Worst angus bull of the past two decades

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe that infocus is a son of the focus bull THG. I thought your family raised Herefords?

Northern Improvement is a bull that I have been pretty unimpressed with.

1407 has to be the most overated bull in history and son after son is still being marketed. :shock:

Lucy boy, bad dispositions.

KMacGinley":1diglx1w said:
I believe that infocus is a son of the focus bull THG. I thought your family raised Herefords?

1407 has to be the most overated bull in history and son after son is still being marketed. :shock:

No, had some Angus as well.

THG

JbarL":31bdzq5o said:
does anyone have any pics or sites of the rockin d ambush or
lucys boy bulls??? thanks jbarl
Probably couldn't get a picture of a Lucy Boy, heck they were probably always tearing things up of hurting the camera guy when he was trying to take a picture. I know that Rito Plus is out of Rockn D Ambush, but I don't have any idea of where to find a picture of him?

THG

KMacGinley":2263ymst said:

Hey, I didn't like Northern Improvement either. Also, another one would be PAPA Universe, man I really didn't like him either.

THG

Who likes the Stevenson Moneymaker R185 bull? I think that he is one impressive animal. Sold sire thick progeny the way he is built, like a brick s**t house. ;-)

THG

Outrigger2":31djvl3m said:
opinions will vary. very good question. 7D7 i think they found a dwarf gene in that one. not sure on the exact # of the bull. correct me if i am wrong.

7D7 was found to possess the dwarf gene which was unfortunate because he did leave some very good progeny.

I would have to give my nod for the worst Angus bulls to Precision and 1407. If the cattle don't have muscle and/or if they don't have adequate scrotal development, the rest doesn't really matter.

Angus In Texas":22finrji said:
How about G A R Integrity.... I'm sure his progeny will be descent in the long run but for as much hype as he received and his outrageous selling price he sure took a huge dive rapidly. Just no growth.

I have several daughters from him and they are real preaty. My biggest fault for him is they are all high headed. But they all IMF 7% and higher. One was 9.3%.

My two voes for flop are AMbush, Rito Plus, and never liked Easy Fortune.

jscunn":3b7kdx2l said:
THG,
If you dont know who "Focus" is then you need to brush on Angus pedigrees from before 2005.
I know the Focus bloodlines jscunn. Now, have you used the Mytty In Focus and in my opinions and seeing the G A R Integrity females is that they are milking good. They aren't the biggest females in the world, but in my opinion they will make great females. Now, bulls on the other hand sired by Integrity will have there down falls if you have bigger framed females.

THG

My vote for most overrated has to be EXT he fixed udders to some extent but that was pretty much it-there are so many candidates for 'BAD' it's hard to pick just one lol. In general there were more horror stories in the 80's than in the 90's to be sure. Fortunately there are still more good Angus than bad but that can change too-nothing worse for a breed than dull knives and unsurpassed popularity.

Our top vote would have to go to Fame - poor performance, nutty dispositions, and females that didn't milk well. We also did not get along well with Roth's Millcreek Unique or 8180. Unique didn't have the growth and 8180's didn't milk like we thought they should either (but they looked good and had good REAs).

I know I'll get a lot of disagreement on this one, but 878 did not do well for us either - above average carcass (good REA, but higher fat) and all but one calf (who we made a steer because he lacked performance) had temperament problems. Have one 878 female left only because she continues to at least raise (below average, but alive) calf (and doesn't try and kill you when you work it at birth - because she runs away) - has such a flighty disposition we have nicknamed her "Tennessee" (as soon as she sees you, she'll raise her head and trot off like a TN walker horse) or Rocket - She is also a head gate jumper and extremly nervous in the chute. As soon as she's open, she'll be gone. I know he must have worked well for someone, due to the high volume, but he did not work in our herd...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sleep Easy...another quite popular bull that lacked in some areas.

Sleep Easy lacked in more areas than he excelled in.

Marbling and milk, those traits aren't hard to come by!

Worst angus bull? Those in the adjoining pastures. (hobby farmer jumped in the cattle business) I DON'T want them breeding my cows. They are hard to keep out. One was penned for three days before they came and got it.

Double A":1cgeypyc said:
Our top vote would have to go to Fame - poor performance, nutty dispositions, and females that didn't milk well. We also did not get along well with Roth's Millcreek Unique or 8180. Unique didn't have the growth and 8180's didn't milk like we thought they should either (but they looked good and had good REAs).

I know I'll get a lot of disagreement on this one, but 878 did not do well for us either - above average carcass (good REA, but higher fat) and all but one calf (who we made a steer because he lacked performance) had temperament problems. Have one 878 female left only because she continues to at least raise (below average, but alive) calf (and doesn't try and kill you when you work it at birth - because she runs away) - has such a flighty disposition we have nicknamed her "Tennessee" (as soon as she sees you, she'll raise her head and trot off like a TN walker horse) or Rocket - She is also a head gate jumper and extremly nervous in the chute. As soon as she's open, she'll be gone. I know he must have worked well for someone, due to the high volume, but he did not work in our herd...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sleep Easy...another quite popular bull that lacked in some areas.
That is odd, because the 8180s I have seen out west at Sitz really milked well. Also, I have semen on him and may still use him, but looking at using his very popular son, 004.

THG

That is odd, because the 8180s I have seen out west at Sitz really milked well. Also, I have semen on him and may still use him, but looking at using his very popular son, 004.

For the numbers, we thought they would milk heavier. We saw inconsistancy in milking out of our 8180 son's daughters (he was EXT on bottom - so should have done well in the milk department) - some did great, others average and a couple X-light ones...go figure? I will add that the progeny looked nice and thick - wasn't including him as a "worst bull" at all, just a little surprised by what we saw in the milk department. We still have most of these granddaughters - so that will tell you they're not that bad.

Latest posts