousing.

He was on the Online thread by Alan, and I asked him if he was back in the Hereford business and he said no, then I saw this.....

Latest posts