Why do people get upset when they are told their livestock i

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I have noticed that people tend to not be in such a good mood at the messenger when told their livestock is out. I can't understand that.
I would appreciate being told my livestock is out, and if they stayed out a lot, I would be totally embarrassed.

I know what you mean. I'm glad people stop and tell me that I have something out. I know some folks you call and tell and they near about cuss you out. But the folks who don't like it when you call are usually the people whose cows stay out all the time.

Not sure, had one neighbor that would never fix fences and his cows stayed in my hayfield. Wife got made and went to town, came back with posts and wires to fence the hay field. He did not live on the place and would say they were not out when you called him. Called once 3 days in a row and he said his son checked and all their cows were there, I said ok I will sell these when i sell my calves next week. They were here in 15 minutes and started to fix their fence. Neighbor on the other side thought it was funny, said you fenced out someone cows, not fenced yours in.

Guy down the road runs 400 mamas with 1 strand of barb wire on most of one stretch. I call him weekly to get cows off the road. He's nice about it, but he spends most of his time chasing cows. :lol:

Isomade":6kz19h66 said:
Guy down the road runs 400 mamas with 1 strand of barb wire on most of one stretch. I call him weekly to get cows off the road. He's nice about it, but he spends most of his time chasing cows. :lol:
There are a lot of one strand electric fences in my area. I sure would not want to be near the road and do it though.

tom4018":35hz4eje said:
Isomade":35hz4eje said:
There are a lot of one strand electric fences in my area. I sure would not want to be near the road and do it though.
This one ain't electrified, and it's on the road.

Good question. I haven't run into it though. The few folks I've told about their cows were glad to know and any part of being ticked off was directed at the cows or the person driving the vehicle through the fence.

Only time I've been ticked off has been at myself for not taking care of a situation before it became a problem but was thankful the person told me my animal (or animals) were out.

Katherine

I've only seen it happen a couple of times, and both of those came from older (than me) stock owners who have had stock here since the days before the stock law went into effect. When the grass gets thin, they have always just let their cows "run the bottoms", foraging for themselves along the river bank and bottoms of the natl forest--but their cows don't ever stay just there and they get out on the road. Been lots of little 5-10 acre tracts sold to city types in the last 20 years, and they are the ones who usually call in the "loose stock' to either the owner of to the Sheriff dept, and the old timers get upset that all the new residents "are causing me problems".
If the stock is in front of my place on the fm to mkt rd, I usually just turn em into my place and call the owner and they come get them.

Neighbor did some fence repair a couple years ago (and he's a good neighbor -- just a little slow to kick-start), after I told him we'd start naming the ones we saw on our place often and just keep them here. :)

In my case if I get a call about cattle being out it's almost always from the same woman that borders on of my valley pastures. She KNOWS I leave for work at 1:30 AM and usually see those cattle before she wakes up. She will see cattle out in the late morning and then wait all afternoon and then call at 7:30PM to tell me that she thought I would notice but since I didn't I have to come get them now. Almost every time that I go down there(twenty miles away) I see HER footprints where she went out into my pasture to call her pack of shelter rescue dogs that changes from day to day(that were likely running my heifers) and didn't shut the gate behind herself and then left through a different gate... I tend to get a little short with her when I get informed that my cattle are out. ;-)
With anyone else, I'm thankful and polite even if I think they're an idiot. :D

I remember years ago my grandfather stopping to tell a guy his cattle was on the main road a couple of times, and he said the wife acted like it made her mad. It's not that they actually say much, what can you say, but their attitude is rather hateful. My grandfather decided to just stop telling them.

There was a guy who had two beef steers get out on us a few years ago, and they were the wildest things i had ever saw. They would go in a barn and tear the place up, or plow through a metal gate where normal cows didn't dare. He would come by and roam around some, but could never catch them. It went on for weeks. I'd have to call him regularly and he began to act irritated. He said there wasn't much he could do about it because they were so wild. I'm not one to act tough usually, but I told him he could either get them alive or i could easily arrange for him to pick up their dead bodies. He came the next day and tranquilized them. I just didn't understand that guy.

cow pollinater":3mmizf0i said:
In my case if I get a call about cattle being out it's almost always from the same woman that borders on of my valley pastures. She KNOWS I leave for work at 1:30 AM and usually see those cattle before she wakes up. She will see cattle out in the late morning and then wait all afternoon and then call at 7:30PM to tell me that she thought I would notice but since I didn't I have to come get them now. Almost every time that I go down there(twenty miles away) I see HER footprints where she went out into my pasture to call her pack of shelter rescue dogs that changes from day to day(that were likely running my heifers) and didn't shut the gate behind herself and then left through a different gate... I tend to get a little short with her when I get informed that my cattle are out. ;-)
With anyone else, I'm thankful and polite even if I think they're an idiot. :D
I beleive I would take a day or 3 off, be sitting at the base of a tree on a high point overlooking the gate with the 22mag. Looking for a pack of wild dogs running my cows

tom4018":3up29767 said:
Not sure, had one neighbor that would never fix fences and his cows stayed in my hayfield. Wife got made and went to town, came back with posts and wires to fence the hay field. He did not live on the place and would say they were not out when you called him. Called once 3 days in a row and he said his son checked and all their cows were there, I said ok I will sell these when i sell my calves next week. They were here in 15 minutes and started to fix their fence. Neighbor on the other side thought it was funny, said you fenced out someone cows, not fenced yours in.

I can relate to you tom. I too have a neighbor that doesn't take care of his cows, dogs, pigs, horses......... One time I didn't say anything to him about his calves being out and he left them over here for six weeks. I too have tried to fence his animals out on several occasions and and he never took the "hint." :deadhorse:

One time I mentioned that I was going to take my "red calves" to the sale and he just about broke his neck taking care of them. I whined about their dogs removing my boots and .......... and the response was, "our dogs didn't do that." :frowns:

My self I thank anyone that calls me to let me know that one is out or is having a calf. I figure if I am nice to them then they will call me back if they see a problem again, and a few false alarms are much better than a dead calf or a run over cow.

I have only had someone get hateful at me once for letting them know they had a problem. I was driving by a pasture and saw a cow that looked like it was having trouble having a calf. I stopped and got out my field glasses and watched her for a few minuets. She had a calf on the ground, but she also had a head hanging out as well. Apparently she had one twin ok and the other one got crossed up. After about ten minuets and she still could not get it out any father I went down the road to the house to tell the owner what was going on. He would not believe me and said that I did not know what the heck I was talking about, that he had just watched her calve, and she did not have twins and that it was afterbirth that was hanging out. After he cussed me I got in the truck and left. I drove by there the next week and there was a fresh pile of dirt where I had saw that cow. They must have decided to put in a septic tank in the middle of that pasture. ;-)

Latest posts