Why so much emphasis on the rump?

Help Support CattleToday:

TCRanch":29hnai8t said:
JMJ Farms":29hnai8t said:
True Grit Farms":29hnai8t said:
Do black cows have bigger rumps?

Yes. Anything black has a bigger rump. Just pay closer attention next time you're at the grocery store :hide:
:lol: :lol: Baby Got Back: I like big butts and I cannot lie . . . .

Been a long time since I heard that one TC!
Red beans and rice didn't miss her :lol2:

M-5":2n1wz2oy said:
I guess if you battered a turkey it would be chicken fried turkey. and everyone should know that you don't batter a chicken you just roll the parts in flour and drop it in the grease.
:mrgreen: oh man....Colonel Sanders just fainted.... :lol2:

ohiosteve":3ov3zeg7 said:
I ask myself why does this matter when it is just the round and I thought this was a low grade of beef. I've never heard anyone bragging about their round steaks, and round roasts are not very expensive. I'm sure I'm missing something.

You ever marinate a roast and smoke it low and slow? Good Lord.... a glimpse of heaven.

NEFarmwife":3pxja7bu said:
ohiosteve":3pxja7bu said:
I ask myself why does this matter when it is just the round and I thought this was a low grade of beef. I've never heard anyone bragging about their round steaks, and round roasts are not very expensive. I'm sure I'm missing something.

You ever marinate a roast and smoke it low and slow? Good Lord.... a glimpse of heaven.

Round is best TASTING cut on the Bovine . Most over cook it on the grill so its like whitleather.

It needs to run from you when you drag a knife thru it,.

ALACOWMAN":1y8gb8t3 said:
okiek":1y8gb8t3 said:
I knew someone from the north, east, or southeast wouldn't "understand" chicken fried steak. I'll never forget the trip I took with my parents in the 70's up the east coast and the looks I got when I tried to order it at every restaurant we stopped at!!

I'm from the southeast.and understand plenty about it..

I only threw in southeast to include Florida ;)

M-5":1hugsw31 said:
NEFarmwife":1hugsw31 said:
ohiosteve":1hugsw31 said:

Round is best TASTING cut on the Bovine . Most over cook it on the grill so its like whitleather.

It needs to run from you when you drag a knife thru it,.
no argument from me. We started smoking roasts for events because everyone loved how good they taste. I make homemade buns too. So we'll marinate a roast for a few days, smoke low and slow till it reaches about 120 internally, then slice it up. Boil off the marinate and add that and the sliced roast into a crock to bring to temp. Then serve with the buns. Party favorite!

Otherwise, we'll just slice it off thick and serve like a steak. A roast is absolutely delish!

Best part of raising cattle, you eat like kings! I enjoy cooking and use our smoker 5 times a week.

Here's the heifer I posted earlier, as well as sister and momma.. Every one of them makes me wish I could cut a steak out.. We're currently eating one of her steers and he is delicious.

Momma
IMG_8081sm.jpg

20180712_120849.jpg

20180712_120859.jpg

Big sister
20180712_120620_HDR.jpg

Little sister
20180712_120757_HDR.jpg

20180712_120803_HDR.jpg

Brother
20150617_100907sm.jpg

20150807_120951sm.jpg

Brother we're eating
20151031_152911sm.jpg

ohiosteve":157ey1a1 said:
Makes sense, and I can believe it, but I wonder if a smaller rumped animal with a wider topside would have more value to a producer who was selling freezer beef.

There is no such animal - although many claim to have them. Muscle mass has a certain pattern: when you increase it, there is a little change in the front of the animal moerate change in the back of it, and a lot of change in the rump.

Why is there a focus on big rumps? Those are the meatier animals. And any difference counts, because 50% of the value is in the rump, 30% in the back, and 20% in the front.

Does your desired steer look exactly like your ideal cow which also looks like your model bull? If so, your have erased normal male or female sexual phenotype from your intact animals and your herd will always suffer with the overall herd fertility and production. That is the current problem (one of them) in US cattle. The market steer is the model for all males and females.

Ebenezer":jzubdovg said:
Does your desired steer look exactly like your ideal cow which also looks like your model bull? If so, your have erased normal male or female sexual phenotype from your intact animals and your herd will always suffer with the overall herd fertility and production. That is the current problem (one of them) in US cattle. The market steer is the model for all males and females.

That is where red polls excel. The males are beefy and the females are feminine. The meat is packed with flavour and the yield is very high. But their muscle is oval shaped so they get judged poorly from eye appraisals because they don't have big buts. Their ema is very high compared to most breeds. Sadly this eye appraisal is killing the breed.

wbvs58":gz14iko5 said:
On equally conditioned animals is there any data that accurately proves that the nicely rounded rump actually weighs more than one with less than desirable outward visual shape???
No and data from many cattle/carcass shows proves that many of the placings in the live show are wrong when later
compared to the actual carcass data. That's why I say carcass shows are the only ones that matter, they make fluffy cows moot.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1u6pl8r1 said:
I would never be willing to "lose" muscling to "add marbling" using Waigu bulls.
"Generally", the muscle pattern you see on the rump is indicative of muscle throughout the whole carcass.
Not even if it increased the NET VALUE of the carcass by taking it from Low Choice to High Choice or Prime?
Seems short sighted to me... but to each their own, I do understand personal preference and eye appeal.
But the consumer sees only what's on their plate... not what is in the pasture.

Son of Butch":3c5fb620 said:
wbvs58":3c5fb620 said:
On equally conditioned animals is there any data that accurately proves that the nicely rounded rump actually weighs more than one with less than desirable outward visual shape???
No and data from many cattle/carcass shows proves that many of the placings in the live show are wrong when later
compared to the actual carcass data. That's why I say carcass shows are the only ones that matter, they make fluffy cows moot.
Blasphemy!!
Fluffy cow is all that matters.
fluffy cow is one of the biggest scams ever pulled on the American beef eating public.

I like to see animals that are deep in the flank, = more BEEF! So many of today's bulls lack and show no depth in the flank or width or rump.

As far as "black" cattle being better is a misnomer, they just have a better marketing program is all. Once the hid is off and the meat is in the grocery store you can't tell the difference.

I read an article that said that when the size of the carcass increased because cattle are being fed a little longer it resulted in a better carcass grade because. Angus may want to take credit for increasing carcass grades, but it simply is not the case. The article went on to say that 2 other breeds, Hereford and Fleckvieh could have just as much influence on carcass quality as Angus.

But everyone has bought into the 'black" hide and other colors are being overlooked because of it.

Also read that dairy beef contributes almost 23% to the beef consumed. Dairy beef has a 15% higher incidence of prime/choice carcasses and it estimated that 30 - 40% of USDA Prime in from dairy beef!

Latest posts