Worst angus bull of the past two decades

Help Support CattleToday:

opinions will vary. very good question. 7D7 i think they found a dwarf gene in that one. not sure on the exact # of the bull. correct me if i am wrong.

Let me preface this by saying any AI bull that saw major use (greater than 1000 daughters on record) did "something" right for someone. However I would let a straw of Precision 1680 on the place, no guts, no nuts, no growth, and bad udders. That said like every bull when mated properly he did produce something useful down the line.

There is a bull that I am planning on using this fall that is a Precision grandson (on the bottom side) but I have seen the bull's dam and she is not a typical 1680 daughter. Seen enough calves out of the bull I am using to know he doesnt throw that crap either.

I guess in my lifetime, I will have to stick with SAF Fame and VDAR Lucy Boy. Fame sires no meat, no milking daughters, and bad feet. Lucy Boy, pretty much all of those progeny had bad dispositions and were always ready for a fight. They were a little hot and high strung.

THG

Tell you what THG, I will take all the Fame and Lucy Boy's and you take all the 1680's. Like I said different strokes for different folks. Exactly how many Fame/Lucy Boy daughters have you seen??

How about G A R Integrity.... I'm sure his progeny will be descent in the long run but for as much hype as he received and his outrageous selling price he sure took a huge dive rapidly. Just no growth.

Angus In Texas":2gzfawoo said:
How about G A R Integrity.... I'm sure his progeny will be descent in the long run but for as much hype as he received and his outrageous selling price he sure took a huge dive rapidly. Just no growth.

I am not Integrity fan, but there is no way in the world that you can say he's a flop. Just because his EPD's dived, in fact that would almost be reason enough to own the bull.

Flops, Stockman 365, Fame, Focus, Rockn D Ambush when I have a little more time and will continue my list.

SEC":jj6hucxt said:
Angus In Texas":jj6hucxt said:

I am not Integrity fan, but there is no way in the world that you can say he's a flop. Just because his EPD's dived, in fact that would almost be reason enough to own the bull.

Flops, Stockman 365, Fame, Focus, Rockn D Ambush when I have a little more time and will continue my list.
I'll take your 365s

I'm not just talking about EPD's but from having seen his progeny they just don't grow..... and I know he is definitely not the worst bull of the decade just brought him up for discussion

jscunn":1r2kvp05 said:
Tell you what THG, I will take all the Fame and Lucy Boy's and you take all the 1680's. Like I said different strokes for different folks. Exactly how many Fame/Lucy Boy daughters have you seen??
JSCUNN, I had some Lucy Boy Daughters in the beginning when I was growing up as a kid. A bull that my grandfather owned when I was a kid was a Lucy Boy son, and it put my grandfather on the ground on day and that was the end of it, because the next day that bull was off to the stock sale. Lucy Boy daughters aren't bad on udder quality or thickness, but when they get a little fire under them, which happened a lot, they were the first ones to watch for or look out for when you went into a and they were nursing. I really got along well with 1680, never had any problems out of him. I know that we used him heavily at one time and kept pretty much all the daughters. We also used 036 a lot and Rito 6I6, and got along well. Fame on the other hand, well I look at him as just not fitting my program. I think I saw a few Fame females from the LaGrand sale and the females didn't have much milk and not very good udders. Also, I have seen a few bulls in Denver with bad feet and not meat sired by Fame.

As far as Integrity, well, I think his first daughters that have come into production are fairly nice. Of course, they aren't the biggest cattle in the world, but he is a pretty descent bull. He sold for a pile of money no doubt, I think $255,000? Rockn D Ambush, we had some daughters that milked and some that didn't. I would have to say that he wasn't a bad bull. Had some great progeny out of him at one time. The bulls sired by Ambush were pretty stout. Rito Plus a son of Rockn D Ambush out of 2536, he has sired some really nice daughters that are in production I saw in West Virginia. Other than that, I believe that I will be sticking with more Schaff Angus Valley genetics and Wehrmanns bloodlines.

Rito Plus is a very nice bull, I haven't seen any progeny in person. But 2536 tends to dominate the genetics no matter what bull you breed her to. She is an amazing cow.... I think however some people feel that just because she is the dam of said progeny they are going to be great herd sires or breed changers. But I wouldn't mind having a few daughters roaming my pastures ;-) ... I am currently trying to broker a deal to aquire some embryos out of one of her daughters at Riverbend in Idaho.

Saw some bulls out of Rito plus that were pretty darn good. The bull himself wasn't the most sound I was told(did not see it but trust the guy)

Since SEC is giving away cows I'll take all his Focus daughters :lol:

Angus In Texas":1ao2v5rp said:
Rito Plus is a very nice bull, I haven't seen any progeny in person. But 2536 tends to dominate the genetics no matter what bull you breed her to. She is an amazing cow.... I think however some people feel that just because she is the dam of said progeny they are going to be great herd sires or breed changers. But I wouldn't mind having a few daughters roaming my pastures ;-) ... I am currently trying to broker a deal to aquire some embryos out of one of her daughters at Riverbend in Idaho.
Sounds like a great deal. You could also save your money and take a stab at buying one of the I think three daughters that will be selling in the Fall sale at Wehrmanns this October 2007. I think a Bushwacer, and 878, and a Predestined all out of 2536. The Bushwacker daughter and the 878 daughter are in production and guess what, they are awesome females. The Predestined will also probably be a big time cow one day as well. Of course, all three of them will bring big money.

THG

jscunn":3qcz7oh7 said:
Saw some bulls out of Rito plus that were pretty darn good. The bull himself wasn't the most sound I was told(did not see it but trust the guy)

I really think Rito Plus was a darn good bull from what I have seen him produce. He wasn't the most impressive bull to look at, but he really out did himself when his progeny started hitting the ground.

THG

Yea I am not in a position to spend the kind of money it would take to buy one of those. But the embryos would be out of a Bushwacker daughter.

jscunn":34i8v1a2 said:

We only used Focus on 1 cow, a 6807 daughter, calf was fine but I thank God every day that is the only straw we used. Fooled around with a little Strategy and I was even less impressed. So between Fame, Focus, Strategy, and In Focus I can't imagine wanting those genetics in my herd. They all have the problem.

Rockn D left more poor cattle than good, much like the 1407 progeny they have THE WORST back legs in existence. The only RocknD bull I seen that was OK was Kapps Corner Post, seen him at Stevensons, the calves were better. I can't bring myself to use a bull like that when I have seen what his progeny are like.

Remember Grubbs MacKenzie? Big Dry Ranchers Choice? Nice 10 framers.... We had 2 heifers by MacKenzie, 1 was huge and 1 was small. We really liked the big one and she never bred. The little one was a nice cow.

When you all say "Focus," are you all referring to the Mytty In Focus bull? I really don't care for him nor his progeny. If you want beef cattle, use SAV 8180 Traveler 004, Stevenson Moneymaker R185, or Woodhill Foresight. Those bulls have the meat and carcass data and those are the type of bulls I think in my opinion the Angus breed needs to breed more of.

THG

Latest posts