Young Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

That is pretty decent heifers and they weigh much more than your guess. Although the bull is no herd improver, I wouldn't abort the heifers. Chalk it down as tuition fees and get the best possible hereford bull to breed them next year or AI them to the best possible hereford bull. Build a herd around your heifers and you can always in the future use an angus bull to breed very desirable baldies to sell as replacements.

Your heifers look fat and sassy easily over a thousand pounds.

I agree with Knersie let them calve and if you want terminal baldies a Gelbvieh bull would be an option also. I have a few herfs that are in my commercial herd that I breed to a Gelbvieh bull and they always have nice fat calves. This year I have bred them to a balancer bull (Gelbvieh x red Angus), I can't wait to see the calves next year.

jzintgraff":1ydnilfn said:
The bull is supposed to be 2 years and the heifers are also 2. But we have 30 ac of thick costal grass. And the bull I think was underfed. He looks like a 1 year old. The heifers are 750 - 800 lbs and the bull approx. 650 :roll:

What breed are they. They are all too lite for my liking. Sound like some mini's or lowline, maybe PCC's.

birdog":38qzfwt8 said:
jzintgraff":38qzfwt8 said:
The bull is supposed to be 2 years and the heifers are also 2. But we have 30 ac of thick costal grass. And the bull I think was underfed. He looks like a 1 year old. The heifers are 750 - 800 lbs and the bull approx. 650 :roll:

What breed are they. They are all too lite for my liking. Sound like some mini's or lowline, maybe PCC's.

Sorry about this post. I posted before I read further into it. Yes those heifers are well over 650 lbs. and look pretty good. Need a better bull.

things that make ya go HMMMMMM......hey, can you let us know how it all worked out with a follow up? hope all pans put well

Sure thing I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. I think for the time being we take a wait and see approach. After all if these heifers are bred with the tiny bull at least the calves will be small and easier to deliver! I think the next go around we'll either do AI or buy a bull calf and raise the bull ourselves to cut cost and hopefully he will be more tame. Because at this time we have more grass than cash.This is all new to us. I sure have learned allot from this forum and I REALLY APPRICATE ALL THE INFO! Thanks :cboy:

jzintgraff":32f4n8tw said:
We rented a young bull for our heifers. He has to go back tomorrow but I never saw him mount any of our heifers. What are my chances he bred them??
Janet :cboy:

How long was he with them? I would venture to say they are bred but you would have to wait 30 days from the time bred to palpate and be acurate. Watch them early morning and late evening to see if any are riding each other.

Hey it's me again. The LITTLE BULL is long gone. I haven't had the heifers vet checked yet. But today the neighbors bull came around and of course my girls were glad to see him. I noticed on each side or their tailhead was swelling up big time. Does that mean they are NOT BRED???? :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Latest posts