Putting the kubota to work

Help Support CattleToday:

Pumped my pond and using the tractor to clean it out. Was silted in so bad was only a couple feet deep in the middle. Hopefully she'll still hold water when I'm done.
Pulling the plug out when I do something like that and it not holding water afterwards is always a worry for me. We don't have good clay here for building dams.

Ken

Looks like a good way to get yourself stuck and get muck in places it shouldn't be. Ha
I found out a long time ago, its cheaper in the long run to hire a tracked loader or track hoe, cause you get muck in front hubs + stuck, and that aint good for seals, bearings, and that costs any savings of doin your self.

I found out a long time ago, its cheaper in the long run to hire a tracked loader or track hoe, cause you get muck in front hubs + stuck, and that aint good for seals, bearings, and that costs any savings of doin your self.

Yep, the typical axle and seals aren't really made to be constantly submerged in liquid muck that grinds its way into nearly ever nook and cranny.

I have a cat track loader (not a skid steer). Unless I can open both ends of the pond and push the mud/slurry out, a 4wd tractor can always work faster than me, even though I've got the bigger bucket. But getting the mud and grime out of the undercarriage is a JOB!!!

I have a cat track loader (not a skid steer). Unless I can open both ends of the pond and push the mud/slurry out, a 4wd tractor can always work faster than me, even though I've got the bigger bucket. But getting the mud and grime out of the undercarriage is a JOB!!!

Maybe a 4wd tractor can move it faster and with no track shoveling.

But when a guy spends 10k+ bucks rebuilding a front axle on a farm tractor suddenly it won't matter that he did it a little faster.

A farm tractor was designed as just that a tractor. A loader is an add on designed to do "add on" type work (move hay, load manure or dirt occasionally, push some snow, etc). They are not made to be end loaders, earth movers, etc. Can they do it? Sure. Will they eventually fall apart from constant earth moving type use? Absolutely.

Having rebuilt probably 15 4wd front axles under various tractors for customers and myself there's no way in heck I would put any of mine in a pond bucketing muck out.

But when a guy spends 10k+ bucks rebuilding a front axle on a farm tractor suddenly it won't matter that he did it a little faster.

A farm tractor was designed as just that a tractor. A loader is an add on designed to do "add on" type work (move hay, load manure or dirt occasionally, push some snow, etc). They are not made to be end loaders, earth movers, etc. Can they do it? Sure. Will they eventually fall apart from constant earth moving type use? Absolutely.

Having rebuilt probably 15 4wd front axles under various tractors for customers and myself there's no way in heck I would put any of mine in a pond bucketing muck out.
Dito,
BTW, does anyone know how much a bucket full of muck weights, bet it overloads most 4wd tractors

Dito,
BTW, does anyone know how much a bucket full of muck weights, bet it overloads most 4wd tractors
You also have to be very careful with it on uneven ground with the bucket raised even a few feet. It Slush/muck) easily shifts and can cause rollover to one side almost without warning.

Don't say that, making me nervous. Probably putting a lot of wear and tear on it but I guess that's why I bought it. Got it in 2020 and have 250 hours on it so she doesn't get used to hard most of the time.

On mine probably 1k lbs or more. Back tires are popping off the ground and they are filled.

So your taking an already borderline adequate front axle, knowingly/repeatedly overloading it then what, praying it doesn't fail?

Hahaha.

Keep on keeping on. Guys that treat equipment like that are what keeps my shop lined up with work out the door. Haha.

If I load it full, will dump the bucket a bit to adjust the load if it's too much. I think they asked how much it weighed fully loaded, was just trying to answer. I'll update when I'm done to let you know if it survived. Not any harder on it than a big round bale weight wise.