Which breed of cattle will increase in popularity fastest

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh I agree that Gelbviehs will be around for the long haul; enough people like them and they bring enough to the table that they aren't going the way of Red Poll dairys; but the original question was which breed was going to gain popularity the fastest. To me Gelbviehs arrived on the scene in a big way and peaked in the early 90s (at least here in Alabama) and it looks like the numbers of Gelbviehs and Limousins floating around has declined since then, even as they have turned Black to ride Angus's coat tails. I don't have the registration numbers to back up that view; although that has little to do with the percentage in the commercial cow herd anyway. I just don't see their popularity suddenly starting to go way up; although they are gowthier than a Limo and don't throw the grey calves that a Charolais does..

Brandonm2":3ehg04wk said:
Oh I agree that Gelbviehs will be around for the long haul; enough people like them and they bring enough to the table that they aren't going the way of Red Poll dairys; but the original question was which breed was going to gain popularity the fastest. To me Gelbviehs arrived on the scene in a big way and peaked in the early 90s (at least here in Alabama) and it looks like the numbers of Gelbviehs and Limousins floating around has declined since then, even as they have turned Black to ride Angus's coat tails. I don't have the registration numbers to back up that view; although that has little to do with the percentage in the commercial cow herd anyway. I just don't see their popularity suddenly starting to go way up; although they are gowthier than a Limo and don't throw the grey calves that a Charolais does..

Question - why is almost everyone against the char x angus cross that throws smokies? This particular cross seems to do really well at market and make really nice replacements.

I think alot of people assosiate the smokies with the rat tails a few years ago smokies were hot items thats why i woundnt really want to predict any certain breed being hot in 10 to 20 years athough i said gelbvieh i was shooting from the hip .i have bra/simm f1s braherf f1 cows they are hot items in my opinion maybe just in my outfit. but they are a result of years of breeding :hat:

I'd say any breed with decent overall traits, that the owners/producers learn to promote.

Did that just make any sense? :oops:

tapeworm":16ad59bf said:
Thats okay just admit that if you want good cattle you have to get out of the south..everbody knows that. Maybe 1 of these days you guys will learn that raising humpty dumptys is a losing proposition...you might as well raise good calves

I'd rather be a dumbass southerner than a smartass yankee.
gabby

gabby":3jfy91zy said:
tapeworm Thats okay just admit that if you want good cattle you have to get out of the south..everbody knows that. Maybe 1 of these days you guys will learn that raising humpty dumptys is a losing proposition...you might as well raise good calves[/quote:3jfy91zy said:
Hey Tape,
Not everyone here in the South raises Brahman influenced cattle.Another thing is there are a lot of excellent Cattle here in the South. I think you're gonna find you've stepped on some boots with a statement like that. We're not a bunch of minor leaguer's like you may think...

Tapeworm,

Chill out "son" I just asked if you would like to have some more info on southern cattle that maybe you do not know about "son". If seems to me that you do not want to know more than what you hear at the local coffee shop. With the info you can tell me how much worse you think that any animal with Brahman influence is. You said you wanted proof from the last guy who said Brahman influence are making money and that is what I am trying to do. Yes, I grant you that it is not a pen of 500 that I can so but, I can so you what I have. Still the offer is on the table "son"!

Sincerely,

Matt Schiel

tapeworm":3vb50juw said:
Matt Schiel":3vb50juw said:
To Tapeworm & La4Angus,

If you would like to see some of the closeouts from the last Ranch to Rail test I will be happy to fax you results of what Brahman influenced steers can do in a feed yard. One of the highest net return steers was a Simbrah X Angus steer. Now I know you will say it was the Angus in him but he still had some Brahman blood in him. Just send me a PM with your fax number or I could get them scanned and e-mail them to you, what ever you like.

Thanks,

Matt
LOL Son I dont talk for LaAngus but I can speak for me..I dont have any use in seeing the closeouts from your 2 horse trailer loads of cattle. Your right that Angus cattle can help cover up a lot of junky influence tho. 1 steer that had a good net could be nothing but a fluke...or a steer that was just bought right..1 steer means nothing to me son...accidents happen all the time. If you really thiik your going to impress somebody with that your talking to the wrong man anywhow...you need to be talking to the cattle procurement guys at the big 50 to 100,000 head feedlots that dont know eared cattle are such a good deal for them an their customers. LOL There the dumbies that need your help since they dont know what there doing

I know you gusy in the south think you need some ear in your cows...i understand that..but you need to own up to the fact that you give up quality when you do that....eitehr feeding quality or carcass quality...even eating quality. You might make up for it in the net returns because your cowherd does better tho. Thats okay just admit that if you want good cattle you have to get out of the south..everbody knows that. Maybe 1 of these days you guys will learn that raising humpty dumptys is a losing proposition...you might as well raise good calves

I'm a newbie here but I'll way in on this one. As to the original question, my best prediction (no better than anyone else's) is that it will be a British breed, most likely Red Angus possibly a comeback by Hereford or Shorthorn. If you look at registration numbers from the associations no breed grew more steadily, percentage wise, from 1980-2000 than Red Angus. Limousin grew rapidly but seems to have peaked in the mid 90's. Hereford lost the most and Shorthorns stayed flat in growth as did Angus (black). Probably see more composites such as Lim-flex or Balancers but I believe British percentages will increase in those composites to balance yield and quality grades.

Tapeworm, I think you have the right name and that worm has moved to your brain.... Come on down south and we will give you a good worming, who knows we might keep you from becoming a doggy!

All I can say is that I know a man that went out and bought a bunch of "high dollar" angus put them out in the pasture next to the main highway, which had more than enough grass in it, so that everyone that passed by could see his "herd". Well like I said there was plenty of grass but not many trees and those good ole angus just about died in the Texas heat. He ended up moving them to a more wooded place and I have not heard him talk about them for some time now. Maybe he sold them not sure but he did move his bra x cows back out on to the wide open treeless coastal patch and they never missed a beat. I guess you might loose something with some brahman influence but what you gain more than makes up for it. It always goes back to what works for you and your situation.

Hey Tapeworm!
Where do you raise cattle and what breeds do run on your place? (Fitting avatar BTW) ;-) You've got a heckuva lot of nerve to put down a whole region of the US and make such bold statements criticizing our cattle. Maybe you need to hold an on-line seminar teaching us poor, ignorant Southern hillbillies how to raise the superior type cattle found on your place. I'm sure you're just a wellspring of great knowledge and have travelled all over the glorious Southland evaluating cattle herds from Virginia to Texas. I marvel at your intellect Professor Tapeworm and maybe someday all the Southern cattleman will raise cattle as well as you do.

J. T.":b0g7itas said:
Hey Tapeworm!
Where do you raise cattle and what breeds do run on your place? (Fitting avatar BTW) ;-) You've got a heckuva lot of nerve to put down a whole region of the US and make such bold statements criticizing our cattle. Maybe you need to hold an on-line seminar teaching us poor, ignorant Southern hillbillies how to raise the superior type cattle found on your place. I'm sure you're just a wellspring of great knowledge and have travelled all over the glorious Southland evaluating cattle herds from Virginia to Texas. I marvel at your intellect Professor Tapeworm and maybe someday all the Southern cattleman will raise cattle as well as you do.
Well said J.T.

LOL all this attention is making me blush. Lots of you get all uptight about me talking about your low quality southern calves..you even want to call names and everthing....one of you called me a smartass yankee even?? Is there any other kind of yankee?? LOL Thats okay {not the yankee part} but its not just me that thinks that about your calves...the guys that end up with your cattle knows it to....feedlot managers and the likes...guys that know what there talking about

Im not saying its all of you...I know theres some of you want to improve quality and work hard at it...but you can do more....you all need to get your neighbors to do it to. I bet if your honest most of you will admit to knowing someboyd that raises junk....right?? Get with em and get load lots of uniform calves together using the same bulls..single sire sets of bulls...get some consistancy in phenotype...in genetics....in health....in age.... in size. Just do something better...push your neighboprs. Consistancy is what works...consitancy and predictability....you dont have a lot of that now. Feedlots and stocker guys need enough predictable consistant cattle to feed together so they can give the packer something predicable and consistatn to...300 to 500 head pens of uniform cattle is whats most efficent to feed. Its getting better than it was 10 years ago but its still hard to even put together a 100 head load of southern or southeastern calves that have any nuniformity in breeding or health. You guys have got to start thinking of the next guy in line that gets your cattle...not just dumping em at the auction

I bet its real easy to find stuff to back me up...to show its not jsut me that knows that...you guys could find it if you really cared

If the next guy in the chain does not like the sorry cattle don't buy em! When sorry calves go straight to burger MAYBE people will start buying a decent bull instead of holding back a calf or buying the cheapest bull at the stockyard; but time after time I see sorry calves go for $10-15 a hundred weight less than really good calves. That MIGHT influence some people but a lot of people will make the argument that why pay $1100 a head for 20 good heifers and then buy a $2000 bull and have $24000 invested in a herd, when they can go to the yard and buy 20 $500 heifers put a $900 bull with them and only have $10,900 invested in a herd. Granted I can probably sit down with a calculator and show how those good calves will eventually pay for themselves; but a lot of people don't and won't ever see it that way. The feedlots can whine about the light muscled floppy eared mongrelized pens all they want to; BUT the ONLY reason those cattle are IN that pen is that the feedlot CHOSE to buy them instead of pay another 5 cents a pound to get a load of quality calves.

Latest posts