Why no love for the Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords are generally very mild temperament. This is a "blanket" statement - always exceptions, but over-all they are quiet dispositions. They are not known for having the best feedlot traits - less marbling and more outside fat.

Montanaidiot said:
From my reading they are easier to raise and better temperament then others. Is this true? Good for raising for beef. (Only want to raise 2)

We find them to be quieter than most breeds. We have been trying to breed for Herefords with better carcass, growth, and conversion. I'm sure just like any other breed of cattle that is represented here on CT by our cow/calf members; we find lines that have the qualities we want and strictly cull the ones who can't make the cut, if everyone did this (especially in the Hereford breed) I think more quality cattle would be raised. The biggest problem (especially in my area: Mid Atlantic) is there are so many people who have Herefords as their herd on their small farm only because of their docility. Which is fine, I too have a small farm with Herefords, but what I have noticed is people choose not to cull bad Herefords around here because "they are too sweet". Obviously because of my location im sure these herds don't have that big of an impact on the national market levels, however it is frustrating to see Herefords with poor feet, low milk production, poor growth, prolapse issues, and inability to raise a big calf all kept in the name of docility. I love the docility in my Herefords as much as the next guy, but I see an epidemic in the Hereford breed of many cattle being kept in the herd because they are sweet instead of being on the meat wagon because of frail bones and bad feet. I believe that just like most any other breed if all Hereford breeders properly selected cattle and kept a strict culling system (very important to any breed and herd) the Hereford breed would not have near the bad rap it does and it would be a more desired breed.

That's a good point. So I would want to try and get calves from a person who breeds them for more then just pets and I would have a better chance of getting a higher quality cow in the end. Makes sense thank you

My experience in the feedyard with retained ownership is that the Hereford sired calves and purebreds are below average on growth, don't reach the same finish weight, and will have 20-25% few USDA Choice carcasses. Fed calves sired by bulls from several respected breeders, all the same thing. I would never say that all Herefords are feedyard failures, but on average that's definitely not their strong point. Order-buyers are going to discount those calves to reflect those deficiencies.

Herefords make their money on the female side. Whether it's an F1 Black Baldie, Tigerstripe, or anything else, Hereford cross females tend to be pretty fertile, easy keeping cows with a lot of longevity.

From our perspective of being a commercial outfit, looking for the path of least resistance so to speak Hereford females work well here. In terms of weighing out factors like ease of handling( there can be a few flighty ones of them too though) efficiency in terms of both feed, and reproductive, as well as overall problem free and back to relative ease of handling when a problem does arise. I like Hereford cross females as well though sometimes they mature larger and have higher nutritional maintenance needs if one is keeping finite records. In my opinion only, it doesn't get much better than 1/2 or 1/4 Hereford and Angus for the rest of the equation for an all around hard to beat set of feeder calves. Though we are still straight breeding some Herefords and have a little ear in some too.

Montanaidiot said:
That's a good point. So I would want to try and get calves from a person who breeds them for more then just pets and I would have a better chance of getting a higher quality cow in the end. Makes sense thank you

get cattle from a real cattle guy that's been doing it a few decades... At least start out with something that isn't riddled with problems
We started out with cattle from a "gentlemane rancher"... bought the farm as an investment (a poor one though), and built a full vet hospital there... well, now we know why he needed it... poor bull choices, tiny heifers, etc... But they looked big to us at the time that were total greenhorns.. average weaned heifer size was like 350-400 lbs at 8 months! There were some simm crosses in there that were bigger, but they also matured into things that would eat you out of house and home...

I have a distant relative who raises herfords and has been forever pretty successfully. Maybe they would sell me something that will be good. I see things all the time on craigslist or auction yards. But you just never know what your going to get

Montanaidiot said:
I have a distant relative who raises herfords and has been forever pretty successfully. Maybe they would sell me something that will be good. I see things all the time on craigslist or auction yards. But you just never know what your going to get

Please DO NOT buy from Craigslist or auction yards. Go direct to a breeder. It will cost you more at the beginning, but in the long run, it will be money well spent. Contact the Hereford State breed association. Talk to an officer or director, get some names of reliable low key breeders. I don't think you need to be looking for that TOP breeder or show breeder. Just need some good reliable working genetics. Explain that to the officer and he/she should point you in the right direction and be able to name some near you.

Montanaidiot said:

Some of my best cows came off the Craigslist. If you have a eye for cattle I see no harm in it. Can usually get them really cheap.

Hardnosecattleco said:
Montanaidiot said:

Some of my best cows came off the Craigslist. If you have a eye for cattle I see no harm in it. Can usually get them really cheap.

I agree, although cattle on CL around here seem considerably overpriced regardless of quality. I know some will disagree with me on this but the stockyards isn't a terrible place to buy especially if one is looking for commercial cattle. Like with any other scenario you have to cautious and selective when buying. I think there are a lot of things to consider before starting out with registered cattle. I did that and now wish that I hadn't.

Hardnosecattleco said:
Montanaidiot said:

I agree - IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. This is not for newbies! The highest priced cattle turn out to be the cheap dogs that you lose your total investment on.

Fall quarter, Breeds of Livestock, Kildee Hall, 1969. Instructor takes off on Herefords [they were mostly all Horned @ that time]." Here's what you get with Herefords: Swing bags, pop bottle teats, prolapses, pink eye, eye cancer, bad feet and legs,
small calves @ weaning, fair feedlot performance, yield grade 4 & 5 carcasses." Question from the back of lecture hall: "Why are there so many Herefords around?" [60 years ago most of Americas cow herd was Hereford]. The instructor replied: "It's quite simple. Hereford cows wean more calves, breed back better, and last longer [especially in challenging environments].
And Hereford bulls cover more ground, breed more cows, and last a lot longer than other breeds."
If you know where to look you will find straight HORNED HEREFORD bulls that are extremely competitive in all phases of beef production.
We will be seeing more moderate frame size, true F1 black baldy females in Americas cow herd as producers relearn the HUGE advantages of the heterosis and figure out what it costs to feed 1500 to 1800# cows.
The good ones are out there. Go take advantage of what they have to offer.

After the last round of Hereford bulls left us with some epileptic calves we cut bait and run just Angus now. We are an old Hereford family at one time I had some registered Hereford cows. The Hereford Association needs to learn how to protect their commercial producers from this but it seems they want to keep going as is.

W.B. said:
After the last round of Hereford bulls left us with some epileptic calves we cut bait and run just Angus now. We are an old Hereford family at one time I had some registered Hereford cows. The Hereford Association needs to learn how to protect their commercial producers from this but it seems they want to keep going as is.
Well, that seems to be a strange statement, since (I believe) Angus has the most genetic defects known in their breed.

My hay guy came for his check yesterday. He is a busy guy. Cutting hay for folks this week. I never knew anyone doing hay here in December.

He runs a feed business too, and he is a BTO for this area with 200+ mamma cows.

I have a registered Angus bull I am very proud of. I was thinking about putting a Hereford bull on my cows to make some baldies. He goes on to tell me how out of favor baldies are here. The number 1 reason he said is their propensity for pink eye.

Me watching the sale barn, baldies always topped the market.

HDRider said:
My hay guy came for his check yesterday. He is a busy guy. Cutting hay for folks this week. I never knew anyone doing hay here in December.

He runs a feed business too, and he is a BTO for this area with 200+ mamma cows.

I have a registered Angus bull I am very proud of. I was thinking about putting a Hereford bull on my cows to make some baldies. He goes on to tell me how out of favor baldies are here. The number 1 reason he said is their propensity for pink eye.

Baldies do well for me.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:

Baldies do well for me.
You ever have pink eye?

HDRider said:

I've heard some of those same comments too, could be the case in some market areas. Honestly, yes pinkeye can be a factor, but I believe with good mineral programs and fly control that pinkeye is probably no more problematic in them than any others. I also believe that some individuals have more of a propensity to susceptibility to pink eye due their eye set, that should be considered when selecting replacements or bulls. The BWF calves have done well over all for us at sales both as feeder calves and as bred heifers.
I really believe that if you have a predominately Angus cow herd you can't go wrong with good Angus or Hereford bulls.

I vaccinated cows this spring with Endovac vaccine and my pinkeye and footrot in those cows was way down. The company can't make that claim, but they have testimonials from other producers that say the same occurred with their cows. It is expensive, but I am seriously considering vaccinating everything next year with it and see the results. So far it is very promising.

Latest posts