which new trator to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":28m2yksi said:
Cb I agree were moving towards more and more case row crop equipment my case dealer has shirt or something says green is for crops and buy red save your green.

Case NH same thing owned by the same company one is red other is blue.

skyhightree1":j00fz4qq said:
Yea nh burns me up on parts case not so much

Doesn't the new holland dealer have both new holland and case? Here the new holland dealers sell both. Iam not sure never had a case or new holland tractor but u would think the parts would be interchangeable ??

pricefarm":2ha9dpvq said:
skyhightree1":2ha9dpvq said:

Doesn't the new holland dealer have both new holland and case? Here the new holland dealers sell both. Iam not sure never had a case or new holland tractor but u would think the parts would be interchangeable ??

No sir 2 different places

we deal with 3 dealerships.the case and kubota dealer are togather and the jd dealership.we retired the ford so we dont deal with that dealership.

skyhightree1":1whvxtt3 said:
pricefarm":1whvxtt3 said:
skyhightree1":1whvxtt3 said:

No sir 2 different places

While many CaseIH and NH tractors are built on the same platform, unfortunately not many of the parts are interchangeable. :roll:

Used to be most of the dealers "here" carried both CIH and NH, and most still do. I assume that was because back "in the day" before the mergers, most of them were IH, NH, and Versatile dealers.

The dealer I bought my Kubota from is more of a rare heritage. They were Case and Hesston only when they started in the 1960s. There was an IH dealer around that folded, so the Case dealer became the IH dealer.

Same with the Ford tractor dealer folded and so they ended up with FNH/Versatile.

Gave up the Hesston franchise somewhere along the way but I can still get parts for my Hesston baler from the CaseIH parts book. ;-)

Another long time another IH and NH dealer had both CIH and FNH. Now they just carry NH and a long list of short lines, along with a Chevrolet dealership.

This dealer had a sister dealer in a neighboring town also in the ag and auto market but they quit ag equipment altogether. Sister dealership still sells Chevy, GMC, and Buick. Also had Pontiac and Oldsmobile back in the day.

TN Cattle Man":1q5jee3o said:
We just purchased our newest tractor this past spring... a John Deere 6100D. I agree with all of the advise posted above and will stress that it really comes down to your local dealer and service center.
Brian
I also bought a 6100D. It does not have the electronics the M and R series have. That was a selling point to me. I wanted a work horse, no frills tractor. This has been a very reliable tractor. Coldest air I have ever been in.
I priced the orange tractors. There was not much difference in price when you added the options.
Our Deere dealership is great. They also carry Krone hay equipment. I have also bought a disc mower and tedder from them.
Dealer support is the name of the game.

What is like to know is how can y'all justify spending 40 to 50 k on these Tractors? Man I love them and would love to have one just can't see where the money is for them in a smaller cattle outfit 30-40 head of Moma cows. Let me in on the secrets? ;)

Jrebyank":32x04mc8 said:
What is like to know is how can y'all justify spending 40 to 50 k on these Tractors? Man I love them and would love to have one just can't see where the money is for them in a smaller cattle outfit 30-40 head of Moma cows. Let me in on the secrets? ;)

40-50k on a tractor that will last your lifetime and your kids if they take care of it is a justifiable spend. However, Its all about managing your $ and making the right calls. Many of us here are " Hobby " farmers and have businesses or jobs or retired. You have to make the cattle work for you.. make them pay for land and or equip if at all possible. The cattle pay for themselves at my place I do not have a 40-50k tractor that I use for cattle. However, with 30-40 mama cows I don't see why they couldn't pay for one.

skyhightree1":6we4zhgc said:
Jrebyank":6we4zhgc said:

40-50k on a tractor that will last your lifetime and your kids if they take care of it is a justifiable spend. However, Its all about managing your $ and making the right calls. Many of us here are " Hobby " farmers and have businesses or jobs or retired. You have to make the cattle work for you.. make them pay for land and or equip if at all possible. The cattle pay for themselves at my place I do not have a 40-50k tractor that I use for cattle. However, with 30-40 mama cows I don't see why they couldn't pay for one.

Back in the day, I used to run close to 200 cows at the peak. Seems I would get my numbers up there, then drought would return.

Now you could say that I'm another hobby rancher. I don't have cows anymore. Or sheep (had 100 at one time). I miss having livestock, but I'm just not able to do it anymore.

But I can still hay with a good tractor that makes the job easier. The Kubota cab is nicer than sitting in my air conditioned house and I feel like I'm accomplishing something useful.

Now I have to find a market for my hay because I have no livestock to feed it to. Hay is a boom or bust kind of crop. Not much of a market this year for sure.

I look at it this way. If I would have had this $80K tractor back when a similar tractor cost $40K, I would be in better health today. :idea: I don't know think anyone can put a price on that.

Aren't many. but there are a few hobby guys here too. One neighbor has worked full time at the local co-op all his life, mainly driving the fuel truck now. He also ranches with about 80 cows. Works a lot of nights/weekends on haying. Takes his annual vacation time every year for calving. Don't know how he does it.

His main tractor is a $40K 5140 he purchased at his uncle's estate sale. Also has a Belarus he bought back in the '90's when they were selling for about $20K new. ;-)

Yea, I think 40k for a tractor is reasonable because a good truck will cost you that new. The tractor will definately last longer than the truck and is more useful IMO If you look at what you would spend on a new car that just cost you money and a tractor that you can make money with I think it will be easier to swallow and bite the bullet and get. I have older tractors and they are doing the job some with ac some without but there will be a time I want to upgrade and will drop 40-50k on a tractor if my brother Inyati gives me the money or my real estate tycoon brother Double T gives it to me. LOL

We just dropped 30k on a 05 95hp Kubota with 230 hrs. 90ish JD 4455 crapped out and would run about 20k to fix. First cabbed tractor we have owned. Once you have a tractor with a loader, you can't live without it, so it was a no brainer for us. But like was said, didn't want to drop the cash on a new one.

Jbonnot03":1v32wkh7 said:
We just dropped 30k on a 05 95hp Kubota with 230 hrs. 90ish JD 4455 crapped out and would run about 20k to fix. First cabbed tractor we have owned. Once you have a tractor with a loader, you can't live without it, so it was a no brainer for us. But like was said, didn't want to drop the cash on a new one.

Is the 'bota an M9000? That's really low hours. There's one near here listed at 31,500 with a lot more hours.

fitz

Neighbor who runs cattle on my place bought a new JD 6150M this spring. Don't know what it cost, but I've heard comparable size new green tractors cost $40K more than a new orange tractor. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Then there's that legendary green resale value. JD 7410 with 5K hours sold last week at a local retirement auction for $73K. $15K more could have bought a brand new orange tractor with warranty.

The 7410 JD will out pull pull any Kubota tractor. Kubota is a good hay and ranch tractor, but their to light duty for row cropping. And are they going to last 15 - 20k hours? Only time will tell.

you can always find low hour like new clean botas around here with ease.yes botas are lite but they can hold up tobeing worked hard.highgrit want to know where my brothers jd 6105d cab 4x4 sitts with out moving ecept for 6 days a year pulling the baler.it stays under the shed.the kubota does the haying and unloading and stacking hay.

Latest posts