Yearling Bull Size (Angus)

Help Support CattleToday:

If you're selling breeding bulls from grass only, plan on selling them as 2 year olds. People think they want grass only but they just want something pretty to take home in the end and there are too many fed bull catalogs that make commercial producers think that's what a yearling bull should look like.

365 days x 3 lbs = 1095 lbs + 80 lb birth weight = 1,175 lbs
365 x 2.5 = 913 + 77 bw = 990
365 x 2.75 = 1004 + 76 bw = 1,080
365 x 3.25 = 1186 + 74 bw = 1,260
What are you feeding to get 3lb gain/day (plus maintenance) in dormant months?

We just sold a 2 year old bull who worked all last summer. No grain but did have access to the lick tubs and occasional alfalfa. His pre-breeding yearling weight was right around 1000 lbs. His 2 year old weight was ~1450 and he hasn't filled out completely yet.

Happy buyer too! Tested 86% on the farm during his fertility test with 40.5" scrotal.

Had another buyer put a deposit down on his 1/2 brother out of a different sire. His yearling weight was 810 lbs. It was a really dry year last year and we weaned early to keep the cows condition. She is going to pick him up mid May and have him cover heifers first.

This bull was 16 months old. He was 875 when I sold him at 19 months. I bought him in October and he bred 12-13 cows and didn't get any grain from me. Just hay and stockpile fescue. I did not weigh him when he was here so i dont know what changes there might of been but it seemed like he just maintained his weight, no drastic changes. (Btw, you won't hurt my feelings on this bull. I sold him and everything he bred).

A89E12D8-F4B6-493C-9E45-818E1A3A728A.jpeg

If at 7months (215 days) a calf weighs 700 lbs.
Minus the birth weight - 70 lbs.
Total gain 630 lbs.

Total gain per day 2.9 lbs.

It's quite obvious the cow does a better job at a lower cost :)

What are you feeding to get 3lb gain/day (plus maintenance) in dormant months?
Good question. I was only giving examples of what it takes to reach weight at 1 year.
Another factor to remember is people will say yearling for both 11 and 13 months old and you will need to adjust to actual days yourself.

Herefords just take time. My best friend raises pb Angus, pb Hereford, and SimAngus bulls. We semen tested 17 last Monday. All within 2 mos of age. All fed in the same pen. The Herefords were 250-350 lbs lighter.

That's just individual genetics... not indicative of a breed average. Better genetics would make the Herefords weigh as much as the others.

That's just individual genetics... not indicative of a breed average. Better genetics would make the Herefords weigh as much as the others.
I'm not knocking them. It's just the way they are. Slow burning tell they get older. His donor cow came from Churchills. These are highly maternal genetics.

I'm not knocking them. It's just the way they are. Slow burning tell they get older. His donor cow came from Churchills. These are highly maternal genetics.
That's what I'm saying... it's NOT "the way they are."

Not any more than any other breed. Crappy genetics for fast gains in angus or char or anything else will skew the outcome.

My take on yearling bulls is that they can handle a bit of feed. In my situation they are weaned in early autumn and while there is plenty of grass stockpiled over winter it is very low quality so feed is essential to get them looking like a usefull bull in spring. I have been using yearlings myself for over 10 years, I have been renting one of my yearlings to my neighbour for about 8 years and I usually let him have him on the 1st of Sept. which in my opinion is too early as the grasses are slow coming on and it is tough on them but the bull always seems to deal with it, becomes very fit looking but holds his condition surprisingly well. I let my neighbour have one I may use myself the following year and have the genomics and parent verification done on him so that if he jumps the fence and comes in with my cows as he did last year I know the sire of the resulting calf. I have also sold quite a few yearling bulls and some have had a workload greater than I would have liked but they seem to deal with it.

I think feed to develop them and then putting them to work while they are still growing helps with their development and soundness. Bulls kept and fed and then sold as 2 yr olds as virgin bulls on the other hand I think is detrimental to their development especially if they are pushed to get to those high weights to become the heaviest in the sale.

Ken

The harder you push them in the first 18 months, the less years that they will be the size and have to agility to be good breeders. But likely few worry about longevity in bulls. The new ones are always "better"!
Just from experience, I would say most people only keep a bull around 2 years, and they get slaughtered by 4y/o. With so many black bulls on the market I can see why people just keep rotating. Although the more years you use a bull the cheaper they get.
My red simmy bull died last fall at the age of 8, doubt if I find a replacement that will stay around that long, unless I raise him myself.
Like good looking paint on a tractor, fat on a bull sells better.

20210410_120838.jpg

Right at a year old, nothing but hay and a couple pounds of cubes a day after weaning and through the winter.

20211128_115803.jpg

About 20 months old and been running with a handful of cows all summer running on dry bermuda at the time the picture was took.

Latest posts