Which breed of cattle will increase in popularity fastest

Help Support CattleToday:

Holstien is still pretty common and will always be as long as we have "got milk?"

Alan":vmo5vrg8 said:
Holstien is still pretty common and will always be as long as we have "got milk?"
So what are you saying. Will you please explain in more detail how this relates to the topic.

la4angus":1gm4ume1 said:
So what are you saying. Will you please explain in more detail how this relates to the topic.

The topic was breeds of cattle, no specification of strictly beef.

dun

dun":3n9x8i0d said:
la4angus":3n9x8i0d said:

The topic was breeds of cattle, no specification of strictly beef.

dun
Where was strictly beef breeds of cattle specified..

That's the point, it wasn't. That's the reason Holsteins will still be a hot breed into the future and the comment concerning them was appropriate.

dun

dun":gcdsmmrf said:
That's the point, it wasn't. That's the reason Holsteins will still be a hot breed into the future and the comment concerning them was appropriate.

dun
Holsteins will increase in popularity fastest, eh.. You better do some more studying, dunitall.

My guess it'll be a breed made up in a test tube.. genetically modified for meat & marbling.. weight gain.. then a touch of "no desease & healthy" DNA.. you'll be able to choose the color, hair length of your choice for the climate you raise them in.

I think that Shorthorns could be the breed of the future. Now that you can get almost every breed in black or red, the distinctive Shorthorn markings will be something that can be depended on to guarantee a British animal that marbles well. JMHO.

Cattle Rack Rancher":28y6y8db said:
I think that Shorthorns could be the breed of the future. Now that you can get almost every breed in black or red, the distinctive Shorthorn markings will be something that can be depended on to guarantee a British animal that marbles well. JMHO.

only problem with shorthorns is that they have gone so far into a show breed that they often times they serve little purpose as a beef animal. They have bred so many of the good traits out of them seeking the "show quality" traits that there aren't many good ones left out there.

You Angus guys! I just threw a line out since beef breeds weren't specified...LA I can always count on you to bite! It was a joke, just to stir the pot. It will be tough to knock Angus out of the top slot, they have the numbers now and a great marketing plan. Thanks for the fun.

Alan

kensfarm - interesting - somewhat like the book 1984 - and perhaps not to far off the mark.

Alan - I did a quick search and at least in the province of Ontario you might not be too far of the mark.

Popular - can mean " liked" or can be another term for "common".

According to July 1, 2003 survey by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food the following numbers can be found.

Ontario - total dairy - approximately 600,000 head - nearly all Holstein.

Total beef - all breeds - 1,638,000

Total all breeds - 2,238,000

So in this part of the world, Holsteins make up 25% of the total cattle population.

What we all tend to forget at times, is there is a very large Holstein slaughter segment of the industry that goes on around the clock. When we go to many of those restaurants out there, we are eating burger from dairy cows. The steaks we get in many places may be USDA or Canuck inspected. But unless they advertise a specific breed of steak - what are we truly getting? Not many veal steaks come from beef cattle. For that matter, do any?

Now this is just one little part of the world, but there are some pretty huge operations out there that raise nothing but dairy animals for meat. Washington State has a few and I bet those who are more in the know than me can find a lot more of them.

Every time one of those 1,000 plus head dairy operations has a new cow on the milk line - well, she has produced a new calf - and at least half are boys. They gotta' go somewhere. And I would willing bet less than half of the girls end up on the milk line as well.

Those folks get a double bang for their buck - milk AND meat.

Someone is eating them. I wonder what the growth rate is of these dairy herds on a national basis?

Not my cup of tea, but reality just the same.

Regards,

Bez

only problem with shorthorns is that they have gone so far into a show breed that they often times they serve little purpose as a beef animal. They have bred so many of the good traits out of them seeking the "show quality" traits that there aren't many good ones left out there.

There may be alot of show genetics but the old style shorthorn genetics are still available. I've got a couple of those really good utility type Shorthorns in my herd. They eat very little and raise good calves every year.

Jake":1gvhenrn said:
Cattle Rack Rancher":1gvhenrn said:

I agree, whenever I think of shorthorns I automatically think Club calves, the same for Maine Anjou

Holsteins will gain very well, they just don't do it very efficiently, and they never look finished IMO. The meat is actually surprisingly good.

We finish holsteins. They take 1-2 months longer. Ours look finished when they go. And they do taste delicious.

Earred cattle will make money, why, because they are purchased for less. They do well in grazing, in a stocker operation and also in the feedlot. The spread on select to choice is very small at this time, so they really will make money now. It all comes down to them being purchased at a very low price, compared to english or cont...cattle, stockers and packers love em

houstoncutter":2h0gog19 said:
Earred cattle will make money, why, because they are purchased for less. They do well in grazing, in a stocker operation and also in the feedlot. The spread on select to choice is very small at this time, so they really will make money now. It all comes down to them being purchased at a very low price, compared to english or cont...cattle, stockers and packers love em

well they are both bought and SOLD at a lower price...

Hmmm. you might want to check up on that. Many half or 3/4 bloods will sale just as high as anything else. Also it doesnt say earred cattle on the package, just USDA. I will stand behind my statement of the packers love em.

Latest posts