Young Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jzintgraff

Reaction score
We rented a young bull for our heifers. He has to go back tomorrow but I never saw him mount any of our heifers. What are my chances he bred them??
Janet :cboy:

nite rider... :tiphat:

Preg check is the only way, either that or wait and see if anyone comes back in???

No time. Should have already been bred. They will come into heat every 21-45 days give or take a few days. If they arent preggo you can always eat em.

baxter78-2":3t33q4wd said:
No time. Should have already been bred. They will come into heat every 21-45 days give or take a few days. If they arent preggo you can always eat em.

Why would he have no time. Calves sired right now will still be born around March 1st. They just might have not bred the first cycle with the bull. If you're telling him it could be 45 days then it's possible they didn't all even come into heat.

right from the post the bull is leaving tomorrow. SO NO TIME! if that is the case. May have to rent another bull. Wont know unless palpated.

The heifers out weigh the bull by 150 pounds or so...will that make a difference?

jzintgraff":1q2es5bd said:
The heifers out weigh the bull by 150 pounds or so...will that make a difference?

It shouldn't unless either of the two are not actually old enough or mature enough to breed. What are the approximate weights of the Bull and the heifers.

The bull is supposed to be 2 years and the heifers are also 2. But we have 30 ac of thick costal grass. And the bull I think was underfed. He looks like a 1 year old. The heifers are 750 - 800 lbs and the bull approx. 650 :roll:

jzintgraff":2qt4kr03 said:
The bull is supposed to be 2 years and the heifers are also 2. But we have 30 ac of thick costal grass. And the bull I think was underfed. He looks like a 1 year old. The heifers are 750 - 800 lbs and the bull approx. 650 :roll:

If you just bred your heifers to a 650lb 2 yr old bull You should be happy if they are NOT bred. Not being a snarta$$ but most beef producers are WEANING bull calves that are at least 650lbs at 205 days. What breed is this BULL supposed to be. Your heifers are the right size, the bull is a midget

jzintgraff":1sizfb52 said:

BINGO!!! There's your problem. First off, what are you doing using a garbage bull like that? He should have been a steer a long time ago. For future reference, if your going to lease a bull. Have a breeding soundness exam done on him. Especially on a runt that you say has no condition. If your not able to see the cattle come into heat. Buy some K-mars on put them on top of the heifers or cows hips. Once they have been mounted it turns red. Here's my suggestion take it or leave it. Contact a semen company and have a tech come out and AI your girls. You will know its been done, with a decent bull. Another thing to keep in mind. You are breeding two year old heifers. Most likely they have been cycling for over a year now. Some cows hormones will really ramp down because they have not been exposed to a bull. You may need more than one cycle for them to come into a strong enough heat. You have a few things working against you. Especially a poor sire choice. They say a bull represents half your herd. A guy I know who's smarter than me. Said its more like 75% as the years go by. Your choice today affects multiple generations.

jzintgraff":643766p8 said:

The bull is a runt at best and underfed. So are the heifers. A heifer that weighs at 2 less then a yearling should aren't good candidates for breeding. I might have missed something, are these Dexters?

baxter78-2":3721zoy5 said:
right from the post the bull is leaving tomorrow. SO NO TIME! if that is the case. May have to rent another bull. Wont know unless palpated.

Too soon to palpate anyway!

dun":apcf6h7f said:
jzintgraff":apcf6h7f said:

The bull is a runt at best and underfed. So are the heifers. A heifer that weighs at 2 less then a yearling should aren't good candidates for breeding. I might have missed something, are these Dexters?

Have you weighed them or are you just guessing?

I agree with Dun, the heifers don't sound much better than the bull if they have 30acres of grass and still weighs what they should have weighed a year ago.

Latest posts