Why no love for the Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

WFfarm

Reaction score
At a recent local feeder sale I notice some full Hereford calves came thru and they sold for considerably less than other black or crossbred stock, like 20-30 cents less. They weren't very many of them but a couple were in nice condition and I was surprised by the low price. I would have cried if they were mine. Solid red calves did not get discounted.
Maybe it's a regional thing, but does anyone have any idea why this is? I know there is the marketing push of for Certified Angus and people are looking for the black hide, but does it make as much difference at the butcher. Is there something in the breed that the feeder and packers are not liking about Herefords, like too heavy bone ratio or they have smaller ribeyes? Just curious if it's just a marketing or preference thing.

Herefords in general are slower growing and slower maturing than other breeds and crossbreeds. Once they are long yearlings and closer to slaughter weight however, the difference in price narrows significantly. They grade fine.

It is as much a "black hide" thing here as anything. Any color other than black will take a hit here, anything with dairy looks to it will get massacred, anything with an"ear" will also take a hit. The other thing is the "pinkeye" curse. It is generally thought that herefords, with their lighter pigmentation, will get pinkeye more often than any other color or combination. I don't see it in our commercial mixed bred cattle.....get eye problems in every color. We try to keep calves out of cows that seem to be resistant to both pinkeye and getting worms. Don't worm our adult cattle hardly ever unless they look like they need it....thinner, poor coats, runny manure more of the time, hard keepers..... and if they continue to seem to need it, they go. Had one family that all the calves got pinkeye, and although they grew good, and responded to treatment well, all the retained heifers tended to have calves susceptible. Finally sold all related to them and it cut our problems way down.

Herefords are supposed to have good to better ribeye than many of the black breeds, with better marbling. But they do tend to grow a little slower.

My opinion is that the black hide nonsense has the most to do with the decline of Herefords, however they did get a negative reputation years ago for several issues. They were probably the most numerous breed around here till around 40 or so years ago. They got a name of having bad feet, bad udders, pink eye, prolapse, some folks even compared them to sheep in that if they got sick they were more likely to die than other breeds. These issues have been worked on and I truly believe that for the most part they have improved tremendously in all areas. I believe there are still problematic individuals and lines out there, as we have mainly had to deal with pinkeye from only one sire group of calves,
I believe that today as a breed they are one of the most efficient and problem free breeds out there. We run mostly Hereford and HerefordX cows, with both Hereford and Angus bred bulls. It has been our experience that the straight bred Herefords along with BWF calves have been significantly faster growing on average than our straight Angus calves, but in truth I think it comes down to the individual animal.
We sold a few at a Hereford influenced feeder sale yesterday, haven't got the check yet to see the breakdown, will give a report on that soon

Ky hills said:
My opinion is that the black hide nonsense has the most to do with the decline of Herefords, however they did get a negative reputation years ago for several issues. They were probably the most numerous breed around here till around 40 or so years ago. They got a name of having bad feet, bad udders, pink eye, prolapse, some folks even compared them to sheep in that if they got sick they were more likely to die than other breeds. These issues have been worked on and I truly believe that for the most part they have improved tremendously in all areas. I believe there are still problematic individuals and lines out there, as we have mainly had to deal with pinkeye from only one sire group of calves,
I believe that today as a breed they are one of the most efficient and problem free breeds out there. We run mostly Hereford and HerefordX cows, with both Hereford and Angus bred bulls. It has been our experience that the straight bred Herefords along with BWF calves have been significantly faster growing on average than our straight Angus calves, but in truth I think it comes down to the individual animal.
We sold a few at a Hereford influenced feeder sale yesterday, haven't got the check yet to see the breakdown, will give a report on that soon

Look forward to seeing how you did. Hope you faired well.

bball said:
Ky hills said:

Look forward to seeing how you did. Hope you faired well.

Thanks, we were well pleased with the total, for the way things have been. We don't have the weights and the individual breakdown yet.
I wish we would have had more calves for that sale.

Traditional Hereford cows don't milk enough to wean the biggest calves, but is there really any difference in post weaning growth rate compared to other English breeds?

Stocker Steve said:
Traditional Hereford cows don't milk enough to wean the biggest calves, but is there really any difference in post weaning growth rate compared to other English breeds?

I'm not disagreeing with the milk aspect at least on an individual basis. Especially as it pertains to traditional Herefords or Angus in comparison to what both breeds are in terms of mainstream breeding today, but that's a whole nuther can of worms.I had a few Hereford cows years ago that didn't milk real well and even In some Jersey/Hereford cross half sisters most milked great but one hardly enough to raise a calf. My lasted venture though has been quite different we have brought in both registered and commercial Hereford cows and have retained several calves from them by Hereford bulls and they have really surprised and surpassed my expectations of what
they can do in terms of weaning off calves. I would say ours will equal or out perform any of our Angus cows calves and especially when comparing straight bred Herefords to Angus. Certainly may not be others experience but we have been extremely satisfied with the results.
Post weaning growth has been very comparable for our Hereford vs the Angus. Overall they seem to continue at about the same plain as before weaning, I would say that by maturity our Angus are on average our bigger cows.

Stocker Steve said:
Here they really discount the light Herf heifers. Less than $1/lb currently.

That would be consistent here too on a regular cattle sale day. They get docked significantly at any size, at the yards around here.

Because they are garbage cattle and only the dumbest of the dumb raise Herefords. Amazing that people even bother to bid on them at all when you can sell black and bath in bathtubs full of cash. Although they are really easy to catch in the field without a rope, you just sneak up on their blind side and step on their prolapse.

When I worked kill floor I thought them big Hereford bulls with them drop horns, that had been weighted, were some of the neatest bulls I killed. I kick myself for not saving their heads Not much telling how many I have threw in the bone wagon and could have had if I had wanted, free of charge, now I see people will buy them.

Here in NY, people only had Polled Herefords. When we moved out here from Kansas, we thought they were all dwarfs or something (not really dwarfs - but you know what I mean). They were so small and light muscled compared to what we were used to seeing in KS. Finally figured out we were used to seeing good rangy Horned Hereford cows. Herefords have been discounted here forever. But, they were known to put outside fat and not marble, were light muscled, etc. Did not make feedlots any money.
Now, there are some really powerful Hereford cattle in this state. Better than Angus, IMHO. But, they are crossing HH & PH now that the associations combined. Whether they are better on the feedlot or not, IDK. Just know they LOOK a whole lot better.

From my reading they are easier to raise and better temperament then others. Is this true? Good for raising for beef. (Only want to raise 2)

Latest posts