Which breed of cattle will increase in popularity fastest

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter":138yfu4r said:
Hmmm. you might want to check up on that. Many half or 3/4 bloods will sale just as high as anything else. Also it doesnt say earred cattle on the package, just USDA. I will stand behind my statement of the packers love em.
Southern packers may love them but the mid western packers prefer Angus and AngusXHereford cattle. They definitely grade better and are easier to sell to the markets that are looking for quality.

The jersey will become very popular with a push towards grass dairies and organic milk. The Red Angus will become more popular for beef for those who like the color red. The red angus association has a good marketing agenda for the yellow tag calves.

la4angus":3nexoc1c said:
bubchub":3nexoc1c said:
I know that I will be probably be criticized for this answer but I think that it will be Lim Flex (angusxlimousin). I have heard rumors from breeders that it is the hottest beef right now and getting hotter. Instead of the meat being so marbled throughout it has specks of fat.
What kind of breeders are you hearing these rumors from.

I heard it from men that raised limousins and they weren't trying to sell to me either. They said that many steakhouses are using the beef. I will have to say our highest selling calf in the last year was limoxangus. (angus bull, limo cow) We have now purchased a registerd black limousin bull to put on angus x heifers.

never once have I ever ever seen eared cattle outsell non-eared cattle. not even in the southern sales I've watched on the net, grant it Im sure it happens...

Jake":111t3law said:
never once have I ever ever seen eared cattle outsell non-eared cattle. not even in the southern sales I've watched on the net, grant it Im sure it happens...
There is some areas of the south that light wt eared calves will outsell okie 1's. But they have to be the light roping kind of calves.

Well I dont know if much of anything will surpass the Angus breed for the time being. They just have pretty much everything going their way. The Angus industry has done an excellent job promoting their product and certainly have the numbers to back it up. As for the future who knows. Hereford bulls have been making a huge comeback in our area. Most producers have black cattle and are having a hard time buying affordable high quality Angus bulls. Therefore they are going to the Hereford sale and picking up the same caliber of bull with different colored clothes on for significantly less. The Ridgefield Farms Premium Hereford plant in South Dakota has helped the interest also.

This is just my 2 cents and im new. But what about Beefmaster's? The have a % of Brahma. That makes them better in the heat.( for southern states) the heat dont bother them as much. They are good mommas also. I think they are pretty to look at too. but that is just a thought.
Kimmie

I don't think any of the dairy breeds will take off. Dairy farmers seem to have a hard enough time sustaining their farms and the government has no plans to fund them either.

I personally would say the murray grey would become more popular. In South Australia where i am they are very good cattle and i don't understand why more people don't have them in they're mixed herds.

As I was sitting here reading this, I've seeen a lot of good answers. But the truth is this black hided cattle are hot. The feedlots pay top dollar for them. All breeds are great some better than others. Beefmaster are getting hot and they are a great breed, they can take the heat and raise a good calf. I'll be into reg beefmasters this spring. Scott

My husband would like to get into the beefmasters also. But i dont have the room for as many as he likes. maybe one day. I sure do like the way the look.
kimmie

i know that beefmasters are high.ive been looking at cattle.as wellas pricing them.an tthe man im talking to get $2000 to $2500 for bred heifers.but the heifers are bred well.got a nice bloodline to them. scott

I will have to agree with Jake. I think the Beefmaster's is a great breed for the south. with our heat they do very good in.
kimmie

Here's what I'm going to say.

South- Beefmaster majority with a minority of angus or charolais breeders to offer a crossbreeding option.

Everywhere North- Angus nondiscriminatory Black or Red. Herefords and Simmies around for crossbreeding.

Quality and functionality will be what counts. These are the breeds that offer that in my mind.

my husband grew up on a small 500 head of Herefords. His grandpa says they are the best.. but i still like the way beefmasters look. lol I have to have something pretty to look at if im feeding it daily and petting it lol
kimmie

Limousin= The best ratio of Feed to Trimmed retail product.

Angus= On average the best quality meat.

Crowderfarms":12e5eui3 said:
LimiMan":12e5eui3 said:
Limousin= The best ratio of Feed to Trimmed retail product.

Angus= On average the best quality meat.
A storm is Fixin to hit.

Batten down the hatches and grab onto something! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts