You have a million bucks and are 35 years old. What do you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron said:
Buy out as many undesirable neighbors as possible to keep the vermin at bay. I think I could easily get 2 of them with that amount. Maybe 3.
But Aaron you'd probably then have to buy out neighbors on the other side of them.

Ken

************* said:
Angel investing

I would spread it out among tech start ups in Silicon Valley and Miami.

Jason Calacanis turned $100k into $100 million thanks to his seed funding in startups like Uber.

Yup, you read that right, Google it.

Tech is where it's at.

Had you put $10k into Amazon upon its IPO in 1997 AND held to today, you would have over $5 million. Google that too!

Mate we could all make a squillion dollars with hindsight. For every one that makes it 1000 fail.

For me I'd buy land while trying to stay debt free. Then what i make is mine and not just handed to the next person.

************* said:
Angel investing

I would spread it out among tech start ups in Silicon Valley and Miami.

Jason Calacanis turned $100k into $100 million thanks to his seed funding in startups like Uber.

Yup, you read that right, Google it.

Tech is where it's at.

Had you put $10k into Amazon upon its IPO in 1997 AND held to today, you would have over $5 million. Google that too!
This sounds dumb to me. There are so many different tech companies that start up all the time and yes the ones you hear about make it BIG $$$ but what about the hundreds or maybe thousands that you never hear about??? With something like that usually by the time you have heard about it so has everyone else and you've lost your advantage

wbvs58 said:
Aaron said:
Buy out as many undesirable neighbors as possible to keep the vermin at bay. I think I could easily get 2 of them with that amount. Maybe 3.
But Aaron you'd probably then have to buy out neighbors on the other side of them.

Ken

Naw, I do actually get along with some people. Maybe even enough to count on TWO hands. :shock:

Aaron said:
wbvs58 said:
Aaron said:

Ken

Naw, I do actually get along with some people. Maybe even enough to count on TWO hands. :shock:
Missing some fingers are you? :lol:

Well I'm 34 and if I was given a million I would most likely pay off what little debt I have and start buying land that joins our farm with half of it and stick the other half back.

Probably not the best investment but land never seems to get cheaper. Then I would end up running more cows which I truly enjoy. The land would be an asset that could be sold during retirement if needed.

Bright Raven said:
cowrancher75 said:
Buy a ranch and cows.. ? :cboy:

buy a beach house and get tan?

or....................?
What would you do?

A million bucks is not a lot now days. Probably purchase a home and start an IRA.

That could run out pretty quick.
Definitely not enough to retire on and live comfortably without supplemental income. The average household income is like 60k today and considerably higher in parts of the country.
If your building air castles might as well build big, it cost the same as a little one.

I'm going to buy a ranch,run 200 brood cows (paid) have a bunch of nice equipment (paid) and put 1/2 a mil as a downpayment. Should make a little better return then savings bonds.

I sure wouldn't invest a dime with a paper pusher. Most are crooked and need an azz whipping. Sorry doesn't cut it when your talking my money. I'd buy something I can touch, probably some commercial rentals. From what I've seen, is if you were given a million you'd lose it.

I would spend half on wine women and song, and just waste the other half. Just like I did back when I was 35. But I had a lot more fun than those who invested towards tomorrow, so it would be just as much fun to do it all over again.

True Grit Farms said:
I sure wouldn't invest a dime with a paper pusher. Most are crooked and need an azz whipping. Sorry doesn't cut it when your talking my money. I'd buy something I can touch, probably some commercial rentals. From what I've seen, is if you were given a million you'd lose it.

The last rental we bought was $295k. Gross rents $7,350/month. 17 units total, and averaging one vacancy. Not much of an appreciable asset in its location, but pretty steady paycheck.

Farm Fence Solutions said:
True Grit Farms said:

The last rental we bought was $295k. Gross rents $7,350/month. 17 units total, and averaging one vacancy. Not much of an appreciable asset in its location, but pretty steady paycheck.

nice return

Caustic Burno said:
jltrent said:
I might move to California..........

We have conformation you need psychological help.

Beverly-Hillbillies-793x526.jpg

Aaron said:
if I did that, it would about encompass the whole county.might be cheaper to just get shed of me...

Son of Butch said:
10k on Gonzaga to beat Baylor tomorrow nets $720 a 7.2% return in less than 24 hours.
10k is only 1% of 1 million.
$720 five times a week = $187,200 yr.

Want a better return?
10k on Michigan State to beat Mn Gophers tonight nets $1,450 a 14.5% return.

If you have the deep pockets, 10k investments for quick returns is easy money. :)

Latest posts