Due date was yesterday.

Help Support CattleToday:

I can't quite understand what the discrepency is with the term BIRTH WEIGHT. BIRTH weight is just that... the weight AT BIRTH. It is not listed as Weight on Date Due birth weight... it is actual birth weight on actual birth day....
I have no problems with everyone saying that most start on their due date, with figuring from date of insemination to due date... and that after however many thousands of births that they come up with a number of the gestation length... I use the charts just as well as everyone else...

Still weighing 6 days after the ACTUAL birth date... for an "adjusted birth weight"... or weighing the cow and then taking some sort of a difference if she carries over 6 days from projected birth date.... this is getting to the point of ludicrous.

Yes @gcreekrch that is a little (pun intended) bit of an extreme in calving ease... but if the calf has a good will to live, it will still be a plus. Might not top the scales, but the heifer has had a chance to be a momma, got the routine down, and her insides will go back to normal real quick, and hopefully she will go on and breed right back and be good to go. We have an easy calving bull that puts 50-60 lb calves on the ground and they are little pistols and have lots of vim and vigor. The heifers don't go through any trauma and breed back and go on to have a nice decent calf next time around. And if the bloodlines are there, the calf will wean in the low end of the average because she milked good and the calf just hit the ground running and continued to grow.

A LIVE CALF beats a dead calf no matter the size... I don't want midgets, but I would rather small from a heifer any day of the week.
Not arguing any of that. Frail little calves just have a tough time with our cold spring. This one spent several hours in the shop with a heating pad on her or she would have been dead.

I do realize that your climate is tougher on the small and more frail calves as they just don't have the body mass, @gcreekrch . And I admire that putting her in the shop and getting her warmed up and going is a pain and that you still took the time and effort so she can have a chance. I wouldn't want small little ones up there either... and you have to get them on the ground early enough to get them out to pastures and have them big enough to have a chance against the predators you have. I do not envy you with dealing with all that.
We do not calve as early and do not have the weather to deal with that you do.
As has been said often, if you can raise cattle in your environment, you could go anywhere and do a bang up job of farming/ranching.

Most years we are 80 to 85% done in 30 days.
Gcreek, your figures are impressive! Says you are providing proper nutrition between calving and breeding, the most critical time in the cycle. Others need to take note. Keep up the good work!

Gcreek, your figures are impressive! Says you are providing proper nutrition between calving and breeding, the most critical time in the cycle. Others need to take note. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, I will give most credit to turning bulls out two weeks after flush of grass starts here. Our best feed i from mid June to late July.

Weather looking like it is turning to spring???? I am sure you are looking forward to the green grass coming on... It is still so beautiful up there where you are... even with the snow.....
Is that black one with the calf the "little one" ?? Looks pretty good... and a new one with momma attending to her job 👍

Weather looking like it is turning to spring???? I am sure you are looking forward to the green grass coming on... It is still so beautiful up there where you are... even with the snow.....
Is that black one with the calf the "little one" ?? Looks pretty good... and a new one with momma attending to her job 👍
Different heifer. We had a skiff of snow overnight, not bad out now although Kenny would still have his snowsuit on. 😂😂

We hit 86 today and I was out in short sleeved snap front shirt !!!!! Actually too warm too fast again.... some rain/showers coming in and a bit of a cool down for the weekend.

Latest posts