Why I love southern states

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":27f9vzva said:
If they stand behind it, that little bit of print on the bag is worth more than all the other advertising money can buy. If we had one around here I'd feel privileged to do business with them.
I wonder how much that fancy pictures adds to the cost of that bag?

I use two different vets, one for all my medication and one for sit visits. I know that sounds strange but I drive past one a lot so I just stop in for medications but when I need a sit visit I call VT. I like using VT because they bring students along and sometimes the extra hands come in really handy when you are working on a sick animal. Back when I was buying sale barn steers my vet set me up with a bottle of Resflor and it works wonders compared to LA200.

skyhightree1":quvttu9p said:
larryshoat":quvttu9p said:
kenny thomas":quvttu9p said:
You still done great. And I know what it says but ask Lucky_P, Milkmaid, and some of the smarter ones about this also. If all I have is LA to treat a sick calf I just leave it untreated until I can get something. But read my signature before you decide. hahaha

kenny is right you need names like Zactran, Draxin, Zuprevo, Resflor, Baytril, Excede. They will do a much better job on BRD.

Larry

Larry,
Do all of those require a prescription to get them? My vet got some choice words from me over that rabid calf so I do not have a vet now but since im buying from barn now I would like something to give them.
Sky, although I buy sale barn calves I very rarely have to dr them. Lucky_P helped me with a vaccine program that I give as soon as I get them home and it is rare that I ever have a sick one now. But another advantage is we discourage traders from bringing in calves so all the calves are fresh. I will list the program later and you can ask some about their program. It is easier to prevent sickness than it is to cure it.

Kingfisher":52opn31f said:
TexasBred":52opn31f said:
If they stand behind it, that little bit of print on the bag is worth more than all the other advertising money can buy. If we had one around here I'd feel privileged to do business with them.

13% is running around 236. a ton here so the ink costs something.

fitz

kenny thomas":1ewd049b said:
Sky, although I buy sale barn calves I very rarely have to dr them. Lucky_P helped me with a vaccine program that I give as soon as I get them home and it is rare that I ever have a sick one now. But another advantage is we discourage traders from bringing in calves so all the calves are fresh. I will list the program later and you can ask some about their program. It is easier to prevent sickness than it is to cure it.
I hope you do post the vaccine program, be interested in seeing it. Lucky_P is a big help.

dryfork2":jazwrzy5 said:
Vets that work for salebarns are good sources for prescription meds. get to know them may not be local for farm calls but good meds are worth the drive.

good idea

Kingfisher":jazwrzy5 said:
TexasBred":jazwrzy5 said:

Not sure but thats a bag of jumpstart and only cost me I think 7.50 per bag maybe without the fance pic It would cost 7 per bag :lol2:

Toad":jazwrzy5 said:
I use two different vets, one for all my medication and one for sit visits. I know that sounds strange but I drive past one a lot so I just stop in for medications but when I need a sit visit I call VT. I like using VT because they bring students along and sometimes the extra hands come in really handy when you are working on a sick animal. Back when I was buying sale barn steers my vet set me up with a bottle of Resflor and it works wonders compared to LA200.

Sounds logical to me

kenny thomas":mrl4d4l2 said:
[ Sky, although I buy sale barn calves I very rarely have to dr them. Lucky_P helped me with a vaccine program that I give as soon as I get them home and it is rare that I ever have a sick one now. But another advantage is we discourage traders from bringing in calves so all the calves are fresh. I will list the program later and you can ask some about their program. It is easier to prevent sickness than it is to cure it.

Thanks and I would definately like to know what you do.

Kingfisher":d8hxpwf8 said:
TexasBred":d8hxpwf8 said:
Really not much at all. Just a stock pic they apply to the bag. Figure most of the cost is in the paper itself.

My Vet is about twenty minutes from here. Can always count on them when needed. They've hurt my feeling some over the years, but have always told me what I needed to hear. Those guys are probably the last people I'd want to fall out with.

fitz":1wy4o2dd said:
My Vet is about twenty minutes from here. Can always count on them when needed. They've hurt my feeling some over the years, but have always told me what I needed to hear. Those guys are probably the last people I'd want to fall out with.

:lol2: My vet made a whooper of a mistake I couldnt forgive that.

Sky, as soon as I unload I put the calves down the chute. I give them Inforce 3 ( which is a internasal vaccine which goes right where the calf picks up a virus), Presponse, Alpha 7, Cydectin injectable wormer, implant with ralgro, castrate the bull calves, and ear tag them with a number tag. They are then put in a weaning lot with good water, good hay, and a Chrystalyx tub that is designed for calves that may be stressed. I do not give them feed for a few days unless I know they are from a farm where they have been getting feed already.
I will not say this is the only way but it sure works for me. The Inforce 3 is a modified live virus. I buy it in single doses because once mixed it must be used very quickly. I never know if I will get 1 calf or like today 11 so this works better for me.

No problem. It works for me. I can get the vaccine local now that I started using it but first ordered it from Valley Vet. If bought local it sure saves a lot on the shipping. It ships overnight so it can stay cold so it cost more to ship.

kenny thomas":3unme99s said:
No problem. It works for me. I can get the vaccine local now that I started using it but first ordered it from Valley Vet. If bought local it sure saves a lot on the shipping. It ships overnight so it can stay cold so it cost more to ship.

If not mistaken I think they have all that in stock at tractor supply.

skyhightree1":uf138xar said:
Workinonit Farm":uf138xar said:
sky -------- how far are you from Keene?

A solid 2 hrs

Oh, okay. I know of a couple of decent vets in that area. One has come up to my place a few times (always willing to do so) and I'm about an hour to hour & 1/2 from there. 2 hours is a bit too far I would think.

skyhightree1":im9baxti said:
kenny thomas":im9baxti said:

If your tractor supply has it in stock you have a very good store. But they can get it im pretty sure. My problem is the closest TS is over 50 miles away.

Workinonit Farm":384819yp said:
skyhightree1":384819yp said:
Workinonit Farm":384819yp said:
sky -------- how far are you from Keene?

A solid 2 hrs

Oh, okay. I know of a couple of decent vets in that area. One has come up to my place a few times (always willing to do so) and I'm about an hour to hour & 1/2 from there. 2 hours is a bit too far I would think.

yea I will find one sooner or later hopefully sooner or I may have to ask my dog vet to write me a prescription for good drugs

kenny thomas":384819yp said:
skyhightree1":384819yp said:
kenny thomas":384819yp said:

If your tractor supply has it in stock you have a very good store. But they can get it im pretty sure. My problem is the closest TS is over 50 miles away.

I am gonna check tractor supply this weekend to make sure they have a good stock my store is 10-12 miles away thankfully and the agri supply store is 20 but im not sure if agri supply carries those drugs.

Sky, Sounds like you have a very good southern states and they can get everything I use if they will. It probably is not something they normally stock in your area because of the few numbers of cattle there.

Latest posts