Where would you go?

Help Support CattleToday:

Anywhere from Gulf Shores Al to Cedar Key FL!
St George Island aint bad, its right in the middle.
Most of that is the RedNeck Rivieria , but I fit in better there. Red Necks, White socks, Blue Ribbon Beer, or in my case LongNecks!!!

Lyrics

There's no place that I'd rather be than right here
With my red necks, white socks and blue ribbon beer
The bar-maid is mad 'cause some guy made a pass
The juke box is play-in' there stands the glass
And the cigarette smoke kind-a hangs in the air
Rednecks, white socks and blue ribbon beer
A cowboy is cursin' the pinball machine
A drunk at the bar is get-tin' noisy and mean
And, some guy on the phone says ill be home soon dear
Red-necks white socks and blue ribbon beer
No we don't fit in with that white collar crowd
We're a little too rowdy and a little too loud
With my red-necks white socks and blue ribbon beer
The semis are passing on the highway outside
The four thirty crowd is about to arrive
The sun's go-in' down and we'll all soon be here
Red-necks, white socks and blue ribbon beer
With my red-necks, white socks and blue ribbon beer

Last edited:
And still be prepared to get a whole different kinda stuck
btdt..well, my wife did before I could tell her to stay on the wet sand..... and no, 4wd didn't help.

I would not recommend Bolivar or Galveston. Lots to do and see in Galveston but too touristy, traffic sucks, you would probably have to drive thru Houston to get there and the beach ain't all that anyway..

We spent a 3 day weekend on the beach (in a tent) at Port Aransas. The fishing was good but other than that, can't say much about it.

Wife and I REALLY enjoyed Corpus for 5 days but that was 5 years ago and before the hurricane. Padre is right there and very nice. We did the horseback thing on the beach one night and I really liked it..wife not so much but she's not a horse type. Plenty to see in Corpus, including USS Lexington.

Brute would be the one to advise on how Corpus is nowadays. Farther South, I wouldn't know.

I lived in PCola Fla for 2 years, 40 years ago and even then beachlife was crowded as heck.

Saying a prayer for a good "checkup"... don't know any of the beaches so will defer to others on that.
Beaches aren't all that relaxing for me either. Last time I was in Hawaii every time I fell asleep on the beach someone from Green Peace would come by and try to roll me back into the water!🤣🤣

Okay, I go in for my PET/CT scan on the 23rd of March to see if 6 weeks of miserable treatment worked. So, if I get a clean bill of health I would like to go somewhere, probably with sunshine. I don't mind people or cities and actually enjoy sipping a beer and people watching. I just want to be somewhere that I don't have to do anything if I don't want. I've never been to the gulf area, and we enjoy to cruise the country and explore too!

And if I don't get a clean bill of health, "F" it I still want to go somewhere!!
We go to the gulf for a week every year. Gulf Shores or Orange Beach, Alabama, also have been to Navarre, Florida a few times. We like Gulf Shores the best. We do exactly what you describe, we rent a condo right on the beach, we sit on the beach drink a few beers or margaritas, watch people, enjoy the sun, get in the water occassionally to cool off,listen to Jimmy Buffett. If you go in May it's usually not as busy, the further into summer the busier it is. We like having the condo right on the beach that way if you need to go up for food or the restroom or more drinks you can just walk up and back, no driving. I also enjoy sitting on the balcony and drinking my coffee in the mornings and watching the sun come up. It is a very relaxing way to vacation and not extremely expensive. We find our condos on VRBO.

The best sand on the Gulf is the Naples Florida area, it is like flour. But it is also very crowded and full of high rises, would not recommend. I am not familiar at all with the Texas coast, however.
Been to Naples 1 time and it is possibly the most beautiful city I've ever seen

We go to the gulf for a week every year. Gulf Shores or Orange Beach, Alabama, also have been to Navarre, Florida a few times. We like Gulf Shores the best. We do exactly what you describe, we rent a condo right on the beach, we sit on the beach drink a few beers or margaritas, watch people, enjoy the sun, get in the water occassionally to cool off,listen to Jimmy Buffett. If you go in May it's usually not as busy, the further into summer the busier it is. We like having the condo right on the beach that way if you need to go up for food or the restroom or more drinks you can just walk up and back, no driving. I also enjoy sitting on the balcony and drinking my coffee in the mornings and watching the sun come up. It is a very relaxing way to vacation and not extremely expensive. We find our condos on VRBO.
That's an interesting looking area!

If you do that area go to Lambert's in Foley. You will thank me. We haven't been there for 20 years, but there was a place called Billy's seafood where you could buy shrimp just off the trawler. Of course you would have to be in a place where you can cook. I said a prayer for you

If you do that area go to Lambert's in Foley. You will thank me. We haven't been there for 20 years, but there was a place called Billy's seafood where you could buy shrimp just off the trawler. Of course you would have to be in a place where you can cook. I said a prayer for you

If you want to people watch on the Gulf, go to Crystal Beach and rent a house on the beach during Jeep weekend (https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/Event-2022-5-21-Jeep-Weekend-Crystal-Beach-Texas-2022). We rented a big house there for the whole family last year to celebrate my 60th birthday. We didn't know it was Jeep weekend, and expected a quiet restful time on the beach. That didn't happen.

They also call it Jeep Top Down weekend, because people take the tops off their jeeps and drive up and down the beach. The jeep tops aren't the only ones that come down. And there's every kind of vehicle from mopeds to monster trucks. Sitting on our deck we saw one fist fight, one wreck, several vehicles sitting out in the water on Sunday morning because they'd been left there the night before and the tide came in, and I don't know how many "tops down". It isn't a family friendly event, and I wouldn't do it again, but it was interesting.
I say we rent the house you had last year and have a formal CT get-together there during Jeep week!

I have been to Bolivar lots of times, as my brother used to have a weekend home there.

Very familiar with the Tiki Bar and The Big Store.
Texas beaches, by law, belong to the public for the most part, meaning you can drive on them and park on them.

We're going to Fair Hope AL this year for our annual get together with friends from Louisiana. We pick a different spot every year.

If I were going to the beach for a week, I would check the clam tides. Maybe get a cabin at Iron Springs if one is available. Probably missing the sunshine part but you know how to dress for the weather.

If I were going to the beach for a week, I would check the clam tides. Maybe get a cabin at Iron Springs if one is available. Probably missing the sunshine part but you know how to dress for the weather.
Great minds think alike, we decided camping at Long Beach wa digging clams is going to be the ticket. Nice am tides and the clams are supposedly huge there now!

Great minds think alike, we decided camping at Long Beach wa digging clams is going to be the ticket. Nice am tides and the clams are supposedly huge there now!
Longbeach is OK. But I always wanted to spend a night or two at Iron Springs. Probably hard to get a cabin there during a clam tide.

We have the 5th wheel and free camping at Long Beach, I let the Boss chose.
I have dug at Longbeach a number of times. My old hunting and fishing partner lives just up the river a little ways. It is a good place for a get away vacation. Shouldn't be to invaded with tourists this time of the year.

Latest posts