which new trator to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

onecarl2002

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy a new tractor 85 to 90 hP 4 wheel drive with a loader. I am looking hard at a kabota 8540 but I hear they are a little light in the rear end. What would you recommend if you were going to buy a new one right now and what do you think about the kabota.
thanks
ps.
Dont recommend a massy because you couldnt give me one. I am trade my new one in.

onecarl2002":1sd77b3m said:
I am getting ready to buy a new tractor 85 to 90 hP 4 wheel drive with a loader. I am looking hard at a kabota 8540 but I hear they are a little light in the rear end. What would you recommend if you were going to buy a new one right now and what do you think about the kabota.
thanks
ps.
Dont recommend a massy because you couldnt give me one. I am trade my new one in.

If you are going new they are all pretty decent - no matter the colour, they're mostly all made in India, Mexico and such anyways if memory serves me.

All colours have a decent tractor in the size you are looking at. Funny because I know a lot of folks that have had good luck with Massey - never owned one myself though - never been within 100 miles of a dealer.

Get the cab and all wheel drive plus loader - you do not say what you will use it for but I figure light bale haul and baling.

Personally I work "damm the colour" - it is price vs HP plus the dealer - because sooner or later you will need him! So I do not have a comment on your Kubota other than to say almost all their equipment runs pretty decent and you probably will not go wrong. I do prefer a heavier tractor though.

Here comes the "only buy JD, Only buy NH, only buy Case" crowd. I will just sit back and watch now.

Best to you

Bez

I personally have Case JD MF NH Ford Long never owned a Kubota but as I said in another post I plan on getting one when I am on the market for my next tractor that being said I would try Kubota another reason because the dealers here have awesome sales all the time.

Whichever one has a dealler close to you with a really good reputation for parts/service.

onecarl2002":2i1qy688 said:
thanks
ps.

All new brooms sweep good an this shall pass no matter the brand.
The one you can get parts for the easiest. They all break down.

Caustic you are right.. Where I am the other grain farmers always give me grief because I have 2 jd combines and 1 case I tell them they all do the same job so it doesnt matter they look at me like I have 4 heads.

Caustic Burno":1l3bhwm3 said:
onecarl2002":1l3bhwm3 said:
thanks
ps.

All new brooms sweep good an this shall pass no matter the brand.
The one you can get parts for the easiest. They all break down.

Very true and with today's economy I would look at where the another dealer is besides the closest one as some are closing up.

As far as Kubota being light a lot depends on what you are going to be doing with it. Any of the major brands should be good, go try several and see what you like. JD and NH/Case make some cheaper models that are a not as operator friendly as their more premium models.

We've had a Kubota M4900 and a 6800, and have been very pleased with them. I'd say the 8540 would be a good tractor to look at if you have a dealer close by. Starting to see more and more Kubotas around here. Like others have said tho, I would go with a brand that has a dealer close by. Seems like equipment breaks down at the worst possible time, and it's that much worse if you can't get parts or service when you need it.

Kubota just come out with the M8560(85hp) and M9960(99hp) tractors. Im looking at replacing my old 1135 Massey with a M9960 this spring. Its a lot lighter than the old massey but I will use it mostly baling and really don't need it to be super heavy. Kubota makes a M100x that a little heavier built but comes with a heavier price. I looked at a 5101E John Deere. The Kubota was only 500lbs lighter but 7 more PTO hp(They are all getting lighter). I priced both and the Kubota was about 1500 cheaper(Not enough to matter IMO). Im thinking of going with the Kubota because I already own a M5640 and so far no issues. The dealer is 20 miles closer and has a good service department too. I wouldn't worry too much about what kind as much as what I need and how close and how good the dealer is.

B&M Farms":2sb8xvsf said:
Kubota just come out with the M8560(85hp) and M9960(99hp) tractors. Im looking at replacing my old 1135 Massey with a M9960 this spring. Its a lot lighter than the old massey but I will use it mostly baling and really don't need it to be super heavy. Kubota makes a M100x that a little heavier built but comes with a heavier price. I looked at a 5101E John Deere. The Kubota was only 500lbs lighter but 7 more PTO hp(They are all getting lighter). I priced both and the Kubota was about 1500 cheaper(Not enough to matter IMO). Im thinking of going with the Kubota because I already own a M5640 and so far no issues. The dealer is 20 miles closer and has a good service department too. I wouldn't worry too much about what kind as much as what I need and how close and how good the dealer is.
I would also go with the kubota, i just think they are the best you can buy, in there size.

When I bought mine, it came down to three. I passed on the Case because the local dealer' service department had a terrible reputation. I had just about decided on the Kubota, liked the way it handled and was quieter than my Deere, but the salesman would make an appt. to look at my trade in stuff then never show up or call (did that twice). The comparable model in John Deere was about 1000 lbs heavier which I thought would be a benefit when I occasionally plow a field, the dealer and his service dept. had a very good reputation, and the salesman gave me top dollar on my trades. I don't think you will go wrong with a Kubota, but also I agree with the others, go with the brand with the best service and parts departments.

We just purchased our newest tractor this past spring... a John Deere 6100D. I agree with all of the advise posted above and will stress that it really comes down to your local dealer and service center.

Since the purchase of our newest tractor, we have completely switched over to "Green". That decision was made almost exclusively due to sales and service. Our local John Deere dealer is top notch and gave us the largest trade-in on a different colored tractor. Seems lately that JD can compete with anyone now on price... not like it used to be in years past.

I will give you some advise my father once gave me though... Do not under buy your tractor. Make sure it has everything that you will need with the power to support it!

Good luck in whatever you decide to purchase! :cboy:

Brian

I went with a Case in 2004 over a Kubota due to the price difference at first, and then with the recommendation of the Kubota dealer. The dealer asked what I was going to do with it and I said farm. He "the Kubota salesman" said Case if a farm tractor and these are more utility, comfort style tractors. More grunt and weight with the Case. He also stated that with Case you could have major parts to the farm quicker than with the Kubota. Not my words, but words directly from a Kubota dealer. I have been pleased with Case and my local dealers service department as well.

I agree with the service and dealer part. Our J.D. dealer to the south treats us like crap. I bought a Kubota RTV 1140 and have had no problems so far, and the dealer is great. I have 3 Deere tractors now but my next one will be a Kubota as it now stands. The dealer told me as long as it's off season they will come and pick the tractor up for service free of charge. And their labor charge at Kubota is cheaper than at the J.D. dealership, but the parts are still high at both. The Dealer is the biggest deal maker breaker for me.

onecarl2002":33naj1wv said:
thanks
ps.

I climbed around on one of those 8540's at a dealer. They are nice! I don't see why filling up the rear tires with fluid wouldn't take car of the rear end lightness. I have a much smaller Kabota and making that little modification did wonders.

With 4x4 tractors they can be a little lighter. I have a 1135 massey that weighs 18,000lbs with the wheel weights. I drag a Hay King 12' drag type offset disc with 22" blades and its a pretty good load in tight ground. My cousin has a NH TS110 4x4 that weighs probably around 10,000lbs and he can drag it as long as he is in 4x4.

James T":3w3x8ozj said:
onecarl2002":3w3x8ozj said:
I am getting ready to buy a new tractor 85 to 90 hP 4 wheel drive with a loader. I am looking hard at a kabota 8540 but I hear they are a little light in the rear end. What would you recommend if you were going to buy a new one right now and what do you think about the kabota

I climbed around on one of those 8540's at a dealer. They are nice! I don't see why filling up the rear tires with fluid wouldn't take car of the rear end lightness. I have a much smaller Kabota and making that little modification did wonders.

Unless its too big for your needs try a M100X Kubota. It is a longer, heavier made tractor. I owned a M8540 before I got the M100X. Both are as good as the service even though I have not needed any service other than filters in years.

Kubota is trying to take over the hay market. They already have an agreement with vermeer and last year reached an agreement with vicon.

KT how do you like that m100x. Thinking that will be my next tractor after I get the 7040 paid for.

Latest posts