Whoever controls the food controls the nation.

Help Support CattleToday:

Clodhopper":9drvekif said:
Oh I didn't mean anything by it, I was just agreeing with you. My point was that it's apparent that very few are worried about the issue. I think it's an all our eggs in one basket issue, it seems we share a similar viewpoint.

Yep, think we are the same page there. Someone better be thinking about it before it is too late.

I love reading these articles in these beef magazines. EVERY single one.. SELL YOUR COW HERD!!!! SELL OUT !@ They are really trying to destroy the beef industry. Its really sad. I guess the industry saw way too much profit going to us farmers the last few years and it just really PIZZED them off.

I just read the Ohio beef mag and the editor or president had a big article.. It wasn't the COOL repel, or anything else.. it was because everyone kept ALL THE HEIFERS!!! YES!! ! ALL THE HEIFERS were retained!!!

seriously???? These are the people 'representing' us.

farmerjan":2km9154u said:
Clodhopper":2km9154u said:
Oh I didn't mean anything by it, I was just agreeing with you. My point was that it's apparent that very few are worried about the issue. I think it's an all our eggs in one basket issue, it seems we share a similar viewpoint.

Yep, think we are the same page there. Someone better be thinking about it before it is too late.

You can add me to the list! :wave:

Beginning in the 1990s, Stevenson explains, the number of cattle buyers coming to his feedlot dropped to the point where he'd have just one stopping by once a week. That made it impossible for him to bargain among buyers and get the best price for his cattle. One time a few years ago, a lone "field buyer" stopped by and offered $1.03 per pound for the four truckloads of cattle on Stevenson's lot. Stevenson says he tried to negotiate by offering to throw in five more truckloads if the buyer could offer $1.04. The buyer went back to his office to call his boss and ask if he could bid higher for the larger quantity. Then he called Stevenson to relay a counteroffer. "The field buyer was kind of grumbling," Stevenson recalls. "I said, 'Well, what'd (the boss) say?' "

" 'Tell him to go to hell,' " said the buyer. " 'It's two and a half if they want to do anything.' " The boss had gotten so angry at Stevenson for trying to negotiate a better price that he dropped his offer a half cent per pound -- just to teach the feedlot owner a lesson in who really controlled the deal, Stevenson says. And since Stevenson's cattle were ready, and he had no one else to sell to, that was the price he ended up taking.

http://www.hcn.org/issues/43.5/cattleme ... c-squeezes

"We're trying to stop the chickenization of our cattle industry, and it is happening fast," says Bill Bullard, rancher and CEO of the Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, or R-CALF, a Billings, Montana-based national trade association that supports cattle producers and has led the fight against the "Big Four" meatpackers — Cargill, Tyson, JBS and National Beef. "It's the last major livestock industry that has not yet been fully captured from birth to plate by the multinational corporations."

He says the "Big Four" packers now act like kingmakers, choosing which feeders to work with and which to let wither. Once many of the feeders were gone, so went competitive bidding for cattle, and ranchers along with it.

Now, there are so few feeders, sometimes a rancher gets just one bidder on his or her cattle going to the feedlot. "There used to be 20 or 30 bidders," Haynes says. Now, the bidder is usually a feeder who has a contract with a major meatpacker. Many packers now also own some of the cattle they slaughter, which means they don't always need to buy from ranchers. As the Obama-Biden platform described it: "When meatpackers own livestock, they bid less aggressively for the hogs and cattle produced by independent farmers. When supplies are short and prices are rising, they are able to stop buying livestock, which disrupts the market."

http://www.hcn.org/issues/48.22/obama-f ... nst-big-ag