which new trator to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a 2007 and 2011 M-9540. The 2007 was an early one, serial # in the low 50,000s. I liked the first so much I bought a second. Problems have been few, and most of them have been redesigned on the newer tractor. The 2007 is has close to 4,000 hours. A recent oil test said she was in prime shape. She burns ~ 2 gal./hour running a NH 4x5 round baler or my 9 foot rotary mower. I think this is very good fuel economy and would like to hear what the same size tractors from others are burning. I looked at a used MF with less horses, the owner said she burned a bit over 4gal/hr. Mine can turn a 11 foot mower without problem, wish I had one.
Don Eskelund

We have 4 Kubotas and 1 JD. Really like the Kubotas. M4900, M5100, M6040, M126. JD is a 6430. The fuel efficiency on the K's are very very respectable. I like the new bigger cabs but I didn't want the DPF maintenance.

Sizmic

went with orange 100 hp instead of green 6115 600 hours still love it lots more trans better price do your homework saved 12000. over list still 5000 cheaper than green both good dealers and close to home had 3 green ones in 12 years never a problem with jd just high price but resale on green will save your but just hope orange has a good resale my 2 cents br

Have 2 kubota tractors and a JD. Have a 108 hp had 3yr and the 95 hp 1yr. The 95 hp have had no problem, but have had some problems with the 108.They are light in the rear. The 95 hp will handle the loader as well as the 108 hp.
The reason I have Kubotas can drive them to the dealer. The ford dealer is not interested in selling tractors.
Cabs are small and they really do not like hills. I can go with the Jd in 2 wheel where the Kubotas have trouble in 4 wheel. For health reason never get on a steep slope in 2 wheel with the kuobtas.

i would prolly step up to the new kubota 9960 hydro shuttle.the last 8540 i priced rigged out was $36000 4x4 rops hydro shuttle loader.buddy bought a 2008 105 kubota few months ago.

I'm the guy with two M-9540s. I was thinking about any down sides of the tractors that I should have mentioned. One has the 8 speed, the other the 12 speed trans. Two speed transfer case. I had some ground that had been badly rutted up before I bought it, across the direction that I mowed. I generally mow in high transfer, first gear. When I got to the rough ground I would have to stop the tractor, shift the transfer case to low, cross the rough ground in 4th gear low transfer, then stop again, shift the case once more, and continue. It annoyed me, I tilled and replanted the rough ground. With the 12 speed one still has to shift the transfer case when transitioning between the same speeds as the 8 speed (no real advantage here), though I can mow in high transfer, 2nd gear with 12 speed a bit more, while 2nd with the 8 speed needed really smooth ground and was faster than I really cared to go. I got the 12 speed because it was on the lot and was being replaced by the newer models, so the price was good, and there are many advantages of having two the same.

Cheers,

Don Eskelund
The Hayman Farm
Winslow, Maine

highgrit":v6fphwky said:
I agree with the service and dealer part. Our J.D. dealer to the south treats us like crap. I bought a Kubota RTV 1140 and have had no problems so far, and the dealer is great. I have 3 Deere tractors now but my next one will be a Kubota as it now stands. The dealer told me as long as it's off season they will come and pick the tractor up for service free of charge. And their labor charge at Kubota is cheaper than at the J.D. dealership, but the parts are still high at both. The Dealer is the biggest deal maker breaker for me.

High the deere dealer here where I am is not the most pleasant place to do business with either. The local case dealer here is great they are sending me a new sprayer to test out for a week this year to see if I like it and want to buy it. I like my case dealers service hands down.

I will agree with whats already been said. I run a M6800 and M8540. They are good reliable tractors at a fair price. The cab on the 8540 is a lot nicer than 6800. I think the M100-M135 is the way to go though. I haven't run a new deere so I can't recommend one of them. Things I would like to have on a hay tractor are a powershift transmission (clutchless shifting), hydraulic controls close to the seat that doesn't require moving more than your hand and maybe the forearm to reach, good lighting, and an Air condition that will blow snow flakes. I usually work all day then work in the hay field in the afternoons to well after dark sometimes. After being in the elements most of the day a nice cab tractor makes the 14+ hoour days much more bearable.

I looked at a Kubota 8540, New Holland 5040, and Case Farmall 90 a few years ago when I bought my new tractor. I was in the car headed to buy the New Holland when I drove past the local John Deere dealer. I thought "what the heck" so I stopped in intending just to validate that John Deere had nothing to offer in my price range.

I looked at the John Deere 5093E that day and was really impressed. Thought it offered more for the money than the other models I had been looking at. Did some more research over the next few days and ended up buying the John Deere. After 3 1/2 years living and working with my John Deere, I've never regretted the decision. I use my 5093E hard in the summer to cut hay with a JD 830 MoCo and bale with a JD 467 baler.

John Deere has an option to fit any budget. Don't discount John Deere until you take a look....

Go with Kobota and take advantage of low interest rates. Set up on as many years as possible and get the Kubota accident insurance. The insurance pays for repairs as long as you are paying for the tractor.

Bought a new 2004 6800 4WDwith loader, cast rims, and duals because I do alot of steep hillside bushhogging. I needed the extra weight and extra width. Sslesmans told me about the optional insurance. Decided I would add it on. Glad I did. Had an $6000 accident three years later that was taken care of by the insurance. Would have been a "hard hit" if I hadn't had the insurance. I don't know if other manufactures offer the insurance.

Thought about trading for a new model after it wss paid off, but changed my mind based on the weight of the new models. Would had to gone to 100 hp model on a new one to get the same weight as my older model 70 hp. Weight is a very important factor here in Eastern Kentucky where we operate on steep inclines.

State Farm, and most insurance companies offer the right accident insurance, but you either have to know what to ask for (which is nearly impossible) or you MUST find an agent that knows farming and understands what you are using the tractor/equipment for. With State Farm, you have to have a knowledgeable agent offer the option of "direct physical loss" or you have to know to ask for it. My wife drives the tractors, feeds the cattle and throws the hay, so a lot of the surrounding agents send farm-related business her way, but we just heard of a farmer whose agent was not so insightful and he has suffered dearly for it. I think all insurance companies operate the same way, I might be wrong, but I think the end user has to really understand what is and is not covered before feeling truly insured. We just discussed this topic this weekend at a Kubota dealer talking about a new m8560 with a loader.

This has been a very informative thread. I'm surprised I missed it the first time around.

We have a 2007 Kubota M7040 4 wheel drive with a FEL. I really like this tractor. It's so easy to handle even a mortgage banker can handle it. LOL!

I still can't understand for the life of me why people take the time to register but do not put their location :???: :???: :???:

Overall I am pleased with my Kubota M126GX. (105 PTO HP) The smaller tractors in the MGX series are in the HP range you are looking at. I wanted the larger frame tractor for bigger tires, more ground clearance, longer wheelbase, more loader capacity, etc.

It's at least 70 miles to any dealer here, so distance doesn't matter that much to me. There are 3 Kubota dealers if I drive 100 miles west, north, or east.

My orange dealer also sells red and blue. You can compare to yellow up the street, and green down the street. ;-) Kinda like the car dealers, the ag equipment dealer tend to gather in close proximity :lol:

skyhightree1":xp6y0t9f said:
highgrit":xp6y0t9f said:
I agree with the service and dealer part. Our J.D. dealer to the south treats us like crap. I bought a Kubota RTV 1140 and have had no problems so far, and the dealer is great. I have 3 Deere tractors now but my next one will be a Kubota as it now stands. The dealer told me as long as it's off season they will come and pick the tractor up for service free of charge. And their labor charge at Kubota is cheaper than at the J.D. dealership, but the parts are still high at both. The Dealer is the biggest deal maker breaker for me.

High the deere dealer here where I am is not the most pleasant place to do business with either. The local case dealer here is great they are sending me a new sprayer to test out for a week this year to see if I like it and want to buy it. I like my case dealers service hands down.

My cousin owns the Deere dealership here and I have a New Holland and Massey.
Price for green and yellow paint is not worth it for me when most if not all the tractors are made overseas.

You go to La Porte Texas and you can see acres of any color you want in crates coming out of containers from overseas.

Cb I agree were moving towards more and more case row crop equipment my case dealer has shirt or something says green is for crops and buy red save your green.

Latest posts