Why so much emphasis on the rump?

Help Support CattleToday:

I knew someone from the north, east, or southeast wouldn't "understand" chicken fried steak. I'll never forget the trip I took with my parents in the 70's up the east coast and the looks I got when I tried to order it at every restaurant we stopped at!!

What got me thinking about it was seeing how cheap round is to buy at the store. Usually less than 1/3 the cost of top cuts.

okiek":1jhvmjsd said:
I knew someone from the north, east, or southeast wouldn't "understand" chicken fried steak. I'll never forget the trip I took with my parents in the 70's up the east coast and the looks I got when I tried to order it at every restaurant we stopped at!!

That should have been a sign. "they ain't no such thang" as a chicken fried steak. I would pay money to see a chicken fry up some cubed steak but it would be impossible because they don't have hands.

okiek":17nw3vv0 said:
I'm from the southeast.and understand plenty about it..

ALACOWMAN":3duk93je said:
True Grit Farms":3duk93je said:
Do black cows have bigger rumps?
Some do....if I can """ever post a picture again""""I'll post one...hopeful cowmans got a good one couple threads below..
Just have to do it the old way
https://postimages.org/

I like this heifer and her sister.. At 17 months old she's still got the meaty look.. and she's got a muscled top from the shoulders all the way back.
20170502_104524s.jpg

I'm selling freezer beef. We're going to run a Wagyu bull over our Belties starting in December. I'm hoping my Belties will bring the rump and the Wagyu will bring additional marbling and flavor. Time will tell.

greybeard":ptlzo58i said:
Some of yall need to get out a little more...expand your horizons so to speak..........
edited1ChickenFriedSteakAndGravy-030-768x541.jpg

I think biting into this would be like getting soda when you expect milk. I'm not sure I could do it.

Bestoutwest":2yqtldn2 said:
greybeard":2yqtldn2 said:
Some of yall need to get out a little more...expand your horizons so to speak..........

I think biting into this would be like getting soda when you expect milk. I'm not sure I could do it.

I know exactly what to expect biting into that, makes hungry just seeing that picture of it. :D

M-5":303a3tup said:
okiek":303a3tup said:

That should have been a sign. "they ain't no such thang" as a chicken fried steak. I would pay money to see a chicken fry up some cubed steak but it would be impossible because they don't have hands.
Well actually by your definition.....fried chicken with a batter would actually be called southern fried chicken.....case in point, the Thanksgiving fried turkey isn't battered either. :mrgreen:

Ky hills":8q5ie4jv said:
Bestoutwest":8q5ie4jv said:
greybeard":8q5ie4jv said:

I know exactly what to expect biting into that, makes hungry just seeing that picture of it. :D
that one does look good and I know what I'd like to expect, I expect more meat than batter. Unfortunately, these days I'm more often disappointed. Had one at a cafe in Hillsboro a couple weeks ago. Paper thin meat. :(

JMJ Farms":1lmon5qh said:
True Grit Farms":1lmon5qh said:

Yes. Anything black has a bigger rump. Just pay closer attention next time you're at the grocery store :hide:

Edited to add: This phenomenon is more common in younger stock. Once a certain age of maturity is reached it equals out more.

JMJ Farms":1cd7mgum said:
JMJ Farms":1cd7mgum said:
True Grit Farms":1cd7mgum said:

Yes. Anything black has a bigger rump. Just pay closer attention next time you're at the grocery store :hide:

Edited to add: This phenomenon is more common in younger stock. Once a certain age of maturity is reached it equals out more.
I find calves that don't have a good rump turn into hatched arses as they age, the ones with a fat arse as calves lose some of it as they age, but still look good

Nesikep":2budnim2 said:
JMJ Farms":2budnim2 said:
JMJ Farms":2budnim2 said:

I find calves that don't have a good rump turn into hatched arses as they age, the ones with a fat arse as calves lose some of it as they age, but still look good
The one's I see gain with age, and don't look good to me.

1982vett":2w8eoed2 said:
M-5":2w8eoed2 said:
okiek":2w8eoed2 said:

Well actually by your definition.....fried chicken with a batter would actually be called southern fried chicken.....case in point, the Thanksgiving fried turkey isn't battered either. :mrgreen:

I guess if you battered a turkey it would be chicken fried turkey. and everyone should know that you don't batter a chicken you just roll the parts in flour and drop it in the grease.