Due Date 9 Days Away.......

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
40 on the ground. 2 sets of twins.

A few premies and a couple stillborns from running them through for scour and blackleg vaccines. Happens every year no matter how gentle we handle them.

Oh, and a wolf became shot yesterday. #13 removed from the gene pool since last October. The rest were removed by a trapper we hire.

We generally start out in similar fashion with a premie or two and a set of stillborn twins or so, although this year was better.
Sure glad your wolf population is paying a price. Haven't had any around this spring thankfully.

If I had to guess the stillborns aren't from the handling so much. A gram negative vaccine can be hard on the fetus.

W.B.":3ggns0tc said:
If I had to guess the stillborns aren't from the handling so much. A gram negative vaccine can be hard on the fetus.

True

I had a first timer slip her calf a couple days after I did Scourgard.. think it had anything to do with it? she's a docile cow so the handling was easy.

-5 c, snowing sideways on an east wind.

Wish the barns were bigger or spring would come.

4 inches new snow last night. Another cow tried hatching a 12 hour old calf, didn't work. Was asleep and didn't check a cow after I got a leg straight and pulled her 90 lb calf. Pulled it's dead twin a few hours later........ 4rth set, have saved the rest.

90 now and it's not the 10th

W.B.":34cv8heq said:

W.B. what is a gram negative vaccine?

Thanks.

130 now. 5 1/2 sets of live twins. Snow conditions creating more stupid losses than we care to see.

Finally seeing the sun and melting today.

We start calving day after tomorrow.

gcreekrch":30w2icza said:
130 now. 5 1/2 sets of live twins. Snow conditions creating more stupid losses than we care to see.

Imagine how many calves you would have if you had turned the bulls in June 30.........

Dave":2mno7le5 said:
gcreekrch":2mno7le5 said:

Imagine how many calves you would have if you had turned the bulls in June 30.........

We have been 30% done before we started a couple times before. Won't get there this year.

I hope we won't, could be busy tomorrow................ :shock:

Latest posts