Help Support CattleToday:

@gcreekrch Question: I have seen these sleds with the "foot hold"…does it actually work? Meaning does the foot stay put, keep calf down and in place? I like your baler belt…at least it looks like baler belt. We have developed many baler belt recycles here too.

@gcreekrch Question: I have seen these sleds with the "foot hold"…does it actually work? Meaning does the foot stay put, keep calf down and in place? I like your baler belt…at least it looks like baler belt. We have developed many baler belt recycles here too.
This sled is the best one we have ever used. We added the belting a year ago as the bottom was wearing out. It is about 8 years old hand has had countless calves in it. Some do escape but not many, usually the ones that were old enough to already be on their feet. We added about 20 feet of tow rope as quite a few of our cows would prefer not mixing with humans. Tow with a quad, horse or on foot. Pulls heavier with the belting than it did when it was new and plastic.

We have one of those sleds too and love it. We also put a longer rope. Can just about handle any cow and move the pair safely. Another thing so the foot doesn't work its way out the top if u have a lively one we just drilled a couple holes and put a tarp strap across the front that holds the foot in the bottom of the notch.

We have the same one as well. Yesterday I hauled a pair of twin calves in it that had been up and walking. Turns out you can get a leg from each calf in that slot at the same time.
I also find that the longer the rope the better.
I have the best luck hooking the leg above the hock. The bottom leg while on its side.

Latest posts