wifes got stomach cancer

Help Support CattleToday:

well kids not a lot has changed. still dealing with the drainage. it has slowed considerably tho so we are making some ground on it. healing up is slooooow.
still haven't left the hosp yet tho. ins snafu has kept us from moving forward into a rehab facility. the home health org didn't want to deal with some of the iv meds so from here its on to complex care center.
not the move we wanted but it gets us closer to home. but further away from home mileage wise. either way its a good thing. hoping for that by the end of the week
I would like to thank everyone again for all the donations@ support@ prayers. a lot goes on that doesn't get posted here too like the folks helping gary out round the ranch. thank you all for helping us out. it is so appreciated

Continuing to pray for all of you. I know it is slow. My husband had drainage problems and had to stay in the hospital a long time. Time is all that will help. It seems like it will never end, but better days will come.

Williamsv":2inpufdc said:
It seems like it will never end, but better days will come.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Continued prayers for all of you. You all will come out of this, you'll get through. Don't give up hope and have Faith.

I am continuing my prayers for your family. Sometimes it seems that nothing is happening, but it takes a lot to come back from a serious surgery like your wife's. Please know if my family were closer to you we would be helping in any way we could, even is it was only for someone to listen to your rants about the situation.
Don't be shy about ask for help. When I had my bypasses or when my wife had her brain surgery we would have had a much harder time making it without help from our neighbors and friends.
People are good for the most part.
Again you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Gary, our prayers continue for your family. Like others have said, accept help without apology if it's offered. I know you are humbled by the support you've received, and that's not a bad thing! But accept all of that as it is offered/given: because people care about you.

Our thoughts and prayers continue for you and yours. Remember the end is worth what it takes to get there. All we can do is one step at a time.

I'm thinking about you Gary and wondering how I would handle your load. God Bless and try to stay strong.

where to start. we transfered out of lakewood friday afternoon and into an acute care facility in sarasota. had mixed feelings about it but options were limited due to the fact that angel eats thru a iv and still has an open wound on her belly 4 inches long still. at this point there is a small leak on her colon. it appears that the stump leak from her intestinal reconstruction has resolved itself. now onto the other issue.
the transfer went pretty good. the room is a shared room 2 beds. feels like a cheap hotel. but whatever..its not the hilton right. so we move in and try to get comfy. a cpl hours later they move another patient into the other bed. we spend the night so i can help angel adjust. sometime in the night the other women goes in to labored breathing and they work on her off/on all night. what misery. this isnt going well for us. nobody is really payin any attention to us either. nobody has really come to check on us till close to midnight when they bring in another iv feedbag. the wound nurse did come in and do an evaluation bout 7 pm tho which was good.
the next day is another day of not getting the attention i feel we should be getting and we cant even get anyone to empty the bedside potty.
noonish the women next bed goes into respiratory failure and me and gage get booted out of the room while they work on keeping her alive. now they dont get angel out of the room and shes 4 ft away! on the other side of the curtain is a women they are working on with 5-6 people and shes likely gonna pass. she didnt..but it seemed like it. bout 10 mins into this event i go in there and get angel out.
shes freakin and distraught over all this so i take her to the family room and we camp out for a cpl hours til things chill. all day after that im on the phone with everyone i can get ahold of that has anything to do with this case to get us out of here. well nobodys working cuz its the weekend ya know. or monday cuz its a holiday ya know. so no going back to the hosp. first thing 8 am sun morning i start calling the drs personal cell that im not sposed to have. the caseworkers number at home. im just going off the deep end cuz i dont feel comfortable leaving my wife there under these conditions. women next door could go into another episiode any second. f that...im threatening to haul her off myself.
today i get to the hosp bout 3ish ..gage needed some time not in the hosp...and she has seen everyone that could poss see her before i even got there. dr was in..oncologist was in. physical therapist was in..she had a bath...feeling pretty good cept for not having had much sleep.
things are completely changed or the better today. she has her own room. everyone has been much more attentive.
unfortuntely it doesnt look like things will change much soon. the wound dr says the leakage and the wound could set us back another 2 months.
we have an appt at moffitt on weds. talking about transfering us there since i pitched such a bitch but idk if they will take her with the open wound. we find out tues i guess. over all things aint bad considering. much better than fri nite and sat. at least our concerns were addressed right away altho we shouldve never had to see what we did. cant be unseen now.
long story..just another trial i guess.
brutal...

Sometimes you gotta raise a little crap.. My mother had to when my dad was in the hospital (where she had worked once upon a time) with 4 broken ribs.. no one was lifting his bed for him to eat, stretching the sheets or anything.

I'm glad living conditions have improved, sucks to hear about the setback though.

Sorry to hear of your terrible experience. Hospitals are getting worse every day. If you have a family member in one, you have to be there to see that they are given the care that they need. We even had to keep a check on the medicines that my mother was given or they would give her something that we had told them that she could not take.
My prayers continue for all of you. You are in the valley now, but one day you will be on the mountain again. God is good. He will not forsake you. Keep your faith even in these trials. Better days will come.

The whole system is very maddening and can seem impersonal. I hope she is able to get some rest now. Hospitals really don't place enough emphasis on that. (How are you to heal when you can't get rest?)

Having spent a good bit of time in hospitals with sick family members (including cancer battles), I would suggest going home early to rest on nights she's stable and fairly content, then try to get back in early to catch the doctors when they round, at least now and then...Often they come in at dawn when the patient is still asleep, groggy or not fully awake...makes it hard to get good, clear info.

my heart goes out to your son. What a tough thing for such a young guy. You all have my best wishes.

Man I am so sorry your having to go through this. The pain and stress of seeing someone you love go this pain is so difficult. I continue to pray for complete healing for your wife and strength for you and Gage.

Debbie

thank u. it has gotten better as far as accomodations. off to moffit cancer center for an evaluation tomorrow.
the wound guy here is a really good guy with a lot of mcgyver qualities. hopefully he can expedite her healing..
the case manager came in today to see if we were religious and ask about our faith preference. my wife told her we weren't strong professors of faith in the past but we sure are now!. that was a good laugh

gary, prayers of strength and healing still going up for your wife, son and you.
I am so sorry that she is having a tough time with her care. Thank goodness that she has you as her advocate.
You are a gem of a husband.

Gary, I know this is hard on your family. I can only pray that all turns out well. May God's peace be with you.

Continued prayers and waves of positive, healing energy from here. Its a very tough row to hoe, but y'all aren't alone. Just look behind you, we're all here, cheering you on and praying for you.

Latest posts