Yearling Bull Size (Angus)

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
I am starting to look for a bull and was wondering what you would expect a yearling angus bull to weigh in general? Not something that has a feed truck pulled up beside it. I was looking through one breeders selection that is near here and besides looking like most of them should of been cut, it seemed that they were pretty small.

I would agree around 1200lb. I have seen some good bulls that weren't pampered after weaning weight over 1000lbs as a yearling

Grass and milk mine wean at the beginning of autumn at an average of 350kg (770lb). They are on stockpiled grass over winter and fed a supplementary grain mix to have them at or above 600kg (1320lb) in spring at about 13 months of age or older and sold to start a bit of work. They do not melt.

Ken

Can't sell em lean ..I like to see their potential,not overly fat..want to see muscle that's not hidden in fat.., Wide between the legs a thick

Someone need to post some pics of these yearling bulls. I may be in the market, and need to know what to look for.
A while down the road still, but I'm still interested.

My 3 year old black crossbred was only 1200 when I sold him in his "working clothes"
That's the only clothes he knew...

The people I bought bulls from for years would show the records. February calves would wean in October in the upper 700's on milk and grass. They literally lived on the shores of the North Pacific with cold rain hitting them in the face everyday. They were fed all the grass hay they would clean up and 4 pounds of grain from weaning to February. They weighed 1,050-1,100. As 3 year olds they would weigh 1,800 on nothing but grass or grass hay.

Someone need to post some pics of these yearling bulls. I may be in the market, and need to know what to look for.
A while down the road still, but I'm still interested.

My 3 year old black crossbred was only 1200 when I sold him in his "working clothes"
That's the only clothes he knew...
Some Brangus from a Breeder on Sandmountain image.jpeg

They sure look smooth!
How much feed does it take to make em look like that? Or is that working clothes?
Man, if they look like that on grass!!
Gotta have the genetics ..you can fatten about any dink with enough feed, and make them look presentable..these get fed for sure, I go by this place at different times ,always rubber neckin .they have fantastic cattle..they have customers from all over..

The reason I wanted to get your thoughts is I actually bought my last bull from the breeder I mentioned. Bull was a Tex Playbook son. I thought they were all small compared to my previous hereford bull that was 1250. I chalked it up as my previous bull being a few months older.

But I was just looking through the new bulls and thought they looked small. I remembered when i sold the last one from them that he was 875 pounds but I couldn't remember how old he was exactly So I checked. He was 19 months old and didn't have a rough life.

I definitely don't want a slob of a bull that has been fed a bunch of grain but I just was thinking surely a yearling ought to be 1000 or so? When I was looking at my slip to double check the weight i noticed I had also sold a steer that was 615 and was barely 7 months old just from mom and grass.

Everyone says they want a bull in his working clothes but then won't buy them due to size.
Then can't figure out why those that sell bulls sell them soggy .
I agree 100%
Just go to a bull sell with several consigners and you will see it. Those fat overly fed bulls bring the cash.

If I remember correctly, and I know it isn't angus sorry, but my hereford was 1250 at 18 months when I got him..
He wasn't pushed hard on feed. Guy was feeding 3 bulls a 5 gallon bucket a day.

I just checked in tonight with a fellow I sold 2 yearling bulls last October (our spring), they have been out with his cows all summer and he is extremely happy with them, they have maintained their condition and continue to grow, they did not melt. They were 14mths of age and weighed 622 kg (1368 lb) and 686 kg (1509 lb).

Ken

If I remember correctly, and I know it isn't angus sorry, but my hereford was 1250 at 18 months when I got him..
He wasn't pushed hard on feed. Guy was feeding 3 bulls a 5 gallon bucket a day.
Herefords just take time. My best friend raises pb Angus, pb Hereford, and SimAngus bulls. We semen tested 17 last Monday. All within 2 mos of age. All fed in the same pen. The Herefords were 250-350 lbs lighter.

Latest posts