Which breed of cattle will increase in popularity fastest

Help Support CattleToday:

To Tapeworm & La4Angus,

If you would like to see some of the closeouts from the last Ranch to Rail test I will be happy to fax you results of what Brahman influenced steers can do in a feed yard. One of the highest net return steers was a Simbrah X Angus steer. Now I know you will say it was the Angus in him but he still had some Brahman blood in him. Just send me a PM with your fax number or I could get them scanned and e-mail them to you, what ever you like.

Thanks,

Matt

J&T Farm":35i21h9l said:
Yeah really. The buyers frown when Dumbo comes flopping thru the ring around here.

Man ain't that the truth.....I started with Beefmaster prs bred back a couple yrs ago....good looking cows raising good looking fat & healthy [/b]but red calves...looked just as good as the black ones to me and everyone else at the salebarn.....but they brought .10-.15 less than solid blacks. After 2 sales, I sold the cows and got me some angus cows and joined the angus bandwagon. I always wonder now what kind of calves my blk angus bull would produce with them beefmaster mamas.

eric":254rjzhw said:
I always wonder now what kind of calves my blk angus bull would produce with them beefmaster mamas.

they would have topped the sale.

its a type of simmental. i really cant say much about them since i dont know but they tend to be the yellowish-orange ones with white spots that you see and a white face. they may be more dairyish but i dont know if thats correct or not. less popular because of the color patterns i think.

msscamp":34tqjzdk said:
thank you! What is a Fleckvieh?

German Simmentals (notice the similarity to "Gelbvieh") that have gone through a scientific improvement process. They are supposedly a beefier Simmie. Fleckviehs (as a group) are less dairy, thicker, heavier muscled, heavier boned, deeper ribbed, etc than the more feminine French Simmentals. On the negative side some of these in the 80s were verifiable "cow killers" with a nasty combination of heavy birth weight, heavy muscling, heavy bone, and often a big square head.

eric":1k1w729n said:
J&T Farm":1k1w729n said:
Yeah really. The buyers frown when Dumbo comes flopping thru the ring around here.

Man ain't that the truth.....I started with Beefmaster prs bred back a couple yrs ago....good looking cows raising good looking fat & healthy [/b]but red calves...looked just as good as the black ones to me and everyone else at the salebarn.....but they brought .10-.15 less than solid blacks. After 2 sales, I sold the cows and got me some angus cows and joined the angus bandwagon. I always wonder now what kind of calves my blk angus bull would produce with them beefmaster mamas.

Its not the red part that hurts you down here, its the ears.

Matt Schiel":3vt3n702 said:
To Tapeworm & La4Angus,

If you would like to see some of the closeouts from the last Ranch to Rail test I will be happy to fax you results of what Brahman influenced steers can do in a feed yard. One of the highest net return steers was a Simbrah X Angus steer. Now I know you will say it was the Angus in him but he still had some Brahman blood in him. Just send me a PM with your fax number or I could get them scanned and e-mail them to you, what ever you like.

Thanks,

Matt
LOL Son I dont talk for LaAngus but I can speak for me..I dont have any use in seeing the closeouts from your 2 horse trailer loads of cattle. Your right that Angus cattle can help cover up a lot of junky influence tho. 1 steer that had a good net could be nothing but a fluke...or a steer that was just bought right..1 steer means nothing to me son...accidents happen all the time. If you really thiik your going to impress somebody with that your talking to the wrong man anywhow...you need to be talking to the cattle procurement guys at the big 50 to 100,000 head feedlots that dont know eared cattle are such a good deal for them an their customers. LOL There the dumbies that need your help since they dont know what there doing

I know you gusy in the south think you need some ear in your cows...i understand that..but you need to own up to the fact that you give up quality when you do that....eitehr feeding quality or carcass quality...even eating quality. You might make up for it in the net returns because your cowherd does better tho. Thats okay just admit that if you want good cattle you have to get out of the south..everbody knows that. Maybe 1 of these days you guys will learn that raising humpty dumptys is a losing proposition...you might as well raise good calves

Maybe it is just where I am; but it looks to me like Gelbviehs are decreasing in popularity. We had a really nice Gelbvieh breeder (90 cows) who turned commercial here. If you look at the bull studs websites....Genex is only marketing three Gelbviehs and they have 87 Angus, 36 Red Angus, 12 Herefords, and 45 Simmentals. Select Sires has 40 Angus, 12 Red Angus, 6 Herefords and NO Gelbviehs (though I am sure your rep can get you red or Black Gelbviehs). ABS has 15 Gelbviehs and 100+ Angus, 30 Red Angus, and 12 Herefords. Bovine Elite has 100 plus Angus, 45 Red Angus, 22 Herefords, and no Gelbviehs in it's 25 breed lineup that includes Braford, Romagnola, Senepol, and 26 Red Branguses. Topsires.com is selling 123 Three way cross bulls but no straight Gelbviehs anymore. Maybe Gelbvieh has somebody like Reed Enterprises (in Herefords) who has a huge share of the between breeder business that I don't know about; but just from what I see and read it looks like Gelbvieh popularity is decreasing. Of course now that the Gelbvieh cross calves and cows look like Angus cross cows and calves I probably see a lot more Gelbviehs than I think I do; but again...it looks like Charolais and Simmental have firmly established themselves as the two big dogs amoung the Continental breeds.

Just not to sound like im taking up for brax cow [which i am] aside from them having heat tolarance they have excellant hybred vigor. and a third cross like angus on a simbrah cow will only add to the off spring .it dont suprise me that the calf would outperform a strait angus but i like angus too. come down here and spend a few summers and you will see why we like brax when you see those muddy angus standing in a pond all day are under trees while the brax is out grazing. :hat: oh by the way i aint moving out of the south for no damn reason.we can raise as good here as anywhere ;-)

Brandonm2":1ikjaic7 said:
Maybe it is just where I am; but it looks to me like Gelbviehs are decreasing in popularity. We had a really nice Gelbvieh breeder (90 cows) who turned commercial here. If you look at the bull studs websites....Genex is only marketing three Gelbviehs and they have 87 Angus, 36 Red Angus, 12 Herefords, and 45 Simmentals. Select Sires has 40 Angus, 12 Red Angus, 6 Herefords and NO Gelbviehs (though I am sure your rep can get you red or Black Gelbviehs). ABS has 15 Gelbviehs and 100+ Angus, 30 Red Angus, and 12 Herefords. Bovine Elite has 100 plus Angus, 45 Red Angus, 22 Herefords, and no Gelbviehs in it's 25 breed lineup that includes Braford, Romagnola, Senepol, and 26 Red Branguses. Topsires.com is selling 123 Three way cross bulls but no straight Gelbviehs anymore. Maybe Gelbvieh has somebody like Reed Enterprises (in Herefords) who has a huge share of the between breeder business that I don't know about; but just from what I see and read it looks like Gelbvieh popularity is decreasing. Of course now that the Gelbvieh cross calves and cows look like Angus cross cows and calves I probably see a lot more Gelbviehs than I think I do; but again...it looks like Charolais and Simmental have firmly established themselves as the two big dogs amoung the Continental breeds.
Its not been but a couple or so years here that simmentals were taking a hit at the market. any relatively new breed like gelbvieh will have a slow start thats why i think there not a fad i think they will be around for the long haul maybe not in true form but in a composite. but by the same token im not gonna sink any money in them the cattle industry is too unpredictable but im not a gelbvieh spokesperson just my opinion :hat:

Latest posts