Yellowstone tv series

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2q0gxjr1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2q0gxjr1 said:
ga.prime":2q0gxjr1 said:
Lol, because you never hear that kind of talk in real life.

Hear it? Yes. Invite it into my home? Never.
That's something we can agree on...

I can handle the language better than the wife. We both laughed out loud when the pulled calf ran off and we ended up turning it off half an hour early.

Brute 23":2npuae9c said:
I have to figure out how I can get that channel. All the previews looked good. Its always funny to see how realistic those shows are.
Well they pulled a calf last night (I think it was a breech birth) and the minute his head was out he jumped up and ran off 20 mph....how realistic was that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had normally real docile momma jump up and run off at light speed 2 minutes after dropping one. Crazy cow....it was nuts to see. Ran over and into all kinds of crap..not sure she wasn't temporarily blind. She took the ride to town.

I meant about the "200 lb calf" running off more than the momma. I've had a few cows get right up and take off until they had a chance to get their mind straightened out; but never a calf jump up and have full functional use of their legs 3 seconds after hitting the ground... LOL.
Yes the language was a bit over the top, not that it isn't heard regularly in real life, but a bit much. Story line seems to be pretty decent.
As for not having all that on just a cow/cf operation.... years ago that is how so many of the ranches did make a good living. Labor was cheap, and they got BLM grazing leases, which were cheap. Not so much today though. Guess they will just import all the beef once they price us out of existence. Horses were cheap but had to be maintained year round where as the 4 wheelers can just be parked. Many places have gone to planes and helicopters, and all that is a part of "doing business". But there was a time that big ranches were profitable, and the owners lived big too. Lots of history on things like that. A person could work hard and with a little luck, could get ahead. Today, not so much without something else to get you there financially, first.

farmerjan":1m0odqya said:
I meant about the "200 lb calf" running off more than the momma. I've had a few cows get right up and take off until they had a chance to get their mind straightened out; but never a calf jump up and have full functional use of their legs 3 seconds after hitting the ground... LOL.
Yes the language was a bit over the top, not that it isn't heard regularly in real life, but a bit much. Story line seems to be pretty decent.
As for not having all that on just a cow/cf operation.... years ago that is how so many of the ranches did make a good living. Labor was cheap, and they got BLM grazing leases, which were cheap. Not so much today though. Guess they will just import all the beef once they price us out of existence. Horses were cheap but had to be maintained year round where as the 4 wheelers can just be parked. Many places have gone to planes and helicopters, and all that is a part of "doing business". But there was a time that big ranches were profitable, and the owners lived big too. Lots of history on things like that. A person could work hard and with a little luck, could get ahead. Today, not so much without something else to get you there financially, first.
A helicopter not likely in my future, unless the good Lord blesses me with one..like Jessie do-plenty...but I been tinkering with the idea of a Drone to check on my cattle at times...

farmerjan":3s3wb647 said:
Yes the language was a bit over the top, not that it isn't heard regularly in real life, but a bit much.

Not in the crowd I hang out with.

But there was a time that big ranches were profitable, and the owners lived big too. Lots of history on things like that. A person could work hard and with a little luck, could get ahead. Today, not so much without something else to get you there financially, first.

They are still profitable to those who are good business men and women. I could name off a number of people who started with nothing leased land, worked hard and built a ranch. The guy I leased my ranch to is in his early 40's. He started with nothing but a work ethic and cow sense. Today he is running about 500-600 head.

Brute 23":nocpdn1d said:
I saw several rigs in the background during multiple scenes. I hear that's pretty lucrative.

I'd say you're right. I've limited knowledge but I think that's kinda hit and miss. If it were my ranch.... I'd miss. I've heard some stories about ranches with good wells that involved some real big numbers. Also heard some stories about windmills that didn't sound to bad. Guess it comes down to right place, right time, taking a chance, and a little luck.

Dave":15fditwc said:
They are still profitable to those who are good business men and women. I could name off a number of people who started with nothing leased land, worked hard and built a ranch. The guy I leased my ranch to is in his early 40's. He started with nothing but a work ethic and cow sense. Today he is running about 500-600 head.

I have no doubt. You can start from nothing. I did. But I still don't have much. But I've got enough. And I've got more than I deserve. I was kinda going a step above to the kind of operation portrayed in the show. Like South Fork. Helicopters, a ranch the size of Rhode Island, super fancy ranch houses, barns, state of the art stables, fleets of atvs, and all the trimmings. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think it's awesome. But IF you were to try to build that today I don't believe you could ever reach that level without money coming from an outside source.

JMJ Farms":1p7cyhmu said:
Dave":1p7cyhmu said:

I have no doubt. You can start from nothing. I did. But I still don't have much. But I've got enough. And I've got more than I deserve. I was kinda going a step above to the kind of operation portrayed in the show. Like South Fork. Helicopters, a ranch the size of Rhode Island, super fancy ranch houses, barns, state of the art stables, fleets of atvs, and all the trimmings. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think it's awesome. But IF you were to try to build that today I don't believe you could ever reach that level without money coming from an outside source.

The word cartel comes to mind ;-)

From what I see very few people get started in the cattle biz and make it big without any outside help. Most young people that get in have family land or Dad has cows and can help with equipment until young people get on thier feet. I would say it would be nearly impossible to get a spread like the ones portrayed on TV if you started from nothing. I'm not saying you couldn't gather up a couple thousand acres, enough cows to stock it, nice equipment, and a nice house but it would take several decades and more hard work than most people are willing to do now days. The stuff portrayed on TV is just that TV.

I know and know of several people with ranches who have planes. It seems to be split 50/50. Half have outside money and fly in to enjoy their ranch. Their money came from construction, medicine, and the entertainment world. They enjoy the life style but not the day to day. The others live so far out in the middle of nowhere that a small plane just allows them to get around. Most on here don't live the kind of remote that exists in some western ranch areas. The ranch my wife had on the Nevada/Oregon border was a two hour drive one way to the nearest grocery store or doctor. It was 25 miles each way to take the grand kids to meet the school bus. So 50 miles in the morning and 50 miles again to pick them up in the afternoon. People living that far from anything often get a small plane.
I don't know of anyone who owns a helicopter. That is a specialized piece of equipment that takes a specialized pilot to fly it. But I do know of people who charter one to do a specific job for them. I take that back I know a Christmas tree farmer who has a helicopter. His son (who played T ball for me) is the pilot. They use it to spray the trees and to fly the trees out of the fields at harvest time.

TennesseeTuxedo":52sik600 said:
ga.prime":52sik600 said:
Lol, because you never hear that kind of talk in real life.

Hear it? Yes. Invite it into my home? Never.

To each his own.

I agree. I hear it mostly in movies, but It's not used in my circle of friends.

Dave":a0ns3iq4 said:
I know and know of several people with ranches who have planes. It seems to be split 50/50. Half have outside money and fly in to enjoy their ranch. Their money came from construction, medicine, and the entertainment world. They enjoy the life style but not the day to day. The others live so far out in the middle of nowhere that a small plane just allows them to get around. Most on here don't live the kind of remote that exists in some western ranch areas. The ranch my wife had on the Nevada/Oregon border was a two hour drive one way to the nearest grocery store or doctor. It was 25 miles each way to take the grand kids to meet the school bus. So 50 miles in the morning and 50 miles again to pick them up in the afternoon. People living that far from anything often get a small plane.
I don't know of anyone who owns a helicopter. That is a specialized piece of equipment that takes a specialized pilot to fly it. But I do know of people who charter one to do a specific job for them. I take that back I know a Christmas tree farmer who has a helicopter. His son (who played T ball for me) is the pilot. They use it to spray the trees and to fly the trees out of the fields at harvest time.

Planes are cheap. Those big helicopters are not.

Brute 23":2n6exyic said:
Dave":2n6exyic said:

Planes are cheap. Those big helicopters are not.
Many are leased, but a big cost either way is in the FAA required engine & airframe maintenance and inspections.
Need an engine? A turboshaft engine for a civilian UH1e can run 6 figures. So can a Lycoming piston engine.
Ouchita can tell you all about that...he's in that business I believe.

You can do all those things if you're this guy:
WTMMFP46TFBNLFZZGOZBQZO5A4.jpg

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/rams-o ... os-angeles

Or you're this guy:
vandersloot-615cs022412.jpg

http://www.riverbendranch.us/

A couple of years ago we had the opportunity to have our land searched for natural gas. We passed. Maybe if I had a few thousand acres and didn't care about a certain corner of I'd be OK with it, but probably not. Money only goes so far.

Latest posts