Where did the Cowbirds go?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the cowbirds are gone. This is armyworm season here and I usually use the birds to let me know where the worms are. Also, if you crank up a mower they will normally fly in by the droves looking for the easy meal. I was on the mower all day today and didn't see the first one. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any in a month. Anyone else notice this?

Sorry Mr Jo, i borrowed them for a couple of weeks. been doing my first cutting finally.

They are here. Been following my mower. Should be finished baling shortly, then you can have them back. :D :D

Well, if you don't mind, please tell them I need them to get back down here to work worm patrol. Yesterday I saw a bunch of turkeys filling in for them but they just don't seem to have the knack. :lol:

Looks like Beefy borrowed them for awhile. I will head them back south shortly as I'm within a week or so of starting my first cutting.

You mean Egrets? I have seen them around but not as numerous as I normally do.

They are down in the Trinity River bottoms in Central Texas. Past by there the other day - not a cow in sight, but the ground was nearly white with happy birds.

Victoria":lr2ni0dg said:
Guess they decided to become Canadian, we have lots. :lol:

Well they must be smart birds! :lol:

Are you guys talking about brown headed cowbirds or the Egret type??

We have a ton of those, but no cattle egrets like we did in FL.

Katy

Isn't that weird? I was wondering that very same thing less than a week ago. I was thinking maybe the drought had chased them off ~ I'm sure the worms here are a long way down!

Canadian_Cowgirl":1om5sh8b said:
Victoria":1om5sh8b said:

Katy

We are talking cow birds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

flaboy?":23a5hib3 said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":23a5hib3 said:
Victoria":23a5hib3 said:

Katy

We are talking cow birds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your no help.....

Katy

flaboy?":3029hgj6 said:
Looks like Beefy borrowed them for awhile. I will head them back south shortly as I'm within a week or so of starting my first cutting.

Flaboy? i'll see if they can pencil you in.

Talked to a friend in Lakeland Georgia today. They were cutting hay the last few days and said they were everywhere. Undoubtedly, the birds moved off to areas where there were ponds with water in them. Just a guess. Baled and fluffed all day and still no birds.

JO, I saw several over the past couple of days. In fact, I had some in my side pasture and all over the front yard. Maybe it had been too damp around here nd now that it's drying out they are back. More likely, people all around cutting hay. I have a mouse in the house, too, and that's a sure sign someone close is cutting hay.

I plan to start cutting hay Thursday of this week (first and last cutting) so I am sure I will draw them down here.

The cow birds laid their eggs in other birds nests and high tailed it months ago. They look like black birds to me although they are said to be "brown".

Now if ya'll are talking egrets, there are literally hundreds of those big white critters in my pasture right now. I go by with a load of hay and they fly to the other side of the fields. I have never seen flocks so large.

backhoeboogie":e0jlh2qh said:
The cow birds laid their eggs in other birds nests and high tailed it months ago. They look like black birds to me although they are said to be "brown".

It's only their heads that are brown. Saw a chipping sparrow (about 2/3 the size of a house sparrow) feeding a baby that was the size of a Robin. I relieved it of those dutys.

Good shot, dun. I get a bunch of those brown heads around my hay rings in late Spring. Shoot one, the rest disappear. Hard to make a dent in them.