Due date was yesterday.

Help Support CattleToday:

Tagging and processing will be eating up a bit of time these days.
Yes, we calve heifers in a pen. Rest in two big groups and only bring in what needs attention. Can be confusing at times.
55% of heifers done.

Update
Lunchbox's birth morning. Living in the shop for now, his retard mother is in the cull pen. Wild and too little milk to bother with. D2A777C3-B86E-4628-B7CC-97DDF1112A70.jpegDoctor Zipper on one of our own this time
38049FF9-CBDC-4DC6-B41A-52C9CCCDC3C9.jpeg
Proof of my half German side.
CC0FA360-5F67-4E21-84B3-AC13AC4AA1E3.jpeg
Calf pulling setup I devised and have been using for 30 years.
056FCEE2-EA39-4CF4-8DB4-74880F8FBF25.jpeg

I can't make out what the setup is Dave other than a cow in a pen with bits of the calf hanging out with chains on it. Can you elaborate a bit for us. I am always on the lookout for a better setup to pull calves. I won't do them in my crush if they go down the angles are all wrong and good chance of tearing the uterine artery.

Ken

I can't make out what the setup is Dave other than a cow in a pen with bits of the calf hanging out with chains on it. Can you elaborate a bit for us. I am always on the lookout for a better setup to pull calves. I won't do them in my crush if they go down the angles are all wrong and good chance of tearing the uterine artery.

Ken
Just a 25 foot rope with a loop tied in one end Ken. Chain goes through loop, tail around something solid and back through loop. Heifer is contained somewhat but can stand or lay down. Release can be immediate.

You're making good time Gcreek. Did you pull all your bulls or use the vet for your cut-off?
Heifers bulls get pulled. Most years bulls are last to come home from range. Vet cuts them off. Cow market last fall has us with some into early June. Most years we are 80 to 85% done in 30 days.

Ken
Thanks Dave, I can sort of make that out now, heifer does most of the work with moving and a bit of help from you?

Ken

Latest posts