1st time Hiefer laying down and off feed. 1st due date 4/3

Help Support CattleToday:

Roger/OH

Reaction score
For more info read my ?Calving & Clear Discharge on the Beginer's board.

Heifer has been in the barn since Sat. She didn't get up for feeding at first. She finally got up and nibbled a little on the hay. Didn't take any grain. Layed back down. No heavey breathing nor did I observe any contractions. Not bagged near as much as most of my cows the day of calving. However, I had one old gal that didn't bag much until the night before calving. Then she would bag up like your best dairy cow.

As stated before, all our cows have calved in the pasture in the past and I didn't worry much about them. This one is ny grandson's show heifer.
How does a cow act just before calving? Laying down and off feed is that common when calving is real near? For the past two days and when she was being showed, I would have to push her back from the gate just to get in and feed her. The first calve date would be April 3.

First time hiefer and she is 80% new genetics from the rest of the herd. I have no past to go on.

Never had

It could be normal behavior for a show animal to go off feed. Just make sure she has good clean hay and water. If she goes two days w/o eating then have a vet look at her. Montior her water intake by using a known amount in a bucket or trough so you know she is drinking. Is her stool normal? If she is ill, then it may or may not be related to the pregnancy. It is not uncommon for a first time heifer to be 5 days late past their due date. Lying around and seperating herself from the herd is normal in the later stages of pregnancy. She is probably just real uncomfortable about now.. ;-)

P.S. Let her out of the barn and let her relax by having room in a small lot if you have it.

Latest posts