New side x side

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I went to Toowoomba last week for a doctors appointment, turned out to be an expensive appointment as I went browsing at side x sides. I placed an order for a Kawasaki Mule, I'll pick it up on the 13th April when I go back for another appointment.
I have had a bit of interest in a new one for a while now as the conditions in my scrub block have just destroyed my current UTV, the floor is destroyed by sticks coming through and is very dangerous, rear CV drive shafts have been destroyed from tight turning and not having a true differential on the rear, radiator and oil cooler are vulnerable mud gets in everywhere and plants start growing, engine accessability is difficult without removing a lot of plastic. I decided to go for simplicity and toughness and the very basic 4x4 Mule fits the bill for me, it has flat steel floor pan, simple 400cc air cooled motor, true rear differential with straight through axles, mechanical operated diff locks front and rear and great access to the motor plus a great reputation for toughness. The only negative I found with it is that it has a carburetor not fuel injected but they assured me they were a trouble free engine, I think I can live with that.

Ken

There are some things that really earn their keep a the farm. Our Gator is one of them!

Been toying with the idea of getting either a gator, a mule, or a ranger…I've spent a good bit of time on a gator. I'm told the mules and the rangers are the best with the rangers being the easiest to work on. Got too much in the way of infrastructure projects going for this expenditure at the moment. Maybe some day…familiar with gators…don't know much about the other two.

I bought a new Crew Ranger last May, Daughter in Law was driving it and was swatting at a wasp and ran off the road into a tree. She wound up with 8 stitches in her upper lip and my Ranger was totaled. Have another one just like it on order now. I have the windshield, lights and speakers for it so might as well get another.

I went to Toowoomba last week for a doctors appointment, turned out to be an expensive appointment as I went browsing at side x sides. I placed an order for a Kawasaki Mule, I'll pick it up on the 13th April when I go back for another appointment.
I have had a bit of interest in a new one for a while now as the conditions in my scrub block have just destroyed my current UTV, the floor is destroyed by sticks coming through and is very dangerous, rear CV drive shafts have been destroyed from tight turning and not having a true differential on the rear, radiator and oil cooler are vulnerable mud gets in everywhere and plants start growing, engine accessability is difficult without removing a lot of plastic. I decided to go for simplicity and toughness and the very basic 4x4 Mule fits the bill for me, it has flat steel floor pan, simple 400cc air cooled motor, true rear differential with straight through axles, mechanical operated diff locks front and rear and great access to the motor plus a great reputation for toughness. The only negative I found with it is that it has a carburetor not fuel injected but they assured me they were a trouble free engine, I think I can live with that.

Ken
I sure hope your carbureted Mule works better than mine. It won't idle down so you can put it in gear without grinding, idle adjustment won't stay in one place, difficult to start, etc, etc. Been in the shop many, many times and I've replaced the carb twice. Good luck.

I sure hope your carbureted Mule works better than mine. It won't idle down so you can put it in gear without grinding, idle adjustment won't stay in one place, difficult to start, etc, etc. Been in the shop many, many times and I've replaced the carb twice. Good luck.
I'll let you know in time.
Ken

with the rangers being the easiest to work on.

Takes half the toolbox to work on the stupid things, the engines have metric fasteners, but the chassis is all standard. Also plenty of torx and allen mixed in.

Take the primary clutch off, polish up the slides and the journal where the main bushing rides. May also want to shim or replace the return spring. Will make a big difference.

Takes half the toolbox to work on the stupid things, the engines have metric fasteners, but the chassis is all standard. Also plenty of torx and allen mixed in.

Take the primary clutch off, polish up the slides and the journal where the main bushing rides. May also want to shim or replace the return spring. Will make a big difference.

I thought the same thing. I have never heard easy to work on and Polaris Ranger together.

Always needs work on is more like it. 😄

Guess that narrows it down to gator or mule.

I wanted to buy a sxs a few years ago, bought a 96 Geo tracker instead but then it was too nice to use like I wanted and we ended up using it to ride backroads and such in. I do use it around the farm but try not to abuse it or dent it up. I drive it to work some and Sunday cruising around. It came with a soft top and I wanted a removeable hard top so I bought another one with the removable hard top to put on my nice one, the frame is rusted out on it in the back so the shocks are nonexistent so I'm going to cut it down in the back and weld a frame to the good part and build a flatbed on the back. Then I'll have my sxs. I've got $5500 tied up in the 2 of them and they have heat and are street legal, will probably cost another $500 for me to build the flatbed on the one, maybe not that much depending on what all metal I have laying around that will work on it.

We have had one for about 10 years or so and it has been pretty reliable. I don't let the boy go "4 wheeling" in it but for all around ranch work pulling a light trailer, and doing basic chores it has been great

Latest posts