New disc mower

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Thinking about a new disc mower. 7 or 8ft. Our local dealer has Kubota and Vermeer.
Some friends have Kuhn. They like them.
Currently using a New Idea 5407 that has cut a lot of hay.
Whats good and bad as im looking?

Krone is good. I would get one that has some kind of shear to limit the damage that can happen. I know Krone has it and maybe NH, but not sure about any others.

Last edited:
It shows Krone is partnered with Kubota. Are they the same machine except for the name?
I think, not sure, but Kubota is a lot like a Vicon. The Kubota has three blades to each disc and will really cut good, but it does not look, at least to me, near as heavy built as a Krone. Vermeer's look heavy built, but not sure if it has any shear if it hit something. Both Vermeer and Kubota would be good from what I know as they may have a shear now.

Last edited:
A question I often ask to determine which can take more abuse or is better built:
What's the shipping weight?
If there's a significant difference it's often something harder to see like a heavier frame covered by the same tin.
Paint and color can trick the eye, but weights don't lie.

I read a couple decades ago that white was a favored color for auto makers, because it was a color that would trick the eye
and didn't easily show vehicle manufacturing errors such as trunks or hoods out of alignment. Whereas it would be very noticeable on a red vehicle because the eye can follow the seams better.

Last edited:
You talking a trailed model with conditioners or just straight 3 pt. style? I had a Kuhn 3pt. and as long as you didn't have to hook it up much it was hard to beat. Krone makes a good one also. I have a NH MoCo now and it is ok. Maintaining 8 pods is a bit of a pain but I see where having them separate has advantages. Probably would buy a Krone if I had it to do over.

Kuhn use to be like a NH as we had one. Don't know if they have changed, but you can do a lot of damage in a hurry on one. I think JD was like them at one time also as I know a couple that got locked up. I am not real familiar with the latest ones out though. I have talked with several people that have Krone and my son has used one a few times (wife's family have a couple). He said it worked good but didn't particularly like how it worked on 3-point and hooking up was no fun like all 3-point disc mowers. Claiborne coop is a Krone dealer as I priced one 2-3 years ago as they had a special running ($1500 off), before everything went crazy. At the time could have got a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
Lots of Krone around here, as the neighbor's Case IH dealership also carried Krone for many years. They're pretty good, don't know about the others.

We have a local Vermeer dealer near by so there is a good bit of Vermeer equipment being used. People seem to really like their mowers. I almost bought a Vermeer 3pt mower. When the dealership orders one for a customer they get 2 as they come packaged 2 to a crate. They wanted to sell it so the price was very good. Ended up with a used John Deere instead.

IIRC the Vermeer cutter bar uses a Sheer Ring under the turtle shells.

We have a local Vermeer dealer near by so there is a good bit of Vermeer equipment being used. People seem to really like their mowers. I almost bought a Vermeer 3pt mower. When the dealership orders one for a customer they get 2 as they come packaged 2 to a crate. They wanted to sell it so the price was very good. Ended up with a used John Deere instead.

IIRC the Vermeer cutter bar uses a Sheer Ring under the turtle shells.
The Q3 cutter bar has this (Trail Behind), but I could not find it on the 3-point cutter bar as it may have it. I will keep reading.

Last edited:
I looked at them all last year when our 616 NH finally wore out (17 yrs old). Really liked the krone but went back to NH..

Kuhn are very popular in SW MN. Kuhn also made JD mowers. Not sure if they still do. Older Kuhn 3-pt are a pain to hook up -- but I'm told the new ones have a redesigned storage support.

I'm on my second Vermeer. 1st one mowed many thousands of acres and lasted 16 years. Current one is about 4 years old. Tickled to death with it. The new ones have a quick hitch bar that's really nice. Makes hooking them up look almost fun. Almost.

I'm on my second Vermeer. 1st one mowed many thousands of acres and lasted 16 years. Current one is about 4 years old. Tickled to death with it. The new ones have a quick hitch bar that's really nice. Makes hooking them up look almost fun. Almost.
I looked at the Vermeer and the quick hitch. Sure makes it look easy.

I shouldn't admit this, but someone mentioned about shear hubs, etc. Mine is a 9'. Always mowed with a 90 pto hp tractor. I've hit way more rocks and stumps than I care to say. Never had any damage to a hub or gear. Only broken a couple knives. 30 seconds to replace, and back at it. 2 days after I bought my current one, dad decided to mow off a 5 strand barbwire fence, including 2 steel t posts. That took a while to get cleaned out, but only broke 1 knife. I feel like the shear hubs are more for people using big tractors at high speeds. Around here, you just don't have that.

I shouldn't admit this, but someone mentioned about shear hubs, etc. Mine is a 9'. Always mowed with a 90 pto hp tractor. I've hit way more rocks and stumps than I care to say. Never had any damage to a hub or gear. Only broken a couple knives. 30 seconds to replace, and back at it. 2 days after I bought my current one, dad decided to mow off a 5 strand barbwire fence, including 2 steel t posts. That took a while to get cleaned out, but only broke 1 knife. I feel like the shear hubs are more for people using big tractors at high speeds. Around here, you just don't have that.

I also think trailed mower conditioners are far more likely to incur severe damage, a lot more weight above the cutterbar, a 3pt mower is more apt to just hop over an obstruction.

I've broken many gears in our Vermeer MC840, no shear protection in it. And a couple shock hubs in our NH DB313.