You have a million bucks and are 35 years old. What do you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett said:
cowrancher75 said:
1982vett said:
Living the dream?

:lol: More like dreaming the life.

If I've learned anything at all...use that kind of money to make your life easier. Get it to work for you rather than it working you just to try to keep it. :2cents:

that is putting the money to work. i've made a lot of money in ag, sorry you've failed. having all that, getting up everyday to all that beautiful land and cattle.. not having to go anywhere for a month at a time.. yea.. that is my dream.. maybe not most peoples.
hurleyjd said:
No cows or land. Just a place to live life and enjoy. 100k in ATT,100k in XOM, 100k in Ford, 100k GM, 100k CLNY, 100k in Version and 500 k vanguard cash account. This would generate $45,716 each year. Find a job that you enjoy and make this mail box money enjoyable. Value will go up and down just like the cow market. Will not have to be taken care daily as livestock does. Plenty of spare time to enjoy life. Just lock the front door and take a vacation. Also no dogs or cats to take care of. Do not wait until you are 78 and feel bad all day and hurt and have to hire most things done. But with right investments you will make it. Also if money is needed you can sell as much stock as needed and have the money in three days. Land you could sell but might take 6 months to sell. Just just this liberals irrational thoughts.

Dang Hurley....looks like you've failed too..... :D
It took me longer to fail than most folks. I do have cows and land. The answer was if you had a$1,000,000 was that I would not buy land and cattle at 35. It is taking me a long time to learn my lesson. But I did start saving at 35 but long ago. To be exact 43 years ago.

hurleyjd said:
shaz said:
hurleyjd said:
No cows or land. Just a place to live life and enjoy. 100k in ATT,100k in XOM, 100k in Ford, 100k GM, 100k CLNY, 100k in Version and 500 k vanguard cash account. This would generate $45,716 each year. Find a job that you enjoy and make this mail box money enjoyable. Value will go up and down just like the cow market. Will not have to be taken care daily as livestock does. Plenty of spare time to enjoy life. Just lock the front door and take a vacation. Also no dogs or cats to take care of. Do not wait until you are 78 and feel bad all day and hurt and have to hire most things done. But with right investments you will make it. Also if money is needed you can sell as much stock as needed and have the money in three days. Land you could sell but might take 6 months to sell. Just just this liberals irrational thoughts.

Is Version actually Verizon? Colony Capital has a nice fat yield, is it sustainable?
I misspelled Verizon. I have not lost any money on CLNY from initial purchase, but it has had a higher value in the last two years. ClNY took over Northstar REIT.(NRF). CLNY Pays me $11200 a year.

I just bought Annaly Capital Mortgage yesterday and hoping I don't get burned. In my early 30s I had a decent little extra income from REIT's but sold it all to buy cows, tractor, baler ect. Working a farm and a full time job, stock dividends are the only way I can make more per year. Don't want rental houses.

Son of Butch said:
Tennis ATP Challenger Series - Marbella, Spain round 2 Wednesday March 27 at 2 pm
Pablo Andujar age 33 (ranked 88) from Spain to beat Jurgen Melzer age 37 of Austria rank 290

10k on Andujar to win nets $4,780
Another financial victory.
Andujar won his match vs Melzer today 2-0 (6-4, 6-4)

$4780 added to previous balance 1,005,600 = 1,010,380

March 24 - 27
While ya'll have been jawing about what to do, what to do... :) ... my specific investment advice
in just 5 days has returned a 10,380 profit without ever putting more than 10,920 in play. (95.055%)
while leaving the man's other $989,000 sitting safe and sound in a vanguard money market fund.
Even the 10,920 has always remained in his care, custody and control, so no worry of theft.
All he's had to do is take action on the recommendations I've given him.

10,380 x 52 weeks = 539,760 year.

It's legal and the earnings are subject to quarterly income taxes just like any other profession.
As I stated before, I GUARANTEE I can do it again and again.
IF ya have a million to work with, It ain't hard and it ain't braggin' when it's true. :tiphat:

current balance 1,010,380

Badminton World Tour, India Badminton Open, New Delhi India
March 28, 2019 match 3:15

Viktor Axelsen age 25 of Denmark ranked #1 on pro tour and 6 in the world, 314 career wins
to beat
Suppanyu Avihingsana age 29 of Thailand ranked 27 on pro tour and 33 in the world, 200 career wins

10k on Axelsen to win nets $670

5S Cattle said:
For asking a bunch of people on a cattle forum what you should invest money in, and getting I believe, 0 replies to buy cows is pretty telling of the business we're in lol

Buy cows at the bottom of the price cycle, sell cow at the top of the price cycle, and then buy a big boat with part of the profit. :banana:

There.

There are cow men who made big money, but much of it was in land appreciation. So how and when should you cash out of what your million buck investment generated?

Stocker Steve said:
There are cow men who made big money, but much of it was in land appreciation. So how and when should you cash out of what your million buck investment generated?

i hope no one ever cashes out and i can start a generational cattle ranch.

Stocker Steve said:
5S Cattle said:
For asking a bunch of people on a cattle forum what you should invest money in, and getting I believe, 0 replies to buy cows is pretty telling of the business we're in lol

Buy cows at the bottom of the price cycle, sell cow at the top of the price cycle, and then buy a big boat with part of the profit. :banana:

There.

That's exactly what I did.

The bigger the boat, the bigger the hole in the water is that you throw money down into.
Get a canoe and invest the rest......

greybeard said:
The bigger the boat, the bigger the hole in the water is that you throw money down into.
Get a canoe and invest the rest......

Canoes are plenty of fun, but I disagree with the rest of your statement. My first boat was a 60 footer, and made money after playing with it for 4 years. Current boat is bigger, and brings lots of joy to our family and friends. It is also used quite a bit for business, so as long as we keep using it as such, it is a write off, AND it's worth quite a bit more than we have invested. Now the 14 footer I sunk last month....diffrent story. And we still have cows around to scratch that itch. lol

Caustic Burno said:
That could run out pretty quick.
Definitely not enough to retire on and live comfortably without supplemental income. The average household income is like 60k today and considerably higher in parts of the country.
If your building air castles might as well build big, it cost the same as a little one.

The "35 years old" again part is what I am missing.

Son of Butch said:

Viktor Axelsen age 25 of Denmark ranked #1 on pro tour and 6 in the world, 314 career wins
to beat
Suppanyu Avihingsana age 29 of Thailand ranked 27 on pro tour and 33 in the world, 200 career wins

Axelsen won his match 2-0 over Avihingsana (21-11 and 21-9)
670 + 1,010,380 = 1,011,050 current balance

MLB Boston Red Sox at Seattle Mariners tonight 7:08 pm
$1,000 on Boston to win nets $500

March 28th NCAA Tournament

1 seed Gonzaga is a huge favorite to cover 7.5 pts vs 4 seed Florida State
Florida State knocked Gonzaga out of the tournament last year. There hasn't been a buzzer beater
winner yet this year. IF Florida can keep it close maybe they'll have the first one?
Might as well round off the $11,050 profit.

$50 on Florida State to pull an upset and win the game nets 150

Son of Butch said:
Son of Butch said:

to beat

Axelsen won his match 2-0 over Avihingsana (21-11 and 21-9)
670 + 1,010,380 = 1,011,050 current balance

MLB Boston Red Sox at Seattle Mariners tonight 7:08 pm
$1,000 on Boston to win nets $500

March 28th NCAA Tournament

1 seed Gonzaga is a huge favorite to cover 7.5 pts vs 4 seed Florida State
Florida State knocked Gonzaga out of the tournament last year. There hasn't been a buzzer beater
winner yet this year. IF Florida can keep it close maybe they'll have the first one?
Might as well round off the $11,050 profit.

$50 on Florida State to pull an upset and win the game nets 150

Gonzaga covered. Lost $50. But you're still on a winning streak SOB.

Yes sir.
Gonzaga is now 265-1 when they lead by 10+ at halftime and Seattle is pounding the Red Sox in
their home opener. I was hoping they'd be drained traveling from Japan, but Oakland won too
so guess the trip to play Oakland in Japan didn't handicap either team.
Assuming a Red Sox loss... new balance $1,010,000

But... I did achieve the goal of rounding off the balance... lol... :)
The winning streak is over, so back to work to start a new one.

March 29
2,500 on Kentucky to beat Houston nets $1,590
MLB
2,500 on LA Dodgers to beat Az Diamondbacks also nets $1590

$19,000 to spend 60 days in bed..24/7.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/28/nasa-wants-pay-you-19-000-stay-bed-2-months/3298555002/

greybeard said:
$19,000 to spend 60 days in bed..24/7.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/28/nasa-wants-pay-you-19-000-stay-bed-2-months/3298555002/

They can keep the 19k. I would need psychiatric help if I were confined to a bed for 60 days without a physical ailment.

Latest posts