Why no love for the Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron said:
I vaccinated cows this spring with Endovac vaccine and my pinkeye and footrot in those cows was way down. The company can't make that claim, but they have testimonials from other producers that say the same occurred with their cows. It is expensive, but I am seriously considering vaccinating everything next year with it and see the results. So far it is very promising.

I had 3 cases of pink eye in my Angus my first year. One heifer came in with it the first couple of weeks I had her, and two calves had it that next summer.

I started vaccinating and none since.

HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
My hay guy came for his check yesterday. He is a busy guy. Cutting hay for folks this week. I never knew anyone doing hay here in December.

He runs a feed business too, and he is a BTO for this area with 200+ mamma cows.

I have a registered Angus bull I am very proud of. I was thinking about putting a Hereford bull on my cows to make some baldies. He goes on to tell me how out of favor baldies are here. The number 1 reason he said is their propensity for pink eye.

Me watching the sale barn, baldies always topped the market.

Baldies do well for me.
You ever have pink eye?

Not on the calves. Had a Hereford cow get a case once.

HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
My hay guy came for his check yesterday. He is a busy guy. Cutting hay for folks this week. I never knew anyone doing hay here in December.

He runs a feed business too, and he is a BTO for this area with 200+ mamma cows.

I have a registered Angus bull I am very proud of. I was thinking about putting a Hereford bull on my cows to make some baldies. He goes on to tell me how out of favor baldies are here. The number 1 reason he said is their propensity for pink eye.

Me watching the sale barn, baldies always topped the market.

Baldies do well for me.
You ever have pink eye?

I know squat about cattle.....

But I know any can get pinkeye !

At another place someone I know has a breed I have not seen talked about on here it seems, and it pops up now and then...

It is kinda like saying Chevy trucks break down a lot, but if they are 80% of the market (I am making this up just as an analogy).....well course you will see more, there is more of them,,,not saying that there are that many baldies where you are, but that is what I would be looking at.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
W.B. said:
After the last round of Hereford bulls left us with some epileptic calves we cut bait and run just Angus now. We are an old Hereford family at one time I had some registered Hereford cows. The Hereford Association needs to learn how to protect their commercial producers from this but it seems they want to keep going as is.
Well, that seems to be a strange statement, since (I believe) Angus has the most genetic ont defects known in their breed.
While Angus have multiple defects, I can look up the registration number of any potential bull and know whether that animal is clean by pedigree. I am not sure any other breed can say that. Herefords don't list their potential carriers. Just plain backwards if you ask me.

To further add to my previous post. In a day and age when we have the ability to identify known lethal defects with a dna test why multiply them and pass problems on to unsuspecting commercial cow men?

W.B. said:
While Angus have multiple defects, I can look up the registration number of any potential bull and know whether that animal is clean by pedigree. I am not sure any other breed can say that. Herefords don't list their potential carriers. Just plain backwards if you ask me.

W.B., i'm not taking up for the hereford association, but the link below shows the sire of our bull with what i think is the genetic info. is this what your referring to?

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=3E3F292A&2=2420&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5B252425582525

W.B. The Simmentals have NO known defects in our "breed" - but, because other breeds have defects, all upgraded cattle using "other breeds with known defects" (Angus, Shorthorn, MainA, Chi, etc), members have to DNA test the offspring, if the dam/bull of the other breed has not been tested.
IF the calf shows to be carrying a defect, ASA will register them with the defect listed on the papers (and of course on their computer program).
I kind of disagree with this policy. I would rather have the animal ineligible for registration so they don't keep propagating defects. I understand that you can have a carrier and only keep clean offspring, but, if you have a heifer calf and it comes back as a carrier - #1 you are tempted to keep her in your herd -or - #2 you ship her and some unknown buyer gets her & breeds her.
Many people use "commercial" Angus bulls. Unknown to this breeder, he may end up with calving disasters.

ccr said:
W.B. said:

W.B., i'm not taking up for the hereford association, but the link below shows the sire of our bull with what i think is the genetic info. is this what your referring to?

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=3E3F292A&2=2420&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5B252425582525
What I am referencing is the potential carriers that are not tested that are not listed as such. Lots of potentials out there for the Hereford breed and with MSUD they have a bunch more.

Plenty of love for them here bought these 2 as open 5 year olds first Thursday in February turned out with bull and got 2 live bull calf's in December so they did what I love gave me baby's abd they are raising them

Latest posts