Yearling Bull Size (Angus)

Help Support CattleToday:

And he lost the one he's wearing there too. I got them broke over and they will never grow into his hrad.

It's been a learning experience.
We used them 50 years ago and I think we got them up and tightened the screws after a while. But of course back then we wanted them to look perfect as they got older. Looks meant a lot back then.

Kenny
This bull raising has been an experience I was probably 7 or 8 at most the last time Dad messed with raising a couple of bulls. I have to haul him to another place to get him in the chute to check the weights so it didn't get done as much as it should have. He lost the last one when I put his sire in with him. He pushed and shoved on the old bull so much he was stiff and sore for a week.

I went and looked at several bulls today including the one I posted a picture of. I have come to the conclusion that I don't have the experience to look at a 11-12 month old bull and make any kind of conclusion……I saw three bulls that I would say stood out to me but they were closer to 2 years old so I'm sure a lot changes in a year…

I went and looked at several bulls today including the one I posted a picture of. I have come to the conclusion that I don't have the experience to look at a 11-12 month old bull and make any kind of conclusion……I saw three bulls that I would say stood out to me but they were closer to 2 years old so I'm sure a lot changes in a year…
Do you know what you want your steers to look like? Do you have cows that look consistent? If your cows are all over the place then your bull has a lot of work to do. If you have cows with a consistent look then you can choose a bull based on their faults.

I like long, meaty bulls with just enough leg to get from here to there in groomed pastures. I want a bull that looks like the steers I will be getting. I also like to see the bull's mother if possible. I look at her for what I like in replacement heifers. That includes docility.

Stats are important, but I've seen lightly muscled, big belly bulls that gained weight fast and weighed a lot and threw the same kind of calves that were docked at the sale barn.

Slower developed (forage based) bulls will go through an "ugly duckling stage" at about 1 YO. If you want to buy one at that age you'll need to judge on the sire, dam and half sibs that are older. Some 18 months to 2 YOs and they will look totally different. It's all a matter of purpose and final costs.

Travlr, please study up on your idea of bulls that look like the steers you want to produce. That is an horrendous error in judgment. I recommend the study of Jan Bonsma to help you.

Travlr, please study up on your idea of bulls that look like the steers you want to produce. That is an horrendous error in judgment. I recommend the study of Jan Bonsma to help you.

Well I didn't write a book to explain it, thinking anyone with some amount of intelligence could extrapolate to understand what was being said. After fifty years selling at the top end of any market I can offer an opinion but I can't understand it for you. But thanks for your concern...

If I remember correctly, and I know it isn't angus sorry, but my hereford was 1250 at 18 months when I got him..
He wasn't pushed hard on feed. Guy was feeding 3 bulls a 5 gallon bucket a day.
There are so many variables. I want a yearling bull too weigh over 1,000 lbs especially if a spring calf. Fall calves will be a little lighter on same genetics usually. I like to develop my own bulls so I can develop them as I desire. The last Hereford I developed weighed 1160 at a year old. My Herefords will tend too weigh more than our Angus on average at the same age. It is about selecting performance bloodlines. I don't like for a bull to be over fat. I recently bought one that was and letting him down now. Felt he was good enough to take a chance on.

Angus should grow/ mature quicker than other breeds and shut off at around 15-18 months.. besides beef quality that was why angus got so popular especially as a cross with continental breeds; who are typically larger when fully mature but develope slower... now this was old school angus genetics.. these new angus seem to continue growing and developing until they're 36-48 months old, and often finish with bigger frames than most continental. I have a 2 yr old angus bull that is at least a hand taller than my 3 yr old simmental bulls.. 😮

Latest posts