Wheres the beef

Help Support CattleToday:

That is not good. Beef producers are going to bear the burden of the tariff wars. I hope The Don has an exit strategy. He seems to be spending too much time on Tweeting or whatever it is.

What the story doesn't focus much on, is that we have had a big cold storage meat surplus for years now, well before the tariff thing began.

Screen-Shot-2018-07-23-at-10.43.42-AM.png

Americans eat about 50 billion lbs of meat per year. Chicken, beef, turkey, pork, & lamb. divided by 365 (days) that is about 13.7 million lbs per day consumed.
2 billion (lbs in cold storage) divided by 13.7 million lbs consumed each day means we as a nation, only have 146 days worth of meat in cold storage.

Add in what we export, and that frozen storage total will dwindle quickly.

sim.-ang.king":1qn71gbl said:
Still no tariffs on Brazilian or Aussy meat. You check off dollars at work.

Last fall I saw some checkoff dollars at work at the Expo. They had some posters and things in the cattle area. Sortof like putting Bibles in a church I know but at least I saw where some of the money went. Wonder if we gave them $20/head if maybe they'd use it to advertise at places other than cattle shows. Maybe I'm just dreaming. Probably dreaming.

sim.-ang.king":efmvah40 said:
Still no tariffs on Brazilian or Aussy meat. You check off dollars at work.

Last fall I saw some checkoff dollars at work at the Expo. They had some posters and things in the cattle area. Sortof like putting Bibles in a church I know but at least I saw where some of the money went. Wonder if we gave them $20/head if maybe they'd use it to advertise at places other than cattle shows. Maybe I'm just dreaming. Probably dreaming.

With wages adjusted for inflation having dropped for the third quarter in a row, What do you think the consumer will buy at the grocery store ? The cheapest. And it will only get worse as interest rates and fuel prices rise.

Bright Raven":35enf4uu said:
That is not good. Beef producers are going to bear the burden of the tariff wars. I hope The Don has an exit strategy. He seems to be spending too much time on Tweeting or whatever it is.
Exit strategy is putting farmers on welfare, but that won't apply to anybody on CattleToday because it's well documented how CattleToday people don't take handouts.

greybeard":s3ybyeif said:
Americans eat about 50 billion lbs of meat per year. Chicken, beef, turkey, pork, & lamb. divided by 365 (days) that is about 13.7 million lbs per day consumed.
2 billion (lbs in cold storage) divided by 13.7 million lbs consumed each day means we as a nation, only have 146 days worth of meat in cold storage.

Add in what we export, and that frozen storage total will dwindle quickly.

I understand your point entirely. But if I'm reading the graph right there is closer to 6.5 billion pounds in cold storage.
(2.5 turkey, 2 beef, 1.25 pork, .75 chicken)
Which would last closer to 17-18 months at the consumption rate you utilized.

I may be misunderstanding the graph. And FWIW, I think we should maintain at least that much in cold storage if possible.

ga.prime":12b908zm said:
Bright Raven":12b908zm said:
Exit strategy is putting farmers on welfare, but that won't apply to anybody on CattleToday because it's well documented how CattleToday people don't take handouts.

That tops the charts. :lol:

snoopdog":2ljx59bt said:
With wages adjusted for inflation having dropped for the third quarter in a row, What do you think the consumer will buy at the grocery store ? The cheapest. And it will only get worse as interest rates and fuel prices rise.

That strategy has never changed for the American consumer on food.
Americans will borrow a dollar to play and eat Ramen noodles.

ga.prime":3q69gpoy said:
Bright Raven":3q69gpoy said:

I must be confused. I thought the general consensus was that it isn't a handout if you are on the receiving end.

snoopdog":ysnfp4n9 said:

Low income earners are already eating hotdogs and ramen noodles. I see whole families parked outside service stations eating hotdogs that have made more orbits on a spit than the earth has in 5 1/2 billion years. Inflation has been eating out lunch for the last 40 years. Can it get worse. Yep!

Jogeephus":wskpgnv6 said:
ga.prime":wskpgnv6 said:
Bright Raven":wskpgnv6 said:

I must be confused. I thought the general consensus was that it isn't a handout if you are on the receiving end.

Yes. Joe. The correct term is not a handout but a handin.

As someone on here said - only the big producers are taking the "handins" so I guess the only one here on the dole is CG8.

Bright Raven":3eiklppc said:
snoopdog":3eiklppc said:

Low income earners are already eating hotdogs and ramen noodles. I see whole families parked outside service stations eating hotdogs that have made more orbits on a spit than the earth has in 5 1/2 billion years. Inflation has been eating out lunch for the last 40 years. Can it get worse. Yep!
Hasn't much to do with low income earners , it has to do with the average family , the working poor are the biggest market , and when they have to make a decision on what to eat for dinner , and the bills are looming , it will be chicken or pork.

Latest posts