Your Opinions Wanted (Really)

Help Support CattleToday:

manaftergodsheart413":24nyi5lk said:
Boss Cowman":24nyi5lk said:
He looks to fat for me. I'd like to see him after he's been working for 60 days and see if he still looks as good. You can cover up alot of bad if you use a lot of corn.
This bull has not seen a grain of corn in his life he is completely fed native grass that isnt't even fertilized mostly weeds to be honest.I took this picture myself about to weeks ago when I went to visit my Uncle buster and he had just pulled the bull off 30 heifers.This bull is the thickest made polled bull I have ever seen he has a very moderate frame having something to do with with being easy keeping and is very very very masculine.Not to mention he is 100% foundation genetics.I own a couple of daughters sired by this bull and I'll see about getting some pictures if I can.
Manafter-

With the exception of his pasterns - (which Knersie focused on very correctly!), this is a bull which is exceptional! . . . .and, "Boss Cowman", you might concern yourself for what the poster of the thread is requesting! He asked for our opinions of the bull's "phenotype" from this picture. He didn't ask for what we thought the bull would look like 400 lbs. lighter than he is now, or if we thought that he would look like this after being in the breeding pasture for 60 days. Sometimes when we ASS-u-me too much, we "end up looking foolish" - as the "Geico" gecko says in the commercial.

Even before knowing his breeding activity this year, I felt that this bull was extremely capable of improving the phenotype of most herds. My suggestion is to watch his pasterns closely, perhaps forced walking as a daily activity during the "off" season, if you get my meaning. You might not have to go too far from where this bull lives to acquire some females which will improve your genetics, and establish your gene pool in the desirable brackets with which you wish to focus your breeding program. This bull is a great template to use as a pattern!

DOC HARRIS

manaftergodsheart413":1beetaug said:
This bull has not seen a grain of corn in his life he is completely fed native grass that isnt't even fertilized mostly weeds to be honest.I took this picture myself about to weeks ago when I went to visit my Uncle buster and he had just pulled the bull off 30 heifers.This bull is the thickest made polled bull I have ever seen he has a very moderate frame having something to do with with being easy keeping and is very very very masculine.Not to mention he is 100% foundation genetics.I own a couple of daughters sired by this bull and I'll see about getting some pictures if I can.[/quote]
---------------------------------------------

Well, here's the summary:
1. completely fed native grass
2. thick butt
3. easy keeping,
4. thick heart girth.....
5. moderate frame

so, IMO that is what you look for in a bull,and then you add the
DNA tenderness factors if you are, in fact, selling beef.
It wasn't mentioned, but I would assume that the offspring
birthweights would be reasonable and safe if the frame
is moderate....good looking bull!

OK Jeanne":2k7m2j8l said:
manaftergodsheart413":2k7m2j8l said:
This bull has not seen a grain of corn in his life he is completely fed native grass that isnt't even fertilized mostly weeds to be honest.I took this picture myself about to weeks ago when I went to visit my Uncle buster and he had just pulled the bull off 30 heifers.This bull is the thickest made polled bull I have ever seen he has a very moderate frame having something to do with with being easy keeping and is very very very masculine.Not to mention he is 100% foundation genetics.I own a couple of daughters sired by this bull and I'll see about getting some pictures if I can.
---------------------------------------------

Well, here's the summary:
1. completely fed native grass
2. thick butt
3. easy keeping,
4. thick heart girth.....
5. moderate frame

so, IMO that is what you look for in a bull,and then you add the
DNA tenderness factors if you are, in fact, selling beef.
It wasn't mentioned, but I would assume that the offspring
birthweights would be reasonable and safe if the frame
is moderate....good looking bull![/quote]

Code:
I think you use a bull that you need to get to where you want to be. Maybe he throws huge calves so you can't use him on heifers. Also if you want to keep heifers you need to look at his maternal EPDs. That is what makes selecting AI bulls fun. It takes us a few evenings but it is quality time, and fun. We use alot of different sires for different cows. Try to figure what nick works with a cow then stick with it.

Beefmasters throw tiny calves. That Brahman influence that gives them the dreaded "ear", blesses them with some of lowest birthweights. 100lb newborn is very uncommon, the average 70-80 lbs. BM heifers rarely reach puberty before 15 months.

Doc, the first sentance of the post was "what do you think of this bull" and I stated what I thought. After reading the facts later in the thread I can see that I was wrong and after looking at later pictures he is a fine looking bull, not overly fat and pretty atheletic. One of the best things about this board is the opportunity to view different breeds of cattle and learn what works in other parts of the country. ;-)

fourstates":341y6hig said:
Beefmasters throw tiny calves. That Brahman influence that gives them the dreaded "ear", blesses them with some of lowest birthweights. 100lb newborn is very uncommon, the average 70-80 lbs. BM heifers rarely reach puberty before 15 months.

I'm going to politely disagree. Tom Lasater, when founding the Beefmaster breed, stressed fertility as one of the six essentials. The requirement was (and is) that Beefmaster females calve by 2 years of age (conceiving around 15 months).

As a result of stressing fertility, the overwhelming majority of beefmasters (especially those using foundation genetics) will have heifers that cycle several months prior to 15 months of age. Of course, it really doesn't matter if one has a heifer calf that cycles at 3 months of age. It would be much risk and little reward to attempt to have that heifer calve out before nearing two years of age. Growth and development of a heifer is essential in the heifer calving without problems.

Latest posts