Where would you go?

Help Support CattleToday:

Not a big beach fan, but Homer Alaska is a lot more interesting than the Gulf. Could charter fish for a day and sightsee for a couple more.

If you don't mind some driving - - northern Arizona and southern Utah are full of parks with red rocks. Quiet this time of year. BYOB. Cheapest approach is to fly into Vegas and get a car with unlimited miles.

If you do that area go to Lambert's in Foley. You will thank me. We haven't been there for 20 years, but there was a place called Billy's seafood where you could buy shrimp just off the trawler. Of course you would have to be in a place where you can cook. I said a prayer for you
I've been to both the Missouri Lambert's. Make sure to get there early!

Not a big beach fan, but Homer Alaska is a lot more interesting than the Gulf. Could charter fish for a day and sightsee for a couple more.

If you don't mind some driving - - northern Arizona and southern Utah are full of parks with red rocks. Quiet this time of year. BYOB. Cheapest approach is to fly into Vegas and get a car with unlimited miles.
I'm a big fan of SE Alaska!! Drove to Ketchikan when I was 14 and got a prevailing wage job painting! Love it up there.

Never been clam digging but it seems like you went from sitting on a bench drinking beer not doing nothing to digging in the mud like a coon.... 😉
I know, you have to take advantage of the limited clam openings. Great Grammy is a full-blooded native and I'm just a hunter gatherer at heart. I'll still be drinking beer!

Never been clam digging but it seems like you went from sitting on a bench drinking beer not doing nothing to digging in the mud like a coon.... 😉
I looked at those pictures and thought "not my idea of fun, walking thru a mud flat digging in the smelly sludge for clams".

Decades ago I and a couple of friends anchored a skiff off the shore of Trinity Bay one evening and the next morning it was grounded way out on the flats because the tide went out and we had to trudge out there to pull it back to water. Not enjoyable one bit.
(I spend enough time in the mud as it is)

I looked at those pictures and thought "not my idea of fun, walking thru a mud flat digging in the smelly sludge for clams".

Decades ago I and a couple of friends anchored a skiff off the shore of Trinity Bay one evening and the next morning it was grounded way out on the flats because the tide went out and we had to trudge out there to pull it back to water. Not enjoyable one bit.
(I spend enough time in the mud as it is)
Hahaha it's beautiful clean sand. There's some foam whipped up by the wind but absolutely no mud for miles. Razor clams are a PNW delicacy.

I'm a big fan of SE Alaska!! Drove to Ketchikan when I was 14 and got a prevailing wage job painting! Love it up there.
Amazing place. Took the kids there for spring break one March. No swimsuits. No crowds on the peninsula...

Went back to try river fishing for a week. Crowded in places and a lot of buses full of cotton tops. Samon were not really running, so we had to live on Halibut.

Some Alaskan employers recruit out of MN. Have a cousin who works on the north slope. Had some interesting conversations with him, on hot Alaska topics like fly in bear hunting, meeting winter women, and the best nationality for mail order brides.

Last edited:
Hahaha it's beautiful clean sand. There's some foam whipped up by the wind but absolutely no mud for miles. Razor clams are a PNW delicacy.
Those mud comments are sure different than reality. Miles of beautiful sand beaches. One of the undiscovered treasures in this country. Makes me jealous sitting here 400 miles away. I do love razor clams and digging them. Beach is pretty empty this morning for a Saturday.
I cut timber in SE Alaska '76 to '81. I have a real good friend who lives in Wrangell. I get up there every chance that I get.

Those mud comments are sure different than reality. Miles of beautiful sand beaches. One of the undiscovered treasures in this country. Makes me jealous sitting here 400 miles away. I do love razor clams and digging them. Beach is pretty empty this morning for a Saturday.
I cut timber in SE Alaska '76 to '81. I have a real good friend who lives in Wrangell. I get up there every chance that I get.
It's a picture from a couple years ago.

Had some interesting conversations with him, on hot Alaska topics like fly in bear hunting, meeting winter women, and the best nationality for mail order brides.
From what I've heard, becoming a mail order bride is a big thing among Ukrainian women..
Had some interesting conversations with him, on hot Alaska topics like fly in bear hunting, meeting winter women, and the best nationality for mail order brides.

Evidently........but ya may have to pick them up in Poland now.

ukrmailorder.jpg

here's one now..
hagstrawberriesadopt.jpg

Might be tough to get her into the country unless she's coming from the southern border!!

I do love my friends Russian accent though.

"Sorry girlfriend, Tatiana is way more fun to say than Tanya " hahaha